WTF Community

Day 512

Updated 6/15/2018 10:04 AM PDT

1/ A federal judge revoked Paul Manafort's bail and sent him to jail while he awaits trial after Robert Mueller accused Trump's former campaign chief of witness tampering. "I cannot turn a blind eye to this," Judge Amy Berman Jackson said. Manafort had posted a $10 million bond to remain at home while awaiting his September trial on charges that include money laundering and false statements. He will now remain in pretrial detention until his trial. (New York Times / NBC News / Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/06/15/day-512/
5 Likes

BREAKING - COHEN IS FLIPPING!!

Not confirmed by way of him actually talking to Mueller 'n Co, but that heā€™s leaning in that direction. I am very happy to hear this. :joy:

Bring it on.

President Donald Trumpā€™s personal attorney Michael Cohen has indicated to family and friends> President Donald Trumpā€™s personal attorney Michael Cohen has indicated to family and friends he is willing to cooperate with federal investigators to alleviate the pressure on himself and his family, according to a source familiar with the matter. he is willing to cooperate with federal investigators to alleviate the pressure on himself and his family, according to a source familiar with the matter.

4 Likes

B R E A K I N G

Manafortā€™s bail is being revokedā€¦Jail time. :joy:

5 Likes

Busted, big time!

• Federal prosecutors said in a Friday court filing that theyā€™ve pieced together 16 pages worth of content from President Donald Trumpā€™s longtime lawyer Michael Cohenā€™s paper shredder.

• The FBI also was able to obtain more than 700 pages of Cohenā€™s encrypted messages and call logs. [emphasis is mine ā€“ KJ]

You know itā€™s the encrypted stuff that will reveal the dirtiest deeds. Cohen encrypted those pages for a reason ā€“ somehow I doubt it was to protect intellectual property ā€“ it was to cover up crimes.

5 Likes

Manafort tried using a clever technique for hiding his crimes, but it didnā€™t work.

My impression of Manafort is that heā€™s not too bright. Although this technique is an ingenious little dodge, itā€™s a very weak method for hiding emails and has been around for ages. How could Manafort possibly think that the FBI wouldnā€™t be all over this? All that heā€™s managed to do by using this technique is to further implicate himself, demonstrating that he knew he was doing something illegal.

4 Likes

Not only you, palā€¦but then, Iā€™m not a criminal or a traitor, & I assume the same goes for you. I canā€™t imagine ā€œnormalā€ crooks so desperate for our info that they would be taping our shreds together.

1 Like

Fascinating stuff ā€“ I had forgotten all about this. Thanks for the refresher. My brain is an older model and it only has 64KB of RAM so as all the new Trump-Russia scandals pile in, I periodically need to overwrite the older stuff ā€“ otherwise, I get a ā€œMemory Fullā€ error. :brain:

2 Likes

Maybe it is a protective feature, this kind of news is hard to take. :disappointed_relieved:

I had been copying articles from the beginning because of all the jaw-dropping news, so I can just do a search in my computer. The kink about saving his emails via drafts I did remember, especially from his daughters emails (even though they were hacked.)

ā€œCavelier, crass, mindblowing behavior from Tā€¦ā€ as heard on MSNBC on Chris Hayes show just now.

Yes, we are all TOO FULL of this horrendous situation. :unamused:
It would be nice to clear the this c%#p outta here!

1 Like

Go Dianne Feinstein! :eyes: Watching and :calling:calling (said thank you because they were already on itā€‹:sunglasses:)

4 Likes

Well, hereā€™s a happy thought: the once-rich & used-to-the-finer-things Manafort will be sleeping with cockroaches tonight. :rofl: (they said the place heā€™s going is known for them everywhere, hee hee!)

2 Likes

Yup, he has been downgraded ā€¦but to a VIP-1 room. You have to wonder whether heā€™ll be subjected to more degradation than just the scampering of large bugs. He seems pretty hard-headed to me.

@kylegriffin1 (nbc news)
Paul Manafort has been locked up in a Virginia jail tonight.

An inmate database shows that Manafort was booked into the Northern Neck Regional Jail in Warsaw, Virginia, at 8:22 PM.

