WTF Community

Day 1342

1/ Trump lied and claimed that the coronavirus “affects virtually nobody” as the U.S. death toll crossed 200,000 – more people in the U.S. than the combined number of Americans killed in the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan, and the Persian Gulf War. The number of U.S. deaths is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 67 days. The U.S. death toll is expected to double to 400,000 by the end of the year as schools and colleges reopen and cold weather sets in. In March, Trump said 200,000 deaths would mean that his administration had “done a very good job” of protecting Americans from the coronavirus. “A lot of people think that goes away in April, with the heat,” Trump said in February, and later this summer, Trump told Fox News: “It’s going to disappear, and I’ll be right eventually.” Meanwhile at a rally in Ohio today, Trump bragged that he’s done an “amazing” and “incredible” job, adding: “The only thing we’ve done a bad job in is public relations because we haven’t been able to convince people — which is basically the fake news — what a great job we’ve done.” The U.S. has the highest death toll of any country in the world, accounting for about 21% of the global death toll despite representing only 4% of the world’s population. Trump added: “By the way, open your schools!” (New York Times / CNN / Associated Press / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal / CNBC / ABC News / Bloomberg / Los Angeles Times / Vox)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2020/09/22/day-1342/
3 Likes

And going after election RESULTS. Glad to know what the ‘play’ is…at the end of election night, a Russian-influenced misinformation campaign declares Trump the winner…and yet he is not.
Getting the T supporters behind this is an effective way to sow discord.

WTF

The FBI and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency warned the public Tuesday that foreign actors might spread disinformation about the results of the 2020 election and encouraged voters to be patient with delayed results.

The increased use of mail-in ballots due to COVID-19 protocols could leave officials with incomplete results on election night,” the agencies said in a statement, highlighting the possibility that “foreign actors and cybercriminals” could use disinformation to "exploit the time required to certify and announce elections’ results."

The warning follows news of a CIA assessment that Russian President Vladimir Putin and his top aides “are aware of and probably directing Russia’s influence operations” aimed at interfering in the 2020 election, according to a Washington Post report published Tuesday. President Donald Trump and several top Republican allies have recently sought to cast China as the greatest threat to the election, even as evidence continues to emerge suggesting Russia is already interfering, as FBI Director Christopher Wray explicitly told House lawmakers last week.

The FBI and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency released a public service announcement on Tuesday warning that mail-in ballots “could leave officials with incomplete results on election night,” and that foreign actors are likely to spread disinformation about the delays.

The bottom line: The agencies called on the public to “critically evaluate the sources of the information they consume and to seek out reliable and verified information from trusted sources,” including state and local election officials.

The big picture: The agencies expect foreign malign actors to disseminate false reports of “voter suppression, cyberattacks targeting election infrastructure, voter or ballot fraud, and other problems intended to convince the public of the elections’ illegitimacy.”

• In addition, the perpetrators “could create new websites, change existing websites, and create or share corresponding social media content to spread false information in an attempt to discredit the electoral process and undermine confidence in U.S. democratic institutions.”

Between the lines: The alert echoes the warning of FBI Director Chris Wray, who last week told Congress he fears a “steady drumbeat of misinformation and sort of amplification of smaller cyber intrusions” could sow distrust in the results of the election.

• President Trump has been among the most high-profile figures to stoke fears of election-night fraud, warning in an interview with “Axios on HBO” that “lots of things can happen” with voting by mail if the presidential race isn’t decided on election night.
  • Election experts say there’s a good chance that the presidential race won’t be decided on election night because of the large volume of mail-in voting, but this does not mean that widespread fraud or an inaccurate count should be anticipated.

Go deeper: The lines are blurring between foreign and domestic disinformation

4 Likes

I mean, she’s not wrong, he is an ugly tyrant clown, but I think this person had WAY bigger issues… apparently the other letters were an attempted revenge on prison guards or prisoners (uncertain) where she was jailed for a year in Texas.

