WTF Community

Day 393

Updated 2/16/2018 10:30 AM PST

1/ Robert Mueller's federal grand jury indicted 13 Russian nationals and three Russian entities with the intent to interfere "with U.S. elections and political processes." Mueller's office said that the government accuses all the defendants of conspiracy to defraud the United States. Three defendants are charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud. The indictment charges that a Russian organization, the Internet Research Agency, waged "information warfare" against the U.S. by using fictitious American personas and social media platforms for "supporting the presidential campaign of then-candidate Donald J. Trump … and disparaging Hillary Clinton." (CNBC / ABC News / Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/02/16/day-393/
1 Like

This too. New allegations of infidelity against Trump.
(Ether pad won’t load for me…)

We got him…? Right! Right?

3 Likes

The NYT article:

This last paragraph is interesting:

“Individuals involved in the conspiracy traveled to and around the United States, visiting at least eight states, court papers show, and worked with an unidentified American. That person advised them to focus their efforts on what they viewed as “purple” election battleground states, including Colorado, Virginia and Florida, the indictment said.”

So, who is this unidentified American individual? Are they being charged?

3 Likes

Link to full indictment document for reference: SCO - Internet Research Agency Indictment 2.16.18

3 Likes

I haven’t seen this detail in the stories yet - they just mentioned it on NBC News. There is also an indictment for a single count of identity fraud and plea agreement released today.

U.S. v. Richard Pinedo, et al (1:18-cr-24, District of Columbia)

1 Like

Mueller knows exactly what he’s doing, IMO. This was dribbled out today for some damn good reasons. Remember he’s also steering the public narrative away from all the trump effluent. Mueller is masterfully playing chess, while trump is playing with a cheeseburger, if we’re lucky.

1 Like

More on the WH Security Clearance debacle:

WaPo: Kelly makes changes to White House security clearance process after abuse allegations against top aide

2 Likes

So which one gets more play in popular press today – the Playboy playmate / Infidelity story or these Mueller indictments?

Well it’s a Friday…and unless something else hits the fan later today, Rachel Maddow just caught a break- she often laments that she has to throw out the entire show she planned due to last minute breaking news. Of course, there’s still some hours yet to go, & I’m not trying to jinx her. :smirk: …much. I say that only in the spirit of how badly we all want this nightmare to end sooner, rather than later., and because every day with current POTUS feels like an eternity.

Ever the master of the post hoc ergo propter hoc, I see.

:cry: poor maddow

1 Like

she cancelled her night off tonight because of this chaos! :grimacing:

2 Likes

It seems to never end. More on Manafort tonight!

Special Counsels Office: Manafort - Additional Allegations filing

2 Likes

Ah, you beat me to it. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-16/mueller-announces-guilty-plea-of-california-man-in-investigation

Good question. Seems like there will be plenty of details to spill out over the next 48 hours

3 Likes