WTF Community

Day 720

Updated 1/9/2019 3:33 PM PST

1/ Trump abruptly walked out of a closed-door meeting about the partial government shutdown with congressional leaders. Sen. Chuck Schumer said Trump stood up and "just walked out of the meeting" after Nancy Pelosi said she wouldn't fund his border wall even if he ended the shutdown. Trump then confirmed Schumer's story in a tweet, calling the meeting "a total waste of time." He tweeted: "I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!" (NBC News / BBC / CNN)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/01/09/day-720/
4 Likes

“I have the absolute right to do national emergency if I want,” Trump said when asked what he would do if he is unable to reach a deal with Democrats to fund the wall. (New York Times)
in other words…IT’S MY PARTY AND I’LL CRY IF I WANT TO

4 Likes

MSnbc reports via WaPo that WH has hired 17 new lawyers to help with what T may be facing…WH will be focusing on Executive Privelege…

Laurence Tribe (Law Professor/Harvard) thinks it is an uphill battle for them.

A beefed-up White House legal team is gearing up to prevent President Trump’s confidential discussions with top advisers from being disclosed to House Democratic investigators and revealed in the special counsel’s long-awaited report, setting the stage for a potential clash between the branches of government.

The strategy to strongly assert the president’s executive privilege on both fronts is being developed under newly arrived White House Counsel Pat Cipollone, who has hired 17 lawyers in recent weeks to help in the effort.

He is coordinating with White House lawyer Emmet Flood, who is leading the response to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report on his now-20-month-long investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign. Flood is based in White House Counsel’s Office but reports directly to Trump.

Trump aides say White House lawyers are focused on preserving a legal protection routinely invoked by presidents of both parties.

4 Likes

The level of shade Speaker Pelosi throws in this moment is perfect. :smirk: This is just after the meeting today when Trump walked out. Click link to watch the video :point_down:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.