WTF Community

Day 368

Updated 1/22/2018 8:49 AM PST

1/ The Senate will vote today at noon on a plan to reopen the federal government. Democrats say there is still no concrete deal on the table, even as Mitch McConnell pleaded with the Senate to end the shutdown. "Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O," Chuck Schumer said. "It's next to impossible." (Politico / Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/01/22/day-368/

You beat me to it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Multiple Democratic Senators report that they expect to pass the CR this afternoon. They are getting ready to vote now.

1 Like

Congressional Dā€™s yet again show themselves to be completely spineless. Pathetic.

2 Likes

Wait, did he actually say ā€œgoodwill of the Republicansā€?

1 Like

Another big win for #FairMaps!!

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/308142/5a663afbfe1ff6657b1df8a8/YXNobGV5Lm1vdWxkZXJAYmNiZy5jb20%3D/2/10/1ed19f9b452b952c5aa17f5119aa9896

7 Likes
2 Likes

A couple of noteworthy stories that Iā€™m not including in todayā€™s update:

2 Likes

!!! :point_down:t3:

1 Like

ā€œWe havenā€™t determined that. We are hopeful we donā€™t have to do that and we donā€™t have to get there,ā€ Sanders responded. ā€œWe would like Democrats to get serious about solving problems.ā€

Yup, thereā€™s that Republican goodwill Chris Coons mentioned in action.

Pretty good run down from Vox on what the Dems did get out of this deal. CHIP is safe, Dreamers are next. Sit tight guys and keep calling your reps! We need to keep the pressure high!

3 Likes

Interesting counterpoints here. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

This hasnā€™t fully convinced me. I understand that we donā€™t want to push the envelope on making dysfunctional all-out warfare on policy issues, but how much longer can Democrats get played before losing their identity entirely?

Iā€™m reminded of this game developed to show how trust works. When it gets to the later examples of groups of people with different mechanisms, I like to think of it as a metaphor for the legislative bodies.

1 Like

Like, this canā€™t be real life. :scream:

1 Like

We only have so many votes in the house and senate, that limits our plays substantially. As they say in baseball, ā€œtake the easy outā€. We sercured funding for CHIP, thatā€™s one down. :fist:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s entirely fair, but I donā€™t think that was ever on the Republican agenda to axe, so it doesnā€™t seem like much of a win, to me. Itā€™s crumbs next to additional tax cuts that are going to gut the ACA.

Meh, February 8th is only 13 business days away and the Dream Act is ready to be brought to the floor. If the Dems do not secure a vote on the floor of the house and the senate during this time, then they have failed and the shut down will happen again.

3 Likes