WTF Community

Day 370

Updated 1/24/2018 9:55 AM PST

1/ Michael Flynn didn't tell the White House about his 2017 interview with the FBI. Flynn met privately with FBI investigators a year ago today to discuss his communications with Russia's ambassador. The meeting took place without a lawyer present and without the knowledge of the president or top White House officials. (NBC News)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/01/24/day-370/
2 Likes

Wow, just wow, so much to unpack here. I literally can’t even. Ugh!

3 Likes

I thought these two articles helped contextualize the past 24-hours well:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2018/01/24/daily-202-public-opinion-is-protecting-mueller-s-investigation-for-now/5a67ec9b30fb0469e884033f/?utm_term=.18e733887d58

4 Likes

Fuck, this is heavy shit. We are in a serious constitutional crisis. :pensive:

4 Likes

I’m starting to think WTFJHT needs something that breaks out of the “today” aspect and instead looks a particular storyline… like, this week is a tick tock leading up to an obstruction charge, but it’s probably not clear if you haven’t read everything.

Would love to get thoughts on this…

3 Likes

This is also a nice tick tock on the week:

On Tuesday, The New York Times first reported that Mueller questioned Attorney General Jeff Sessions for several hours last week. “In recent weeks, Mr. Mueller has told the president’s lawyers that he will most likely want to interview Mr. Trump about the firing of the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, and about the former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn,” the Times writes. Remember, Sessions played a key role in Comey’s firing.

Also on Tuesday, NBC’s Ken Dilanian confirmed that Mueller’s team also spoke with former FBI Director Comey late last year. “The focus of the interview was the memos he wrote about his interactions with President Trump, the source [close to him] says.”

This morning, NBC’s Carol Lee reported that Mueller’s investigators also interviewed CIA Director Mike Pompeo, “who was allegedly asked by Trump to lean on Comey to drop his investigation.”

And last night, The Washington Post wrote that after Trump had fired Comey, he met with Acting Director Andrew McCabe in the Oval Office and asked him this question: Who did you vote for in the 2016 election? “McCabe said he didn’t vote, according to the officials… Trump, the officials said, also vented his anger at McCabe over the several hundred thousand dollars in donations that his wife, a Democrat, received for her failed 2015 Virginia state Senate bid from a political action committee controlled by a close friend of Hillary Clinton.”

4 Likes

:flushed:

3 Likes

But with his last breath, said it was subject to his lawyers…? Same shit, different day?

He often likes to generate headlines that put him in a favorable light with “his base”, only later to throw
water on whatever the deal was, & hope that no one notices, or that we’re too dizzy from all the spin.

1 Like

That makes sense but rather a sizable challenge to re-organize now?

Perhaps make a “Tick Tock” -titled curated thread? I like that we have a daily briefing, it’s so nice having each day broken down, and the notables are a great fucking addition.

3 Likes

@matt what if you created another thread on the main site like the Russia Investigation and Fake News ones but it’s about the obstruction of justice case, since that seems to be the avenue the special counsel is taking? It’s a much shorter time frame, way less dots to connect. The plot points are easier to understand and there is that video of the President saying he fired FBI Director Comey because of the Russian Investigation. Maybe it’s nessesary to separate these two investigations a bit more even though they have the same origin?

3 Likes

yeah, you’re probably right

If each entry were tagged, one could call up all the stories relating to a particular narrative, and building a timeline would be dynamic and easy.

essentially what i do behind the scenes but without manually tagging things. just haven’t put those tools out front for everybody, yet

What with the GOP-slime still running interference, inventing the bullshit memo to smear the FBI’s reputation in the court of public opinion…yes, this is how authoritarians take power, & there goes human rights- including free speech. It really pisses me off when trump & legal team whine that they want to “testify” in writing! Wouldn’t surprise me if trump ends up taking the 5th, hoping his base will stand by their man… I guess we’ll see?

Mueller is still working on the Russian conspiracy etc, but I hope (& think he must?) move ahead with the obstruction of justice charge soon, otherwise there is just TOO f’ing much damage that trump will do in the meantime…including the enlargement of his base, as more & more of our citizens become his mushrooms. (you know, “kept in the dark, & fed a lot of shit”)

I find myself hating the voice of Sarah Suckabee Sanders ALMOST as much as that of twittler himself.
At least we can delight in knowing how long ago Flynn was interviewed by Mueller, sans attorney etc.
:smirk:

But it just makes me furious when the GOP keeps trying to normalize all the “antics”…like asking who a federal employee voted for. (yet another “loyalty test”!) That tells you quite a lot about the GOP, folks.

1 Like

Oh man… this is terrible. Today barely even registered on my “outrage scale”. :fearful: This is very, very not good.

3 Likes