WTF Community

Day 407

Somehow I didn’t expect to connect the NRA to the Russians, they’re suppose to be patriotic and all. Having served in the military years ago and spending time monitoring what the Russian military was doing in their movements close to the US it seems so odd to read about how they were making connections with the NRA.

No one from the NRA was concerned about a Russian national getting involved with their people? Or questioning what the interest was by the Russians?

3 Likes

I’ve thought about Delta leaving Atlanta also.

Slept guy: I just heard that Delta lost $50MM in tax breaks from the Georgia gov’t. I will bet a million dollars New York, Minnesota, or Micjgan (all have huge hubs) will ‘guarantee’ Delta $50MM over 10 years, to move their headquarters from Atlanta to their hub city!!!

Steel and Aluminum: I just looked up the cost of steel in a normal car (about 900 kg=2000 lb). If the tax goes on 1/2 of that steel(about the amount that is imported for a car) and the steel companies in US up their cost by 15%, then the cost of a new car in the US will go up by $400. That is the ‘net price’. Then the companies upcharge from the net. Overall - an increase of about $900-1,000! Dealers will also upcharge from their wholesale cost - so ??? That, along with the new mortgage you take out next year (1% up on a $200,000 mortgage) is approximately $3,000.
There goes the tax relief!!! Thanks President Trump!

To be fair, tax relief was long gone to moment the bill was signed. It’s all just salt in the wound now.

3 Likes

Amy, I like the idea that Amazon might discount Atlanta because of this… but Amazon is not apolitical… Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post, without which we would not know much of what has gone on behind the closed doors of the White House…

I’m intimately familiar with Amazon (one of several part-time jobs). Jeff is very hands off when it comes to many of his businesses. He is focused on the future of technology and is focusing his attention on AI and big data applications. The WP leans slightly to the left anyhow so its more likely to support Delta separating from Atlanta. Amazon will ultimately choose a city with the best infrastructure and optimum tax breaks. They’ll avoid any place that doesn’t have good highway systems, commuter options, affordable homes with potential for new home development, good educational options and adequate support from police, fire, health personnel… in utter words, a place that will be attractive to a significant number of employees who may have to relocate. Without a primary airline (and something like 80% of flights in and out of Atlanta are Delta), no major company will be attracted to Atlanta. It was a stupid decision given only 13 NRA discounts had been used anyhow.

Your math is a little off, bud.

1 Like

If gordo’s adding in that $1000 he was talking about before, less basic math off.

However that mortgage math is way off. A 1% interest increase on a $200000 30 year Mortgage is about a $33K increase in cost over the life of the Mortgage.

$3,000 for the ‘year’. You guys have to live with those increases - FOREVER! A lot of people changed their minds about Trump directly after they found out that they were getting a tax break. None of them sat down to figure everything out. Remember, this gets worse after 2021 when the tax breaks start decreasing.

I don’t think too many here are likely to fall into that group.

Mortgage increased 1% would add roughly an extra $1,100 for each year. Since mortgage payments remain constant throughout the life of the mortgage, with the main difference being the ratio of interest vs principle being paid.

However, I feel like getting too much into specific amounts and math is starting to get off-topic. It was also fairly likely that interest rates were going to increase regardless of who was in charge based on the typical trends that they follow.

The Tariffs on the other hand have the potential to cause a vast array of far reaching consequences and effects. When base materials go up, everything derived from them up charges as an effect.

We might be the largest consumer in most markets, which gives us some influence; but the issue is that overall the US has the demand while the rest of the world has the supply. Given that dynamic, trade wars are far riskier for us than they are for others. Other countries have the potential to get hurt financially in a trade war; we have the potential to effectively shut down. Trump is playing a game where he bluffs on a hand of nothing, and hopes that everyone else just folds under pressure rather than uniting to call him on it.

1 Like

bingo.

:clap: way to save this thread from closing.

carry on.

2 Likes

5:10 PM EST Mic DROP- I’m out.

ready for the weekend!

5 Likes

I used to look forward to the weekend to unplug— but when Monday rolls around and I plug in I die a million deaths catching up. I think I have extreme PTSD from the violence against our country.
But hey Matt, rest up we are all with you. Sword and shield at the ready.

4 Likes

nowadays i feel like the news doesnt even stop on the weekends! :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yes, I always thought the NRA was a crooked organization but I never imagined they were corrupted to this level. It’s incredible that we’re just finding this out now.

6 Likes

I just joined the community, too. (I’ve been following the web page since day 1, though.) Yes, I am greatly disturbed by the influence of the NRA too. It’s as if they are mobsters or something.

1 Like