WTF Community

Day 455

Updated 4/19/2018 10:18 AM PDT

1/ Michael Cohen dropped a pair of libel suits against BuzzFeed and Fusion GPS over the publication of the dossier that details alleged ties between Trump and Russia. The dossier claims Cohen met with Russian operatives somewhere in Europe to "clean up the mess" created by the public disclosures of Trump associates' ties to Russia. Pursuing the suit would require Cohen to "face a discovery process that would have forced him to defend his reputation and address the allegations of the Steele dossier under penalty of perjury." (Politico / Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/04/19/day-455/
3 Likes
3 Likes

Ok this is going to sound kinda dumb and super obvious but isn’t the subject/target of the Russia probe, Russia? Am I wrong, why?

43 House Republican incumbents have raised less money than their Democratic challengers in the first three months of 2018, and 16 Republican incumbents have less cash on hand than their Democratic challengers. (Politico)

Does anyone else think that he declared so soon because 1. he is a narcissist and 2. that way he could raise campaign funds to cover his mounting legal fees? It’s kind of besides the point if he declared since the election is so far away, and this way he gets to subsidize his legal problems and continue to hold his insane rallies.

1 Like

The Comey Memos were just leaked to AP :nerd_face:

Happy Reading!

2 Likes

The Russia Investigation is about Russia’s role in the 2016 election, but the mandate that Mueller has from Rosenstein is a far larger umbrella. Mueller has an open-ended scope to look into who was involved (see T, Manafort, 19 Russians, Junior, etc) and what they knew, what they did, who helped.

So yes, the investigation does mostly pertain to Russia, but there were many infractions along the way. See Obstruction charges - firing Comey. See Financial fraud -money laundering and Russian Oligarchs, (condos, hotels that T had were sold to Russians etc.) and paying Stormy with money that may have been considered campaign finance fraud.

And yup, subject - so far T is only a subject. But Mueller is looking for a connection between T, T’s campaign between the Russian connection - (Cambridge Analytica, Mercers, meetings with Russians with T’s inner circle and not revealing it)

T will become a target if Mueller has rock solid evidence that T is in on the deal.

Not obvious that it is only about Russia…but started that way. T is having a sh*t fit that investigation is really getting into his finances…and with Cohen’s files now open for review there should be a whole lotta stuff. IMHO
:smile:

2 Likes

On Maddow’s interview tonight with James Comey, she brings up the question as to whether intelligence was withheld when Michael Flynn was still a presence in the WH. Comey did not answer.

I believe they did withhold info…I think I heard rumors about this at the transition time between Obama and T.
This article is just a hypothetical…but as a former head of FBI, it could be a tactic they had been using.

But then, this may sound too much like promoting deep state conspiracy theories…or a version of it. So I am posting it as a description of the FBI culture.

I do not believe in all the deep state hoopla. FYI.

Excerpt

"James Comey says he would “potentially” withhold information from President Trump if he were still serving as FBI director, because he would fear the president leaking the details and damaging U.S. national security.

The comments come in Comey’s first British television interview since the publication of his book, “A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership.”

The interview, with the BBC’s “Newsnight,” will be broadcast on Thursday evening in the United Kingdom. The Hill obtained an audio version of the interview in advance of its broadcast.

Referring to the idea of holding information back from Trump, Comey said, “You’d have to think about it [with Trump] in a way you probably wouldn’t have to with other presidents.”

His remarks will raise the hackles of his critics, who often accuse him of overstepping boundaries. The comments will also exacerbate the fears of Trump detractors, who assert that the president’s impulsive behavior poses security risks.

Comey also noted that “you’d have to be very careful” about keeping information back “because you have an obligation under our Constitution and the structure of our government to make sure the president has the information the president needs.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/384031-the-memo-comey-suggests-trump-cant-be-trusted-with-classified-info?amp=1

1 Like

Maddow was really lucky that this dropped right before her interview with Comey. Good for her!

1 Like

They call the boob-tube for a reason. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I wish there were a way to “negotiate an end” of Rudy Giuliani being on the tube. He pops up at the most bizarre times. Of course, there’s also Chris Christy who has the unbelievable audacity to thrust himself into the public spotlight as well. I used to think that Fox News was like sugar pills for the mentally challenged and socially inept portion of America, a way to constantly give them more and more whacko conspiracy based ideas for them to toss around amongst themselves. Now it’s apparently a lot more than that, it’s pure brainwashing and unfortunately their relevance as a so-called news organization continues to remain strong due to it’s rabid followers. As they continue in whatever ways they can to bash on the intelligence agencies and make Mueller look to be the bad guy, it seems that very slowly, the polling numbers move and you’re right back to watching election night with your :eyes: bugged out and asking yourself WTFJHT. :crazy_face: In 2016 I learned that polling numbers are not always accurate, but I’ve read that Trump’s approval rating among Republicans is in the high 80’s. Of course, to come in still at 40% popularity he doesn’t need any Democrats, but even there, nearly 1 in 10 supports Trump. The polarity of those two numbers makes it look like we’re a pretty divided country and maybe a two party political system just sucks, eh?

But Rudy Giuliani offering his legal services to DJT has to still be considered a little off-the-hook if you ask me.:face_with_raised_eyebrow::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Getting closer to the inner, inner circle. Always follow the money.

3 Likes

Re Kushner: The “apples don’t fall far from the tree”…:smirk:

1 Like

@dragonfly9 I meant in terms of language that the DOJ would use to describe the investigation to Trump… not what avenues the investigation is taking or had taken. I imagine Rosenstein explaining to Trump simply that the Russia Investigation is about Russia, without lying. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

ohhh…yes, a very narrow viewpoint. It is a thin line, right?!

Yes! Not sure what comes after appeals court, but this is a good sign for those who do not want to tear down abortion rights and a rebuke of Pence’s ultra right position.

@kylegriffin1 (nbc news)
An Indiana abortion law signed by Mike Pence has been ruled unconstitutional by a federal appeals court.

Yes, he is.

Narcissist, wrapped in reality star bravado, who loves to spin his fantasies.

What a guy. :-1:

Oh! Newsflash David Frum, Atlantic writer making commentary on Lawrence O’Donnell MSNBC tonight is stating that Putin said the “best hookers” comment, on a televised show with the head of Maldives, and T just absorbed this comment and repurposed it into his own telephone conversation.

2 Likes

Trump is so dumb

The President said “the hookers thing” is nonsense but that Putin had told him “we have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world.”

Here it comes, the next cycle…

2 Likes