WTF Community

Day 489

I suspect it’s true the WH grants the clearance the FBI does the background check to determine if there are legal reasons to not grant the clearance. When I was in the military and had a TS clearance, the material I was handling, the FBI wouldn’t have had an interest in that much but the military branch would.

3 Likes

More…

Excerpt
But Trump said in his signing statement that the Constitution makes him responsible for the security clearance process.

1 Like

@SEPTGUY Very interesting: “I suspect it’s true the WH grants the clearance the FBI does the background check. . .” So if it’s the WH, do you think that means that Trump himself granted Kushner clearance? Do you think there are any “checks” that would prevent Trump from reading a very negative FBI report on Kushner, yet totally ignoring the report and granting Kushner clearance anyway? That would seem outrageous, but sadly, we’ve come to expect outrageous behavior from our President.

@dragonfly9 Thanks for posting the article on the security clearance reform bill – I totally missed that this was in the works. I guess the obvious question is one of timing. Do you think that Trump signing this bill and Kushner receiving a security clearance are related?

I would suspect someone manages the office that grants clearances, actually that’s a good question who actually grants them and manages the database as a clearance can be pulled due to conduct.

Yes indeedy. Two birds with one stone. Gots to keep up with appearances for poor Jared.

I’ve watched several of the Showtime’s “Fourth Estate” series, it does give a sense of how fast paced the work environment in the NY Times is with this administration and a sense of the personalities behind the by-lines.

Wow, with the EPA meeting today and the ultimate banning of reporters…giving lip service last night (or today giving reporters 1 hour to participate, but then close the meeting down) …EPA knows the press will upend what their nasty intentions are…#NilTransparency.

From Politico

But on Wednesday, the agency again said no reporters would be allowed to attend.

The event, where attendees are discussing whether and how to regulate a class of chemicals linked to immune disorders and certain cancers, included federal and state officials, health groups and industry interests on Tuesday. On Wednesday, it is limited to the agencies that handle chemical oversight and state regulators, according to an EPA statement.

4 Likes

It’s a good place to point out stories flying under the radar or obvious stuff I missed :hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like