WTF Community

Day 602

@jamditis

Misleading. The number of unaccompanied minors detained at the border has risen to the highest number ever.

The kids are being held in detention because the process of obtaining American sponsorship has changed creating a bottle neck in the system. They should be in foster care but because of the stricter background screenings, less families are coming forward to sponsor the children leaving them in these detention centers which are at 90% capacity.

2 Likes

“I have received information from an individual concerning the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, said in a statement. “That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further, and I have honored that decision,” she said.

“I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities,” she added.

Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin said the referral went to the FBI but also did not say what the information contained.

This is very intriguing. Hope we find out more soon. :interrobang:

4 Likes

It’s already a slow and intrusive process to become a foster parent. You have to pass and background check, submit your fingerprints, take classes and open your home to basically a search by a social worker. And then there are monthly visits with social workers to make sure the child is healthy, going to school, receiving proper healthcare and mental healthcare. My partner and I have fostered and it took months and months to become licensed.

3 Likes

This story is unfolding by the hour. Who knows where it will lead?

Multiple sources have told HuffPost that the document in question is a letter sent to Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) that concerns potential sexual misconduct involving Kavanaugh and a woman when they were both in high school. Eshoo’s office has also declined to comment, saying the letter was considered casework ― and thus wouldn’t be made public ― since it came from a constituent. . . .

A lawyer who is reportedly representing the woman was spotted leaving the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday evening shortly after the Intercept report was published. The lawyer, Debra Katz, has not responded to HuffPost’s requests for comment.

4 Likes

And what about the question of gambling problems?

I did not realize that they shared a joint-defense agreement…and therefore their legal teams can share information. They call this a mafiosa-type strategy…sharing information, in an attempt to get ahead of the prosecution.

Some breaking news about a plea deal afoot.

2 Likes

We do not know what the terms are, the conditions etc. If it is a plea agreement,
and perhaps Manafort is angling to get this additional trial shelved, and using their joint-defense agreement as a way to give Manafort a pardon.

Rudi Giuliani does know what Rick Gates has exposed about Manafort, T etc. because of the joint-defense agreement. No one sees that until a trial.

Even if Manafort does say he is guilty, he will have to admit what he is guilty of…and therefore a pardon might be the thing they are looking towards. This is speculation, but it could well be happening this way.

Today this was reached. Tomorrow is a court meeting, and more will be known.

1 Like

More insights into what could be pending for a plea deal. Manafort’s efforts now for curtailing further legal wrangling, and potentially more jail time. As well T’s outright support of Manafort, and potential pardon seem to be the reasons why Manafort has been more flexible and want to plea.

Some background on what may have been discussed on reaching a plea deal…

@kenvogel

NEW DOCUMENT: In 2016 & 2017, MANAFORT & GATES fought @TheJusticeDept to avoid disclosure of their lobbying for pro-Russian Ukrainian interests by claiming they didn’t have a contract with a pro-YANUKOVYCH nonprofit & had deleted emails related to the work

Document cloud re: Manafort/Gates argument for the DOJ

Any plea by Mr. Manafort would be another unsettling development for a president who seems increasingly isolated and distrustful of members of his own circle.

For months, Mr. Trump has praised Mr. Manafort for confronting Mr. Mueller instead of trying to negotiate a plea deal.

Mr. Manafort has been reassessing his legal risks after last month’s trial. He was found guilty of eight counts of tax fraud, bank fraud and failure to report a foreign bank account, crimes that legal experts predicted would likely result in a prison term of six to 12 years.

Prosecutors have been approaching the second trial much like the first: with a wealth of documentary evidence and a range of witnesses who worked with Mr. Manafort over the years. In pretrial filings, they listed 2,127 potential exhibits.

The defense has been planning to show that the special counsel had targeted Mr. Manafort because he had headed Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign. But Judge Amy Berman Jackson of United States District Court for the District of Columbia had already signaled that argument was out-of-bounds.

Mr. Trump has repeatedly come to Mr. Manafort’s defense. “Paul Manafort is a good man,” he said after the Virginia jury returned its verdict. “It doesn’t involve me but it’s a very sad thing.” In private discussions with his lawyers, Mr. Trump has raised the option of pardoning Mr. Manafort.