Jail records listed his housing unit as ā€œVIP-1.ā€ https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/paul-manafort-headed-jail-after-witness-tampering-allegation-n883596

1 Like

Well, well, wellā€¦

A judge in New York City has ruled in favor of a bar that kicked someone out for wearing a ā€œMake America Great Againā€ hat. According to the New York Post, Philadelphian Greg Piatek was booted from The Happiest Hour in January of 2017, just after Donald Trumpā€™s inauguration, because he was wearing a red MAGA cap.

So the 31-year-old sued the place, claiming the incident ā€œoffended his sense of being American,ā€ according to the lawsuit. But according to The Happiest Hourā€™s lawyer, Elizabeth Conway, political beliefs are not protected from discrimination by law - only religious beliefs are.

3 Likes

Thanks for the lead. I donā€™t know why, but Iā€™m completely fascinated by this. The NBC News article you posted led me to the jailā€™s website and the inmate database. This is the record for Prisoner 45343:

I see you can visit Paul on Fridays.

OK, Iā€™m officially cheesed off. I patiently clicked on every single page of the database (obviously I have way too much time on my hands) and determined that, in this entire facility, Prisoner 45343 is the only inmate listed with a location of ā€œVIPā€ ā€“ to my mind, that stinks. Why does he alone deserve a ā€œVIPā€ location? I can understand the need to separate violent inmates from nonviolent ones, but there are plenty of other nonviolent prisoners in this facility. I donā€™t see why he merits his own special location. I sure hope theyā€™re not preparing special meals for him and delivering them to his VIP location ā€“ he should eat the same meals in the same dining area as everyone else.

3 Likes

Folderingā€¦hmm. Now the world knows how to hide messages people donā€™t want recorded, interesting. The s#%&t storm seems to have increased in intensity is that a physics sign I wonder? Are we near a crest? Maybe Giuliani and Sessions should join Mr. Manafort for awhile.

1 Like

But heā€™s had a hand in killing people too, even if he kept his own hands ā€œcleanā€. He sure isnā€™t MY idea of a VIP either! He needs the full prison ā€œexperienceā€ IMO.

1 Like

Well, true if heā€™s been given possible special treatmentā€¦and heā€™s guilty of white collar crimes, as well as treasonous onesā€¦he is still locked up, wearing orange prison garbā€¦and from what I see, it is NOT a picnic. He is being held against his will, and can not access WhatsApp etc.

Ours is not to question why here perhapsā€¦but I see why people might find it irksome. it is a STEP towards punishment.

Read from this WhiteCollar advice column on imprisonmentā€¦

My day was non-negotiable. It was my routine, my structure enabling me to prepare for all the obstacles that would await me

my early weeks who were literally watching paint dry. Others would just watch TV all day until mail call came.

There are aspects of imprisonment that are uncomfortable.

And if Fridayā€™s in the afternoon for an hour visit is it, thatā€™s gotta be a well like being in prison. Just saying. :open_mouth:

1 Like

True. I was just looking up some of Manafortā€™s former clients, among them the brutal strongman Mobutu Sese Seko of ZaĆÆre (you donā€™t even want to read about some of the heinous acts he has perpetrated). I came across the thoroughly researched report by the Center for Public Integrity, titled ā€œThe Torturersā€™ Lobby,ā€ that ranked the lobbying firm of Black, Manafort, Stone and Kelly among the top five firms supporting regimes that abuse human rights and practice torture for the years 1991-1992 (p. 7). And this is the guy Trump hired as his Campaign Chairman.

3 Likes

Yes, youā€™re right. Itā€™s got to be quite a step down from a luxury condo to a jail cell and from an Armani suit to orange overalls.

Something else I was thinking about: itā€™s especially important to look out for his safety since he is a crucial potential witness in the Trump-Russia investigation. I said I thought he should be eating the same food as everyone else; now that Iā€™ve taken a deep breath and given it further consideration, Iā€™m thinking the jail authorities do know best and are probably screening his meals, considering how many powerful people, both here and in Russia, would like to see Manafort absent from the witness pool.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking along the same linesā€¦that heā€™s afraid to flip because of those in his underworld connections (including our ā€œdearā€ POTUS, I might add) that certainly want him silencedā€¦and now that it looks like heā€™s at least some risk, they just might try anyway. There have been suspicious deaths on our shores tooā€¦heā€™d not be the first.

Good pointā€¦keep an eye out for those who would want to do him harm.

You might wonder as well, if he might have his own poison pill. Would he?

Yes, authorities are keeping a GOOD :policewoman::eye: on him.