WTF Community

Day 320

Updated 12/5/2017 9:39 AM PST

1/ Robert Mueller issued a subpoena for Trump's banking records. The move forced Deutsche Bank – Trump's biggest lender – to turn over documents related to certain credit transactions and the $300 million Trump owes the lender. Legal experts said it showed Mueller was "following the money" in search of links between the campaign and the Kremlin since Deutsche Bank may have sold some of Trump’s mortgage or loans to Russian-owned banks, which could potentially give Russia leverage over Trump. (The Guardian / Bloomberg / Reuters)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2017/12/05/day-320/
1 Like

A little reminder about K.T. McFarland’s departure from the National Security Council.

4 Likes

possibly relevant to some interests, in the poll article about strong vs weak trump supporters and opponents, the poll found 40% of people support impeachment, 56% do not support impeachment.

I have to wonder how many of the 56% are weighing the options of a Pence presidency.

I think the election should be considered invalid, myself.

4 Likes

Good questions to be asked in future polls!

Man, #5 doesn’t sound like the beginnings of the US branch of the KGB at all…

4 Likes

Trying something different with the podcast today: no more background music underneath the news items. We’re also looking for suggestions on how to incorporate the new “Notables” section into the podcast in audio form. What could we do to incorporate the notables into the podcast that would provide additional value to listeners?

My inbox is wide open, folks!

2 Likes

Bill Clinton was impeached. It cost the taxpayers a lot of money. It dominated the media for months. In the end, he was still a sitting president. Maybe a part of the 56% just do not want that possible outcome.

1 Like

Hey Matt, regarding Trump’s private spy network, I think it’d be good to remind people that Blackwater founder Erik Prince is Betsy DeVos’s brother. You know, the extremely controversial and unqualified pick for Secretary of Education.

5 Likes

Good call. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Which outcome? Impeaching Trump only for him to remain a sitting president? Or, spending a lot of money?

1 Like

That’s EXACTLY the type of feedback we’re looking for. Thanks! I’ll pass this along to @matt so we can discuss. Keep an ear out for these kinds of changes and tweaks throughout the week, and keep the comments coming!

3 Likes

Zilla wrote, “I have to wonder how many of the 56% are weighing the options of a Pence presidency.”
My point is that it is possible that a portion of the 56% remember the Clinton impeachment and that’s why they are not in support of it. Trump could still be a sitting president after the impeachment process. It’s not a guarantee that it will get rid of Trump. That’s the outcome I was talking about. The one where he’s impeached and still president.

2 Likes

If he isn’t impeached, he’s still going to be president anyway, so I don’t really know about that.

1 Like

The impeachment process of Bill Clinton was initiated by the House of Representatives on December 19, 1998, against Bill Clinton, the 42nd President of the United States, on two charges, one of perjury and one of obstruction of justice.[1] These charges stemmed from a sexual harassment lawsuit filed against Clinton by Paula Jones. Clinton was subsequently acquitted of these charges by the Senate on February 12, 1999.[2] Two other impeachment articles – a second perjury charge and a charge of abuse of power – failed in the House.

Leading to the impeachment, Independent Counsel Ken Starr turned over documentation to the House Judiciary Committee. Chief Prosecutor David Schippers and his team reviewed the material and determined there was sufficient evidence to impeach the president. As a result, four charges were considered by the full House of Representatives; two passed, making Clinton the second president to be impeached, after Andrew Johnson in 1868, and only the third against whom articles of impeachment had been brought before the full House for consideration (Richard Nixon resigned from the presidency in 1974, while an impeachment process against him was underway).

The trial in the United States Senate began right after the seating of the 106th Congress, in which the Republican Party began with 55 senators. A two-thirds vote (67 senators) was required to remove Clinton from office. 50 senators voted to remove Clinton on the obstruction of justice charge and 45 voted to remove him on the perjury charge; no member of his own Democratic Party voted guilty on either charge. Clinton, like Johnson a century earlier, was acquitted on all charges.

Can you really see any Republican senator voting to impeach Trump?

Zilla, I feel the election should be deemed invalid too and you are the only other person I’ve heard express this. Once all the dots are connected the conclusion has to be that Trump and his campaign conspired with a foreign adversary to undermine our democratic voting system to elect a president, thus the election was never valid. If the election is invalidated then Pence goes too, problem solved. When Hillary was asked about possibilities of this with her then recognized as the real winner of the election to be POTUS, she replied, our government “has no mechanism for this”… Once we get through this mess, a mechanism should be put into place.

2 Likes

Totally makes sense. Thanks!

I think a “and this concludes the WTFJHT briefing. Stay tuned for Notables on other events” with pause before diving in “Other notables of the day include…”.

Is that the type of feedback you are looking for?

Thanks!

4 Likes

I have gone back and forth on including it at least a dozen times for the reasons you just stated. There’s something weird about it.

2 Likes

That’s the one that made me sit up and take notice. It’s like this “trump” tv. And people who truly believe that Trump is the only one telling the truth, There is something much darker going on with this administration, I think.

2 Likes