WTF Community

Day 189

1/ The Department of Justice is arguing that the Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees from discrimination. The DOJ filed an amicus brief (meaning the government isn’t a party in the case) weighing in on a private employment lawsuit. They argue that while Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act bars the discrimination in the workplace based on “race, color, religion, sex or national origin," it does not protect employees from discrimination based on sexual orientation despite “notable changes in societal and cultural attitudes.” The brief claimed that the federal government has a “substantial and unique interest” in the proper interpretation of Title VII because it's the largest employer in the country. (New York Times / BuzzFeed News)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2017/07/27/day-189/

1/ The Department of Justice is arguing that the Civil Rights Act does not protect gay employees from discrimination.

2/ The Joint Chiefs said there will be “no modifications” to the military’s transgender policy until Trump clarifies what he meant.

3/ Trump has discussed a recess appointment to replace Jeff Sessions.

…this afternoon will most likely turn to health care as the Senate begins it’s stupid-named “vote-a-rama” process.

I need a fuckin drink. :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Ok late night Twitter session actually ended on a good note?? I’m fucking exhausted so I’m not taking it all in properly, but I read a few key phrases " GOP drowns in McConnell’s tears", saw quite a few jerk-off motions and even a nice write up of McCain getting credit while the women who did more to stop it getting thru got glossed over. But hey, read this and know you’re not the one talking to herself (at least I’m typing silently so my cat can’t judge me speaking out loud like normal) lmao. Nite all, hope your days are smashingly fabulous tomorrow!

1 Like

t’was a long night last night for sure. ended on the right note, though. yay us.

1 Like

Aaaaaand there’s the bait n switch. What they brought out wasn’t the also-stupidly-named skinny bill was it. I’ve had enuf for one day I need warm blankets some scotch and a cat.

(courtesy the ever awesome @sweartrek)

1 Like