2 Likes

I swear, their explanations are so laughably flimsy, I thought for a second I’d been punked into reading an article by The Onion.

The two Russian men spun an unlikely tale of hapless tourists defeated by grim British weather: They traveled more than 1,000 miles to see England’s famed Salisbury Cathedral but were turned back by slush and snow, then returned the next day and spent two hours exploring the “beautiful” city.

British officials had a more sinister explanation: Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov were highly trained military intelligence agents sent by the Kremlin to Salisbury to smear a deadly nerve agent on the front door of a former Russian spy.

Petrov and Boshirov, both charged in absentia by Britain last week for trying to kill Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia, with the nerve agent Novichok, went on the Kremlin-funded RT satellite channel Thursday to proclaim their innocence, deny they were agents of the military intelligence service widely known as the GRU, and say they were merely tourists in the city southwest of London.

“Our friends had been suggesting for quite a long time that we visit this wonderful city,” Petrov said in the interview.

“They have a famous cathedral there,” Boshirov said, adding studiously: “It is famous for its 123-meter spire.”

2 Likes

So here’s the entire interview with Petrov and Boshirov. I’m not sure if it’s worth 30 minutes of your life, but I’ll admit I watched the whole thing and found it oddly entertaining. My gut feeling is that these guys did it, but that’s just IMHO. At any rate, there is certainly ample probable cause to have them extradited so they can face questioning in the UK. However, sadly, I don’t see that happening.

It’s almost amusing to listen to them bumbling around with their meandering non-answers and put on expressions of victimhood until you stop and think: if these two men are lying, then they are actually cold-blooded assassins. One thing is for sure - we live in strange times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku8OQNyI2i0

2 Likes

And if you believe their story… Have I got a deal for you! I’ve a very fine bridge for sale… :wink:

2 Likes

If you’re interested in the Skripal case, this Guardian article is actually much better than the AP one above. Lot’s more information here along with some fine info-graphics – and it all adds up to a convincing case against these two suspects.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve been following it closely and the Guardian article is a very good summing up.
So clear they’re just tourists who fly from Russia on a on a 2 day trip to the UK to Salisbury to see the cathedral. Everyone does that, so utterly believable. /sarc

1 Like

Unreal excuses from these two…been watching their remarks on those news snippets on RT. Laughable is right. :laughing:

Looks like there is a plea deal. Manafort still pleads guilty…and DOES cooperate.
(This has been updated!)

Both sides save on court costs, and time expended.

But when Manafort pleads guilty to a crime, he can be questioned in court everything he knows about that issue and he has to answer.

But he’s primed for the anticipated pardon that T is able to give.

People familiar with the plea discussions have previously said that Manafort has no intention of cooperating with Mueller, so it’s possible any prospective agreement could allow him to admit guilt without providing information to investigators.

A criminal information — a legal document filed by prosecutors to detail the criminal conduct to be admitted by the defendant — was filed in advance of the plea. The document shows Manafort intends to plead guilty to two crimes of the seven he faced at trial: conspiring to defraud the United States and conspiring to obstruct justice.

The document indicates he will admit to funneling millions of dollars in payments into offshore accounts to conceal his income from the Internal Revenue Service. “Manafort cheated the United States out of over $15 million in taxes,” the document states.

The filing also offers new details about the various ways in which Manafort sought to surreptitiously lobby the U.S. government and influence American public opinion toward Ukraine.

3 Likes

BOOM :boom: (go to day 603)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Good catch. Fixing now

2 Likes

It gets worse. There reports of ICE taking the children to adult detention centers or jail when they turn eighteen because they have “aged out” of DSHS sponsorship program. This happens to citizen foster children too but they at least can apply for the extended foster care program that assists in finding work and homes after they turn eighteen. No such program exists for these asylum-seekers.

4 Likes

I’m glad you shared this. I had no idea – it’s really so sad. This seems like the type of story Rachel Maddow might pick up to create national awareness of this cruel practice. I hope she does.

4 Likes