WTF Community

Day 1341

1/ Trump urged Senate Republicans to replace Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg “without delay,” tweeting that filling the seat is an “obligation” they must consider. Trump, calling his shortlist of five candidates “the greatest list ever assembled,” said he plans to name his pick to replace the Ginsburg “either Friday or Saturday.” Trump added that he wants the new justice confirmed before the November election, and promised that his nominee “will be a woman.” Two GOP senators, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, both said they don’t support voting on a new nominee before voters get to vote. Democrats need two more Republicans to defect in order to prevent a confirmation. (New York Times / NPR / ABC News / Wall Street Journal / Bloomberg / CNBC / Bloomberg / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal / NPR / The Guardian / New York Times / Washington Post / Associated Press)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/09/21/day-1341/
3 Likes

Ok two down

Cory Gardner, (R-CO) is supporting the immediate replacement of the SC Justice.

1. Chuck Grassley (R-IA)

U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley said Monday that he will not oppose holding hearings or taking a vote on President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee if the proceedings move forward.

“Over the years, and as recently as July, I’ve consistently said that taking up and evaluating a nominee in 2020 would be a decision for the current chairman of the Judiciary Committee and the Senate majority leader," he said in a statement provided to the Des Moines Register. “Both have confirmed their intentions to move forward, so that’s what will happen. Once the hearings are underway, it’s my responsibility to evaluate the nominee on the merits, just as I always have.”

The statement sidesteps Grassley’s past position. In 2016, he was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and became the face of Republican efforts to block Democratic President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee, Merrick Garland.

3 Likes

A Crisis Made in America: Yemen on Brink of Famine After U.S. Cuts Aid While Fueling War

2 Likes

U.S. Isolated at U.N. as Push to Ramp Up Pressure on Iran Fails

“We don’t need a cheering section,” said Trump’s U.N ambassador. But Washington does need international compliance to make snapback sanctions work.

Trump in Ohio: “I like Putin. Putin likes me.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvL33pZmsXM

The unanswered question of our time: Is Trump an agent of Russia?

Neither Mueller nor the FBI took it on. It’s crucial someone does. This is a case for super-secret mole hunters.

Washington Post: CIA assessment says Putin ‘probably directing’ efforts to interfere in 2020 election against Biden

2 Likes

@Windthin that AP article in your post – congrats to the headline writer who has no fucks left to give:

US says all UN sanctions on Iran restored, but world yawns

The entire article (and situation in general) reads like a petulant child haughtily and loudly demanding the attention of a roomful of adults who all just look on expressionlessly waiting for the tantrum to end so they can go back to their real conversations.

U.S. officials have talked tough about their intentions to ensure the sanctions are enforced, but it remains unclear how the administration will respond to being ignored

:point_up_2:

“It’s very painful to see how a great country humiliates itself like this"

ouch, and YEP! :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I have noticed the level of snark in headlines and elsewhere rising.

Here is one from over the weekend. I saw about this when it happened, but there weren’t any articles about it immediately. Trump also got it wrong and said it was a tear gas canister, then mocked him and said he was on the ground crying “my knee my knee” and the police didn’t care.

Trump Describes Journalist Hit By Rubber Bullet As ‘A Beautiful Sight’

And then this:

NYPD officer charged with spying for China

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Susan Glasser lived in Russia for some time. She has seen aauthoritarian rule up front and clearly also with this proclamation from Sen.Lindsay Graham.

The R’s have the vote…and they put in who they want even if there is no candidate. #MobRule.

But Graham looks scared is the commentary on him.

Video

3 Likes

And there goes Mitt Romney (R-UT) who says that Liberals have gotten too used to having a liberal court and that’s not the way it is ‘written in the stars.’

2 Likes