WTF Community

Day 365

Updated 1/19/2018 10:16 AM PST

1/ The Senate is heading toward a showdown vote on spending legislation to keep the government open past midnight. Democrats appear ready to vote against the short-term spending bill in an effort to secure concessions that would offer protections for young undocumented immigrants, increase domestic spending, provide aid to Puerto Rico, and more. The Senate adjourned Thursday night without scheduling a vote. (New York Times / Politico)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/01/19/day-365/

This still isn’t a 100% confirmed yet. WaPo puts it as he “may hold off” - I also heard some other rumblings that he is just planning to go tomorrow morning if it doesn’t pass.

While the govt shutdown nears, Florida is poppin’ with Trumpettes!

“Welcome to Mar-a-Lago, a magnificent place! It sure ain’t no shithole.” (Jeanine Pirro)

WaPo’s insider account by the awesome, David Fahrenthold:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/these-are-our-true-friends-trump-fans-flock-to-a-mar-a-lago-celebration/2018/01/19/ba0b7678-fcd3-11e7-a46b-a3614530bd87_story.html?utm_term=.ce94cc18f214

Buzzfeed also went into swamp pit for a glance:

2 Likes

Saw this timeline in circulation today, it’s spot on.

5 Likes

Love the Swamp Things section addition.

Wow this story finally boiled over! WTF, guys!

According to the website Hamilton 68, which tracks Russian-linked Twitter accounts, #ReleaseTheMemo was the top hashtag being promoted Thursday and Friday by such accounts. And WikiLeaks, the anti-secrecy group, offered $1 million in bitcoin to anyone who would share the memo, and directed people to a web address. That URL was the most shared among the Russian-linked accounts, according to Hamilton 68.

1 Like

Mitch McConnell voted no? Huh. :thinking:

I noticed this on Hamilton 68 last night…I kinda thought it was one of those things that would be trending later at night by typically would blow over by the time I was (this actually happens more frequently than you would expect), but when I saw it still trending this morning - I had a feeling it was all downhill from there!!

This was 1/18 at 9:30pm PST…

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t understand McConnell’s motives. Looks bad on him though.

1 Like

Mitch voted no based on procedural issues. Apparently, this allows him to bring it back for another vote without making any changes. He obviously knew it wasn’t going to fly the first time around. Perhaps he thought that the Dems would come to their senses after another 24 hours of talk.?! Silly Mitch!!:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thursday night, my guilty pleasure is watching Scandal while following its Twitter feed. There’s a lot of back and forth chatter between fans. This past Thursday it seemed as if every other tweet had to do with this memo, implying that it was the big “scandal” in DC right now. The comments were rude and inappropriate, but mostly intrusive. Nobody who was in that tweet thread cared much about the memo. But it did register with me and maybe that’s what they intended…to plant a seed in a few peoples’ heads. It never dawned on me that it could have been engineered.

1 Like

Oh, I’m so glad I got to read the WaPo article. Hard to pick a favorite line, but it might be this one:

"Earlier in the night, Lara Lea Trump had told this crowd that the president had sacrificed his life at this place in Florida for the good of the country.

“He would much rather be down here every weekend, golfing, enjoying himself,” she said."

1 Like

What the actual fuck? I don’t understand…he wants to have a shutdown just so he can spin more bullshit and blame the dems? Or is it just more basic and moronic than that and I’m reading too much “chess” into it.

2 Likes