WTF Community

Day 468

Nope, that’s a sham!

Does anyone here have some knowledge or insight into how access to classified information is policed within the White House? What I’m getting at here is this: What assurances do we have that people in Trump’s circle (appointees, staff, lawyers, visitors, etc.) are complying with the restrictions that apply to the level of their security clearance. Trump’s people are notorious for ignoring the rule of law so do we know for sure that those with low or no security clearance are not picking up and reading classified documents or discussing classified topics?

For example, during meetings attended by Jared Kushner, is there a specific person who has the responsiblity for shutting down a discussion when it strays into an area for which Kushner does not have clearance – or is this just “self enforced”? The same question could be asked of meetings with Trump’s lawyers. How do we know that when Trump is having a private one-on-one discussion with someone who has low or no clearance that Trump doesn’t blab secrets? We know he did that with Russian officials who were visiting him in the Oval Office shortly after he took office. How often has it happened since then? If anyone has any background on this, could you please share? Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe this is the fly in the ointment so to speak…T has little regard for who knows what (as you mentioned, delivering the Israeli secrets to the Russians in the Oval Office)…so the theory is I believe is that even if Kushner can not see the PDB, he could be told or handed a copy by Trump. Various pundits were saying this around the time Kelly was supposed to have gotten every staff member past the Security Clearances, or let them go. There is virtually no assurance on what the Prez can and can not leak. Kelly was supposed to police who was credentialed…and who can see what.

I quickly googled some articles in the recent past - One from Washington Post and one from Politico which sheds some light on it.

And as you say John Dowd had clearances, but the others lawyers did not. (McGahn did have clearances - see article) Wouldn’t they be looking for the evidence during campaign and early transition times of what may or may not be illegal for T and not necessarily looking at what Defense is saying about Russia, or NSA details?

Not sure I am really informed on this…but looking (like you) for indicators that this WH is keeping a close eye on who should see what. I believe that these sensitive matters are discussed within the T orbit - family for sure, and not at all locked up with regard to highly sensitive materials.

Linking a few articles on this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-16/white-house-counsel-is-said-to-have-permanent-security-clearance

3 Likes

@matt My favorite quotation from the article you recently posted (Robert Mueller has the President Cornered):

A source “very close” to Trump described the president’s current mood as some combination of Bobby Axelrod, Tony Soprano, and the shittiest Avenger:

“For the average human, nothing scares them more than legal issues. He. Does. Not. Care. His whole adult life has been spent in litigation. He’s not afraid of high-stakes legal stuff. … He’s just going to start swinging and knock people’s heads off.”

This source nailed Trump’s temperament! The article then goes on to do a great job of documenting why Trump has finally come around to taking this investigation seriously – it’s just now sinking in for him that he is in deep, deep trouble. Good. I hope he starts losing some sleep at night – like millions of Americans have done since November 8, 2016.

5 Likes