WTF Community

Day 379

Updated 2/2/2018 10:14 AM PST

1/ Trump approved the release the Nunes memo after first attacking both the FBI and Justice Department in an early-morning tweet. He accused them of having "politicized the sacred investigative process in favor of Democrats." The memo, which alleges anti-Trump bias at the FBI and DOJ, was approved for release without the redactions that the FBI and the Justice Department had lobbied for. The House Intelligence Committee then made the memo public. Trump told reporters, "I think it's a disgrace what's happening in our country… A lot of people should be ashamed of themselves and much worse than that." (New York Times / Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/02/02/day-379/
1 Like

I’ve been alternately watching CNN and MSNBC since the release this morning. It sounds like this is a great big meh. Everything I’ve heard today suggests that there was a rigorous review of the situation prior to obtaining the first FISA warrant, including independent reviews by 4 judges. Carter Page had already been under investigation so there was a basis to believe he might be up to something. Trump is acting self righteous. Nunes is being labeled as Trump’s stooge with the implication that the WH was behind the memo. Ryan is coming under fire as being complicit in allowing this craziness to continue. The stock market has taken a dramatic fall. It seems to me that this was a Trump inspired maneuver to throw off the Russian investigation and to give him justification to proceed with his own Saturday Night Massacre. Of course, I’m not watching news coming from the right but the left is totally dumping on the claims and the significance of the memo, going so far as to say this is going to backfire on Trump. The stockmarket seems to be confirming that. I wonder when the next poll on the President’s performance will take place? I just can’t accept that the public will see any merit in this. It’s just much ado about nothing based on everything I’ve heard or read. I feel like it was a pathetic attempt to manipulate the public. I’d like to believe that the majority of the country will come to the same conclusion.

5 Likes