Canadian woman charged with sending deadly poison ricin to Trump called him ‘Ugly Tyrant Clown’ in letter

A Canadian woman criminally charged with mailing President Donald Trump the deadly poison ricin called him “The Ugly Tyrant Clown” in a letter containing the chemical, according to a criminal complaint.
Pascale Cecile Veronique Ferrier of Quebec was apprehended Sunday at the U.S. border in Buffalo, New York.

A Canadian woman criminally charged with mailing President Donald Trump the deadly poison ricin called him “The Ugly Tyrant Clown” in a letter containing the poison, according to a criminal complaint unsealed Tuesday.

The woman, Pascale Cecile Veronique Ferrier, was ordered held without bail after appearing Tuesday in federal court in Buffalo, New York, for the first time in the case on a charge of threatening the president of the United States.

Ferrier, 54, was apprehended Sunday at the U.S. border in Buffalo, where she told American authorities that she was wanted by the FBI for sending “the ricin letters” to Trump and other people, the complaint said.

Ferrier, who lives in the city of Laval, just north of Montreal, also was allegedly carrying a loaded firearm and a knife when she was arrested.

In the letter Ferrier mailed to the White House from Canada, a note addressed to Trump said, “I found a new name for you: ‘The Ugly Tyrant Clown.’ I hope you like it,” the complaint says.

“You ruin USA and lead them to disaster. I have US cousins, then [sic] I don’t want the next 4 years with you as president,” the note said.

“Give up and remove your application for this election. So I made a ‘Special Gift’ for you to make a decision. This gift is in this letter. If it doesn’t work, I’ll find better recipe for another poison, or I might use my gun when I’ll be able to come. Enjoy. FREE REBEL SPIRIT”.”

Trump never saw the letter, which was received at the White House’s mail sorting center last Friday.

According to the FBI, Ferrier on Sept. 9 posted messages on Twitter and Facebook that said ”#killTrump” and used wording such as “Ugly Clown Tyrant.”

Ferrier also allegedly sent six other letters containing a powdery substance to people who work in Texas jails and detention centers where she had been incarcerated year, after being arrested in March 2019 on a weapons possession charge in Mission, Texas , according to the complaint.

Those letters, mailed from Canada and received last week at the facilities in Texas, were found to contain fingerprints that matched those of Ferrier.

Those letters, like the letter to Trump, contained the phrase “if it doesn’t work I will find a better recipe,” and the signature block that said ’FREE REBEL SPIRIT,” the complaint says.

During her appearance in court on Tuesday, Ferrier asked a judge to appoint a lawyer for her, after saying she did not plan to hire a private attorney.

The court-appointed lawyer said that Ferrier wanted both an identity hearing, which will require prosecutors to prove she is the person identified in the criminal complaint, and a probable cause hearing, which will require them to show that there is sufficient evidence to justify the charges.

Those hearings will be held Monday.
Ferrier told U.S. border authorities that she was wanted by the FBI for sending ricin letters to Trump and others, the complaint said.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: US in crisis - Black Lives Matter Fallout - National and local responses

A post was merged into an existing topic: More Questionable Behavior from Trump, T Admin, DOJ, and R’s vs Dems, Press, Justice

A post was merged into an existing topic: More Questionable Behavior from Trump, T Admin, DOJ, and R’s vs Dems, Press, Justice

Another for the BLM thread:

There was a willful effort to coverup the murder of Breonna Taylor. All three, and perhaps more, should be charged.

Louisville grand jury indicts 1 of 3 officers in fatal Breonna Taylor police shooting

UPDATE:

Turns out the one officer being charged isn’t even the one who fired the fatal shots, and is only being charged with wanton endangerment for firing three bullets that went into a neighboring place and endangered others.

It’s going to get bad in Louisville tonight.

4 Likes

Kenosha gunman Kyle Rittenhouse hit with federal civil rights lawsuit

The suit claims he, militia groups, and other individuals violated their constitutional right to protest using intimidation while inflicting emotional distress and physical harm.

Kenosha gunman Kyle Rittenhouse hit with federal civil rights lawsuit as he awaits trial

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.