WTF Community

Day 795

Updated 3/25/2019 1:10 PM PDT

1/ Attorney General William Barr concluded that Robert Mueller's investigation found no evidence that the Trump campaign "conspired or coordinated" with Russia during the 2016 election. Barr submitted a four-page summary of Mueller's key findings to Congress for review, noting that Mueller didn't find conspiracy "despite multiple offers from Russia-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign." While Mueller's team drew no conclusions about whether Trump obstructed justice, Barr and Rod Rosenstein independently concluded that the evidence was "not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction-of-justice offense." Democrats are calling for full report to be made public and are questioning Barr's conclusions. (New York Times / Washington Post / Politico / The Guardian / CNBC / NPR / Reuters / Bloomberg / Associated Press)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/03/25/day-795/
6 Likes
2 Likes

Is Felix Sater still testifying to congress this Wednesday about Trump Tower Moscow?

1 Like

Guess not.

1 Like
2 Likes

In the podcast you mention a page on the site that does an analysis of the Mueller Report but I’m having trouble finding it. What is the link, please?

2 Likes

Here you go:

(All the items with a magnifying glass)

5 Likes

Yes, thanks! I meant to respond @toddlo this morning but the day got away from me.

I take exception to your statement, “the summary of Mueller’s findings suggesting no evidence of a conspiracy.” While we have not seen the full report, even the Barr summary does not state there is “no evidence”. The quote Barr supplied is “did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.”

You can have a lot of evidence, and fall short of establishing a successful criminal prosecution.

In your defense, Chris Kahn at Reuters did no better, asserting the report by “Special Counsel Robert Mueller cleared Trump of that allegation,” and “Mueller found no evidence that the Trump campaign conspired with Russia in the 2016 election.”

Saying “no evidence” is quick, and takes less consideration and supporting information than “insufficient evidence to confidently pursue a prosecution”. But quick is not always (often) better.

Take a breath and reread.

1 Like

I hear you. It could have been clearer. I do think it’s important to remember that WTFJHT is a daily collection of abstract new summaries, so it IS going to be surface level and “quick” from time-to-time. There is a fundamental trade-off when dealing in abstract summaries and I do my best every day to get it as correct as possible without getting into the nitty gritty.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This makes me sick…unbelievable.

Not allowed to have guests on who have differing opinions???

1 Like

When I was a student senator in college, the college Republicans controlled the SA senate & did this EXACT same thing, issuing a letter to freshman senators (I was one of those) of people “not to talk to”. One of those happened to be a close friend of mine.

Deja vu.

3 Likes