WTF Community

Day 616

Updated 9/27/2018 11:54 AM PDT

1/ Christine Blasey Ford testified that she is "100%" certain that Brett Kavanaugh was her attacker, believing he "was going to rape me" and "was going to accidentally kill me." Ford began her testimony before the Judiciary Committee by telling senators: "I am here today not because I want to be. I am terrified." Kavanaugh will testify later today. (Politico / New York Times / Washington Post)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2018/09/27/day-616/
3 Likes

Kavanaugh goes full ‘poor me…’ to have to withstand this smear. He is doing some face saving, defending his honor (such as it is) and using the statements from the party that this should be enough. Flimsy at best.

He’s whiny, entitled, small and fighting off allegations, with details that are full of details (calendars, his memory, and written statements.) He looks small in all of this.

The SCOTUS position will pass him by. Enough.

People do not believe him…

3 Likes

Kavanaugh when asked if he was written about in Mark Judge’s book. Kavanaugh replies that book was fiction, and written by someone with an addiction.

Trump%20Kavanaugh%20Judge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/27/mark-judges-book-validates-christine-fords-timeline-alleged-kavanaugh-assault/?utm_term=.33983a8c561b

4 Likes

Let’s bring the boy into the next phase…God knows he’s telling the truth…
( I am saying this sarcastically and with sadness)

Sigh…

3 Likes

The pressure is on for the undecided voters, with even GWB weighing in with them. A very charged vote, and hugely consequential.

If Republican and White House confidence began with Kavanaugh’s star turn, a brief but blazing cameo by Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) midway through the afternoon session punctuated the mounting drama.

His face reddening and his voice rising as he wagged his finger at the Democrats on the dais, Graham hissed, “This is the most unethical sham since I’ve been in politics.”

Moments later, turning his attention to his own party, he continued: “To my Republican colleagues, if you vote no, you’re legitimizing the most despicable thing I have seen in my time in politics.”

Graham’s tirade was well-received inside the West Wing.@LindseyGrahamSC has more decency and courage than every Democrat member of the committee combined,” wrote White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote Thursday afternoon on Twitter. “God bless him.”

Of course, the finale is yet to come, another two-part set piece when the Senate Judiciary gathers Friday to vote Kavanaugh out of committee and then again when the entire Senate votes.

Trump’s options are somewhat limited, White House and Capitol Hill aides say. The key votes — Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) — are not easily swayed by the president, these people say. At least some of these members have received calls from former president George W. Bush in recent days, aides say.

But on Thursday evening, Trump offered an indication of where he felt the nomination was headed.

About 30 minutes after he was initially expected to depart for a fundraiser, Trump — still at the White House — weighed in on Twitter.

“Judge Kavanaugh showed America exactly why I nominated him,” the president wrote. “His testimony was powerful, honest, and riveting. Democrats’ search and destroy strategy is disgraceful and this process has been a total sham and effort to delay, obstruct, and resist. The Senate must vote!”

3 Likes
3 Likes

If you have not seen any of Brett Kavanaugh’s testimony today, you absolutely must watch this segment from the Rachel Maddow Show.

Today I had not had an opportunity to see him speak – so tonight I was finally able sit down and watch and listen. My god – oh, my god. I cannot say this strongly enough – this man is unhinged, he is infantile, he is totally unfit to serve on the Supreme Court or any court. You’ve just got to watch his rants during which he comes close to frothing at the mouth. Then he’ll tear up, but not in a sad way – he wells up in the way a little kid does when throwing a tantrum and shouting, “it’s not fair, it’s just not fair, everybody’s against me!”

Just watch this guy and ask yourself – if you were interviewing him for a job, no matter what that might be, would you give him the job? – no way, no how.

I guess what I’m saying is this: if we were to set aside all other issues – the multiple credible allegations of sexual assault, the lying under oath, the heavy drinking, the lack of respect for women’s reproductive rights, the refusal to support fact-finding by the FBI, etc., etc. – even if we were to set all those issues aside, and consider only Kavanaugh’s performance today, it alone would disqualify him from serving on the Supreme Court or on any court for that matter. His sputtering rants and his unhinged, and at times, nearly incoherent retorts, his flashes of unrestrained anger as he lashed out again and again, his aggrieved tears of indignation – these things, in and of themselves, must preclude him from being confirmed. He simply does not posses the demeanor, stature, or constitution of a judge (even though, somehow he actually is one). I don’t see how a single Senator can vote in his favor (yet, sadly, I believe most or all Republican Senators will). I have never seen this kind of irrational, unbalanced behavior in a judge and I hope to never see it again.

3 Likes

Kavanaugh’s calendars, rather than exonerating him, actually may wind up implicating him and should form the basis for a thorough investigation by the FBI. For sometime we’ve known about Mark Judge, who Dr. Ford asserts was in the room at the time Kavanaugh assaulted her. Judge went into hiding last week, but his whereabouts are known. It’s outrageous that the Judiciary Committee has not interviewed him, nor has it requested that he be questioned by the FBI.

