WTF Community

Day 196

1/ Trump urged the Mexican president to stop publicly saying that he would never pay for the border wall, during their January 27 call. “You cannot say that to the press,” Trump repeatedly told Enrique Peña Nieto. “If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that."

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2017/08/03/day-196/
1 Like

Trump’s aggressive, abrasive manner in dealing with the leaders of friendly nations is disturbing. His love and respect for Putin are downright bizarre. It was interesting to read how Trump tried to “sweet talk” President Nieto into going along with the whole “Mexico is going to pay for the Wall” BS. Trump is so used to being enabled by sycophants that he is having a difficult time coming to terms with foreign leaders who refuse to play his childish games. Trump is still acting like he is in the lead role of The Apprentice. It turns out that being POTUS requires intelligence, knowledge, skill, and the ability to place the good of the country ahead of personal selfish desires. Trump is in over his head and on some level he knows it.

Senate unanimously blocks Trump from making recess appointments
Worth noting: Lisa Murkowski(!) made the announcement of the pro forma session

4 Likes

Well that’s a nice sigh of relief.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, “the local milk people?” Just now reading they today’s briefing, came across that line and had to straighten up from my slouched position bc my insides can’t decide what kind of laughter to blurt out.

1 Like

can’t wait to dress up as a local milk person for halloween

1 Like

Ok I’m over myself now, and yes thank fuck the recess spots are blocked omg! I’d also really like to be in the room and make drumpf face Mattis’ bulldog stare while he criticizes the military in person instead of twitter. Kinda want to be in on the interviews for the new Planetary Protection Officer opening at NASA too.

I thought she was growing an actual backbone, but it looks like she was just propped up against a wall for a week or two. Ah well.

2 Likes

@matt Lmfaoooooo​:joy_cat::raised_hands:t3: Was going to say I’ll drive the getaway car but realized milk ppl apparently aren’t nefarious. Fuck.

Well, said! If you want a sobering review of the last 9 months you might want to check out Keith Olbermann’s videos entitled The Resistance. It’s mind-boggling to see how often Trump has said ridiculous and dangerous things.

Fyi, I thought it was worth pointing out Murkowski clarified her announcement on Twitter:

Reports suggesting that I blocked the President’s ability to make recess appointments during the August state work period are false and amount to fake news. I was asked to read the final orders adjourning the Senate last night as a courtesy because I was still on the Senate Floor, working to broker a deal to confirm two FERC [Federal Energy Regulatory Commission] nominees and restore a quorum to that critical independent agency. I did not seek pro forma sessions; Senate Democrats would not agree to adjourn without them.

1 Like