WTF Community

Day 356

Updated 1/10/2018 10:26 AM PST

1/ A federal judge blocked the Trump administration's attempt to end DACA, the Obama-era program that allows undocumented immigrants who entered the country as children to remain in the United States. San Francisco-based U.S. District Court Judge William Alsup said Jeff Sessions' claim that the program is illegal was "based on a flawed legal premise," and ordered the administration to resume accepting new DACA applications. (Politico / Reuters)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/01/10/day-356/

On the DACA ruling, the judge didn’t order them to “resume accepting new DACA applications.” He allowed for people who already have DACA to reapply. I think that people with new applications weren’t part of the lawsuit, but I’m not certain about that. If they’re not, there might be another case out there for them.

Here is a direct link to the the (200+ pg!) report:

3 Likes

Certainly. Here’s the ruling, and the part I’m talking about is at pp 46-47: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4345906/1-9-18-DACA-Opinion.pdf

4 Likes

Apparently I accidentally uploaded the audio from Tuesday’s update to yesterday’s post. Ugh! My bad, folks. It should be fixed now, but here’s the link to yesterday’s audio, just in case: Day 356 | What The Fuck Just Happened Today?

2 Likes

I think a lot of news outlets were mis-stating this yesterday, unfortunately. I read several headlines wording saying the court ruled that new applications were to be accepted.

I just went back to the Politico article and it confirms, as well that it does not apply to new applications:

”the ruling will allow former DACA recipients who failed to renew by an October 5 deadline a chance to submit renewal applications and will also require the administration to allow renewal of applications expiring in the future. The decision does not require officials to accept new applications for DACA status.”

1 Like

I misread it, too and got the update wrong yesterday.

@kvomacka, can you quote and cite from your source on that? It helps have a more in-depth and well-informed conversation the more research we have within easy reach.

2 Likes

Thanks for this doc @mouseam I’ve been thinking a lot about this unpreparedness lately. Ever since it officially hit 2018 I’m like fuck, this election is so close and we’ve got no fuckin clue.

2 Likes