WTF Community

Day 272

Updated 10/18/2017 10:31 AM PDT

1/ Trump denied telling the widow of a fallen soldier "he knew what he signed up for," contradicting a Florida congresswoman who was with the woman at the time. "Basically, he said, 'Well, I guess he knew what he signed up for," Congresswoman Frederica Wilson said, recounting the conversation she heard on speakerphone. "But I guess it still hurt.' That's what he said." Trump tweeted that the "Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof)," raising questions about whether Trump tapes calls and conversations. The mother of the fallen soldier stood behind Wilson's account, saying that Trump "did disrespect" the family with his comments during the call. (Washington Post / ABC News)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2017/10/18/day-272/
1 Like

Holy fucking shit why are these numbers so high?? I’d harrumph that I’m going to bed except I have a fucking avocado that will be ripe for precisely 80 seconds when I get home from work and plan dinner.

2 Likes
1 Like

Whoa. That flew under the radar.

1 Like

Of course, in the 11th hour of Day 272, there’s one more interesting story! :face_with_monocle:

They work. Four. Fucking. DAYS A WEEK!? I honestly had no idea. Maybe I knew that and forgot, but I’m astounded regardless. I know some of them probably work harder and longer hours than the public generally thinks, but ulgh these fuckwits can go fuck themselves. I had a whole longer rant about them representing states with not super great worker protection laws but I’m too annoyed to make it coherent so I’ll just have to leave it at :fu:t3:.

1 Like

Actually, “Monday evening to early Thursday afternoon” is 2.5 days, not 4 :laughing: Although that’s probably just when the chamber is in session. They need the other 3.5 days for political fundraising :wink:

Also apropos of nothing, this Congress is among the oldest in history…

https://www.legistorm.com/congress_by_numbers.html

I suppose that’s ageist, but many people work longer under a different kind of high stress for far less than $174,000+ per year…

It’s also concerning when Senators can’t find their way around anymore :confused:

The 79-year-old Cochran appeared frail and at times disoriented during a brief hallway interview on Wednesday. He was unable to answer whether he would remain chairman of the Appropriations Committee, and at one point, needed a staffer to remind him where the Senate chamber is located.

Pat Tiberi (R-OH) is a middle-of-the-road mainstream Republican first elected to Congress in 2000 who has written many bipartisan bills. He’s a senior leader on the Tax Policy Subcommittee and chairman of the Joint Economic Committee.

Political Ideology and Leadership Spectrum

So far, 7 of 24 Republicans are leaving the top House Ways and Means Committee next year.

3 of those 7 are running for governor instead:

• Noem (R-SD)
  • Renacci (R-OH)
  • Black (R-TN)

The other 4 are retiring or resigning:

• Tiberi (R-OH)
  • Johnson (R-TX)
  • Reichert (R-WA)
  • Jenkins (R-KS)

Oh, and apparently the House actually calls its change of membership record the “casualty list”…

1 Like

@john Does the Senate publish a similar “casualty list” for retirees?

This is just…I can’t. Why would they publish something called the casualty list?!

@seabass - it looks like the House’s list includes the Senate too, way at the bottom.

2 Likes

@mouseam thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ulgh this obtuse self-absorbed dickhat, every time I see his face I want to punch it. I mean, at least he retweeted something positive? Nope, still fuckin hate him.

At first I thought this was in response to McConnell holding the Senate in session longer (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/18/senate-work-weeks-2017-mitch-mcconnell-243902), but then realized he’s in the House… Also: who the fuck is Pat Tiberi?

2 Likes

Good call. Avocados are expensive.

1 Like

I know… I only caught it because Ben Wittes did a “boom!” tweet posting it.

1 Like

I gotta say Daily Beast has been doing some good reporting in this realm.