WTF Community

Day 490

Updated 5/24/2018 7:09 AM PDT

1/ Trump said migrant children entering the country at the southern border are "not innocent," and warned that letting them in exposes the nation to increased gang crime. "They look so innocent," Trump said at a roundtable meeting at the Morrelly Homeland Security Center. He added: "They're not innocent." (Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/05/24/day-490/
3 Likes

Did the President really just break up the North Korea summit with a “Dear Jong letter”? Bahahaha! :joy::joy:
Too soon?

2 Likes

The rollback of dodd frank regulations:

“The bill eases restrictions on all but the largest banks and raises the standard by which banks are designated too important to fail by $250 billion, up from $50 billion.”

I was curious what impact that has, so I tried to look up what banks had over 50 billion in assets but less than 250b. This isn’t my normal balliwick so I’d appreciate any confirmation from someone more knowledgeable but here’s my findings:

JPMorgan Chase 2,140,778,000.00
Bank of America. 1,751,524,000.00
Wells Fargo Bank 1,747,354,000.00
Citibank 1,385,697,000.00

1 Like

@Extrapolate Good info, what are your sources?

Damn, this is just sick.

ACLU Report: Detained Immigrant Children Subjected To Widespread Abuse By Officials

Among the allegations, U.S. officials are said to have:

*Denied a pregnant minor medical attention when she reported pain, which preceded a stillbirth.
*Subjected a 16-year-old girl to a search in which they “forcefully spread her legs and touched her private parts so hard that she screamed.”
*Left a 4-lb. premature baby and her minor mother in an overcrowded and dirty cell filled with sick people, against medical advice.
*Threw out a child’s birth certificate and threatened him with sexual abuse by an adult male detainee.
*Ran over a 17-year-old with a patrol vehicle and then punched him repeatedly.

2 Likes

Roger Stone is in hot water again, this time they’re looking into his financial records. Would anyone be surprised if they found something? :smirk:

5 Likes

I’m glad the Democrats who attended the briefing followed up with public statements confirming that the FBI followed all proper procedures. Yet another Nunes conspiracy theory fizzles out. When will people finally stop listening to him?

Trump and the Republicans continue to do grave damage to our country. By demanding this process (which was a totally self-serving diversion), Trump moved us one step closer to bringing the DOJ under the control of the President – that is, transforming our democratic republic into an oligarchy.

3 Likes

Reverse witchhunt…abuse of power and travesty.

When did who shouts the loudest and shakedowns of DOJ become the norm? Wonder how many redactions were on the classified documents? Hope Rosenstein played it like a pro.

2 Likes

Well it’s getting REALLY hard to shock me…I still can’t believe we have criminal scum like trump in power, much less that people think he’s credible or worth supporting in any way, shape or form. But no, I think Roger Stone has much to fear from the law.

3 Likes

Thank you, I was on my phone just kind of googled around finding similar numbers. The above list was exact from a site I don’t know: mx.com. Further googling from laptop has since led me to an uber useful wikipedia page: List of largest banks - Wikipedia

This shows higher though comparable asset totals, putting only Chase (out of those listed previously) above the threshold. (Below Total Assets in US Billions)
JPMorgan Chase 2,533.60
Bank of America 2,281.23
Wells Fargo Bank 1,951.76
Citibank 1,842.47
^“The list is based on the S&P Global Market Intelligence report 2018 of the 100 largest banks in the world” https://platform.mi.spglobal.com/web/client?auth=inherit#news/article?id=44027195&cdid=A-44027195-11060

Afraid I am at a loss for vetting, financials is not my world. I would love to hear input from a SME.

2 Likes

I could not click the “like” button because how can one like such abuse? I find it incredible that these people carry out such abhorrent behaviour. As an overseas commentator I just want to observe that this sort of behaviour is not just confined to the US - that does not make it any better. But such abuse has been reported by Australian authorities at Manus Island PNG, and Nauru, with many instances. I wonder what sort of mentality it is with these people, who work in such positions of power, and why they feel the entitlement and need to treat fellow human beings so appallingly.

2 Likes