WTF Community

Day 1448

1/ Pence rejected Trump’s demand to block certification of Biden’s win, saying only lawmakers can decide whether to accept or reject the Electoral College votes. On Tuesday, Pence told Trump that he does not have the authority to reject the electoral votes from states he lost. The meeting came hours after Trump inaccurately tweeted “The Vice President has the power to reject fraudulently chosen electors.” This statement is not true and the vice president does not have the unilateral power to alter the results sent to Congress. On Wednesday, Pence informed lawmakers that he was rebuffing Trump’s demand as lawmakers gathered for a joint session of Congress to count the electoral votes, saying “It is my considered judgment that my oath to support and defend the Constitution constrains me from claiming unilateral authority to determine which electoral votes should be counted and which should not.” (Politico / CNN / New York Times / Axios / USA Today)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2021/01/06/day-1448/
2 Likes

@matt
Thank you Matt for a fine summary of the sad events on what should have been a joyous day for America.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.