Now, thanks to Kavanaugh’s calendars, we know of another person who it is imperative that the committee interview and the FBI question. His nickname is “Squi.” Here’s how he fits into the picture:

1. Squi was a close friend of Kavanaugh’s and is listed 13 times on his calendars.

2. Not only was Squi a friend of Kavanaugh, he also “socialized” with Ford! According to Ford’s testimony, they “went out” for a “few months.” This close relationship ended a couple months before the alleged assault, but they remained “distant friends.” So Ford and one of Kavanaugh’s close friends were an item for a significant period of time prior to the alleged assault. These social connections could certainly create a situation in which Ford would wind up at a small gathering with Kavanaugh, Squi, and other mutual friends.

3. Kavanaugh’s calender includes this entry on July 1, 1982: “Go to Timmy’s for skis w/ Judge, Tom, PJ, Bernie, Squi”. “Skis” most likely refers to the drinking of “brewskis.” “PJ” is the nickname for Patrick Smyth. So, according to the calendar, this beer drinking party would include, among others, Kavanaugh, Mark Judge, and Patrick Smyth. Ford says these three people were at the party where she alleges she was assaulted. The calendar also lists Squi, who was close friends with Kavanaugh and on friendly terms with Ford. This is just the mix of people that you might expect to invite Ford as an additional guest. Perhaps Squi bumped into her in the afternoon at Columbia Country Club where they were both members and invited her then. She said she was at the club swimming before she went to the party and that’s why she had on her swimsuit under her clothes.

4. Kavanaugh’s calendar also includes an entry on July 7 that simply says “Columbia”that might be another possible date for the party in question. Based on this entry, it appears that Kavanaugh was at the club that day – perhaps he bumped into Ford (who said she spent a lot of time there) and invited her to a gathering. And it would be natural for him to extend an invitation since she had gone out with a close friend of his (Squi) for a few months.

It’s important to note that Ford had no knowledge of these calendars at the time she related her story to the committee.

Far from supporting Kavanaugh’s denials, these calendars actually undermine his case and strengthen Ford’s. And most importantly, they testify to the committee’s abject negligence in failing to pursue the most basic facts behind Ford’s allegations. It would be a simple matter for the FBI to question, not only Mark Judge, but also Squi, Patrick Smyth, Timmy (the person who apparently hosted the July 1st party) – and the other attendees: Bernie, and Tom.

If it’s not too traumatic for Ford, she should be allowed time to visit the home where Timmy hosted the July 1st party (this would be easy for the FBI to locate). Seeing this home might allow her to recall whether or not this is the home where the alleged assault occurred and, if it is, revisiting it might bring back more relevant memories that could be corroborated. This is simply common sense investigation – something the FBI does all the time. Yet the Republican majority on the Judiciary Committee is blocking it. Why? They have no good reason other than the fact that, at some level, they believe Ford’s allegations are true and they want to get Kavanaugh on the court before the truth comes out.

Here’s the relevant page from Kavanaugh’s calendar. See July 1 and 7. If this image is not clear, see the WaPo article above.

3 Likes

True…

Disturbing…

#GetOurManDamnTheTruth

#SellOuts

Yes, I saw a lot of that on twitter last night, and seeing all the players were in the same place and at the same time was mind boggling. Something like the sequence of evidence where Mitchell was on that very date, and one of the R’s moved the conversation elsewhere.

So many misleading bits of info beyond what ‘Skis’ could be, what ‘boofed’ or ‘devils’ triangle’ really is - he lied. He continued to lie.

And even more digging going on…someone looked up some possible houses for where it took place and came up with Mark Judge’s grandmother’s house which was about 1.1 miles away from the Country Club.

The FBI would really help…it really would.

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

2 Likes

Why would anyone be shocked??

Who doesn’t at this point?

1 Like

…more valid concerns.

@jimsciutto

Dean of Yale Law School - Kavanaugh’s alma mater - is calling for an investigation prior to confirmation vote: “Proceeding with the confirmation process without further investigation is not in the best interest of the Court or our profession” -Yale Law School Dean Heather Gerken
9:21 AM - 28 Sep 2018

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

BOOM: :boom:

I’m so glad that the ABA has stepped in. They are objecting to the lack of due process to uncover the basic facts surrounding the allegations against Kavanaugh.

Although they don’t specifically mention it in their letter, I feel there’s a possibility that they may also be concerned about Kavanaugh’s unhinged behavior.

Now, the big question is will the Republicans dare to defy this request from the organization that has the power to disbar lawyers? The fact that the ABA is even requesting this delay implies, at least to me, that they may be considering doing some investigating on their own if the FBI is not called upon to do so. That could be a scary proposition for Republicans because, depending on what they uncover, the ABA might initiate some kind of action on its own against Kavanaugh.

Am I “over interpreting” here? Are there any legal experts out there who could weigh in? (It would be much appreciated to have a professional opinion.) If the ABA were to investigate Kavanaugh’s fitness, what would that procedure look like and what might be the consequences? Or is the ABA even allowed to do something like that and if they did, would the results of their process even have any affect on the standing of a judge? I realize that it would not delay the confirmation process; I’m assuming it would be a process that would be initiated later, if he were to be confirmed – or could even happen if he were not confirmed and went back to being a circuit judge. :question:

3 Likes

“Scout’s honor and cross my heart and hope to die. Honest, mom, I didn’t do it, Marky did.” :wink:

3 Likes