WTF Community

Day 277

Updated 10/23/2017 10:46 AM PDT

1/ Betsy DeVos rescinded 72 guidelines that protect the rights of disabled students. The Department of Education called the policies "outdated, unnecessary, or ineffective." (Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2017/10/23/day-277/

Ivanka Trump Pushes for Tax Reform at Bucks County Town Hall

Apparently, at some point, I got added onto the White House email distro – I thought I had unsubscribed but somehow I got back on it. There are usually some gems. Today, I caught this one caught my eye and there are so many questions….

1. Why Bucks County, PA?! This county went Republican for Senator and House Rep….but went for Hillary. Also, its right next to Phila – which very clearly went for Hillary. This isn’t his “base”.
  2. Most importantly, WHY IS IVANKA HOLDING A TOWNHALL ON TAX REFORM?! If Trump doesn’t have the guts to do it, then at least sent Mnuchin or even Mulvaney, their position at least suggest they know what they are talking about (even if they don’t).
2 Likes

I just saw it today, but The Military Times published an article (10/23) about their recent poll which I found rather fascinating:

The troops were polled about a month after Charlottesville.

When asked whether white nationalists pose a threat to national security, 30 percent of respondents labeled it a significant danger, more than many international hot spots, like Syria (27 percent), Pakistan (25 percent), Afghanistan (22 percent) and Iraq (17 percent).

There were also responses like

“You do realize white nationalists and racists are two totally different types of people?” wrote another anonymous Air Force staff sergeant.

But overall, it seems there’s a larger percentage that view this shit as a threat. VetsAgainstTrump called it “game changing,” not a long thread but engaging commentary.

Again I’m not military myself so if there are others on here with thoughts I’d love to hear them.