WTF Community

Day 523

Updated 6/26/2018 10:51 AM PDT

1/ The Supreme Court upheld the third iteration of Trump's travel ban in a 5-4 ruling among partisan lines. The ban was issued last fall and prevented travelers from eight counties – including six majority-Muslim countries – from entering the U.S. Several states challenged the ban, claiming the order constituted a "Muslim ban," violated Trump's executive authority and the Constitution, and harmed U.S. citizens and educational institutions. (CNN / Washington Post / New York Times / CNBC)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/06/26/day-523/
4 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The 12,061 files that Cohen wants to withhold from prosecutors are now in the hands of the Special Master, Barbara Jones (appointed by Judge Kimba Wood), who will decide which documents meet the criteria for withholding. It’s my understanding that the two primary reasons that a document would NOT be withheld from prosecutors are:

1. The document does not apply to attorney-client privilege (e.g., a communication that does not involve giving legal advice).

2. The document provides evidence that the attorney and client were conspiring to commit a crime.

Does anyone out there who is a lawyer or has experience with this type of thing know if my understanding is correct?

And does anyone know if this will be the final review of documents seized from Cohen? In other words, are there more documents in the pipeline? I seem to recall that the FBI had decrypted one of Cohen’s Blackberry’s but was still working on another so I’m wondering if that was ever cracked.

2 Likes

In lighter news. The “Mr. President, Fuck YOU!” intern has been identified.

Senate Intern suspended after yelling at President Trump

I hope that they have a bright future, they clearly have guts.

2 Likes

oh thank god i was so worried :joy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/virginia-judge-rules-against-paul-manafort-will-let-fraud-case-continue/2018/06/26/b281e982-521e-11e8-a551-5b648abe29ef_story.html?utm_term=.66ff8f422dda

Maybe this will convince Manafort that it’s time to flip.

2 Likes

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders is expected to receive Secret Service protection as soon as Wednesday, two sources familiar with the decision tell CNN, but they did not specify how long it will last.

The Secret Service declined to comment, telling CNN: "For operational security purposes the Secret Service does not comment on its protective operations."

The news comes days after Sanders was asked to leave a small Lexington, Virginia, restaurant because of her role with the Trump administration, a move that has since sparked a national conversation on civility and public service in the age of Trump.

“A Great Day For Our Constitution” that should’ve been the title for today. I cannot believe that anybody on the planet can believe this guy and his mixed up logic. Yes, there is a problem with immigrant, we can all agree on that, but you don’t need to go over the top with all the fear mongering. I feel sorry for the poor schleps that still think this man has a half-a-brain. Complete and total idiot, so yes, he’s unconventional, but not in a good way.

This was just an incredible story, young working class woman defeats a 20 year Democrat incumbent, who was thought to be next in line for Pelosi’s spot.

Rep. Joe Crowley, the powerful chairman of the House Democratic Caucus seen as a potential future speaker, was unseated Tuesday night by primary challenger Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in his New York City district.

This was her ad. :heart_eyes:

https://youtu.be/rq3QXIVR0bs

A live tweet from her victory rally. Yeah.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.