WTF Community

Day 495

Updated 5/29/2018 6:15 AM PDT

1/ The U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement lost track of nearly 1,500 unaccompanied immigrant children between October and December of 2017. The acting assistant secretary of the Administration of Children and Families, Steven Wagner, claimed during testimony in April that the agency was not legally responsible for the 1,475 missing children. "I understand that it has been [the Department of Health and Human Service's] long-standing interpretation of the law that ORR is not legally responsible for children after they are released from ORR care," Wagner said. The children are not lost, said Deputy HHS Secretary Eric Hargan, their sponsors "simply did not respond or could not be reached when this voluntary call was made." The comments come as the Trump administration have been defending the policy of separating immigrant children from their families as part of increased border enforcement efforts at the U.S.-Mexico border. (CNN / Reuters / NPR)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/05/29/day-495/
5 Likes

Finally!

5 Likes

What more has to happen before more of us start to see the truly horrible similarity that trump bears to Hitler? A while back I was referring to him as ā€œtwittlerā€ but some here (I donā€™t recall who) thought that was an inappropriate comparisonā€¦do you still think so? I just think this separation of families is a shocking new low for this country. :scream: It seems that every day, we go a few steps lower.

4 Likes

Heard today that ICE is removing children at the rate of 50 per day. This is irregardless of their parents legally claiming asylum. Pretty sure this is a violation of international law.

Youā€™re entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Yes, there are plenty of other historical villains, but name recognition still helps put our current national embarrassment into contextā€¦IMO. It is quite obvious that far too many of our citizens slept through their history classes & need all the help we can give. I donā€™t know where the outrage was in the past, as I wasnā€™t around, & neither were you. I have a feeling there WAS outrage, only our history has been ā€œsanitizedā€ to enable our self-righteous flag-waving stupidity. In any event, I fail to see how comparing trump to Hitler is disrespectful to those whose lives were lost or affected by the Holocaustā€¦that is certainly NOT my intentā€¦but those who deny it ever happened, now THATā€™S what Iā€™d consider disrespect. Those, like trump, who think Nazis are ā€œvery fine peopleā€ā€¦THATā€™S what Iā€™d consider disrespect. Iā€™m pretty sure we are on the same team here??? Just because trump has yet to ā€œachieveā€ the same death toll, does NOT mean he isnā€™t trying, or that he wonā€™t succeed, what with all the hatred he continues to dredge up. That is the reason for my comparison: I believe the ā€œpotentialā€ is there, & heaven help us if we miss the signs in this country and do nothing to stop him. The violation of norms & laws by trump & his administration is shocking & continues on so many fronts that people are just starting to normalize it allā€¦as long as itā€™s happening to someone else. Thatā€™s the real danger.

@elaphe

Thereā€™s still no need to reference Hilter. America has been separating children from their families for hundreds of years. Where was the outrage when we were still sending Native American children to ā€œboarding schoolsā€ for assimilation or for separatation families during slavery? This kind of racism has been part of America since the beginning, thereā€™s no need to look outside our own history. Iā€™m so sick of the Hilter hyperbole, itā€™s disrespectful to the millions of lives lost in the during the Holocaust and it ignores our own racist history, which we desperately need to come to terms or history will continue to repeat itself.