WTF Community

Day 50

1/ The House passed Biden’s $1.9 trillion Covid-19 relief package, which will send $1,400 stimulus checks to millions of Americans, extend enhanced unemployment benefits, help schools and colleges reopen, and fund vaccine distribution. One Democrat — Rep. Jared Golden — joined all Republicans in voting against the measure. The House passed a similar version of the bill last month, but had to approve changes made by the Senate after the parliamentarian ruled that the federal minimum wage increase violated the Senate’s rules. “This legislation is about giving the backbone of this nation – the essential workers, the working people who built this country, the people who keep this country going – a fighting chance,” Biden said in a statement. Nancy Pelosi called the bill a “force for fairness and justice in America,” comparing it to the Affordable Care Act in its significance, and saying “I join President Biden in his promise: help is on the way.” Despite 70% of Americans favoring the package, Republicans argued that the plan was a bloated “laundry list of left-wing priorities that predate the pandemic.” Biden is expected to sign the relief bill Friday, and mark the one-year anniversary of the pandemic in his first prime-time address to the nation Thursday. (New York Times / Washington Post / NPR / Politics / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal / NBC News / The Guardian / ABC News / CBS News / USA Today)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2021/03/10/day-50/
2 Likes

Thank you Matt for providing a summation of the day’s news. Lately I find myself barely reading a couple of paragraphs of a news story. WTF keeps me informed until I get past the slump.

3 Likes

We all burn out for a bit and need time to recharge and reignite that fire. Don’t worry, you’re not alone while you do so.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.