WTF Community

Day 798

Updated 3/28/2019 3:22 PM PDT

1/ Robert Mueller's report is more than 300 pages long and contains "lots and lots of footnotes," raising questions about how Attorney General Bill Barr was able to release his four-page summary of "principal conclusions" two days after Mueller turned it in. Democrats have demanded that Barr make the full report and "all of the underlying evidence" public. Nancy Pelosi called Barr's summary "condescending" and "arrogant." The Justice Department, meanwhile, has said it will release a version of the Mueller report in "weeks not months," but sensitive information will not be included. (New York Times / Politico / Wall Street Journal / Associated Press / Axios / CNN / NBC News)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/03/28/day-798/
4 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that Twitter is overrun with fake Dem and Russian bots? Noticing a lot more on @trump_regrets

3 Likes

You can see what kind of mood T is in for his Grand Rapids rally tonight…gloating, spewing and the rest.

Follow the thread…you’ll have seen enough after the first few. He’s just a bully gone super-over-the-top tonight. :tired_face: (look at some of the gifs following it too…those will make you laugh.)

2 Likes

I don’t know how to tell what’s a bot these days, to be perfectly honest. Anyone have a primer?

5 Likes

We’re in for an onslaught of rhetoric from the R’s who’s sole aim is to undercut anyone on the left who criticized T during the Mueller Reporting
period. Ad campaigns, talking points and the whole take down from the R’s in hopes of propping up DT.

Trump allies see Barr’s letter as a kind of Swiss Army knife—a tool useful in all kinds of situations. Not only is it exculpatory, they say, but it also implicitly rebukes the press for its coverage of the Russia investigation, inoculating Trump from any future scandal that reporters might unearth. According to a source familiar with internal discussions at the Republican National Committee and the pro-Trump super PAC America First, both organizations are “geared up for any nonsense to come.”

They’re already prepared to attack reporters. “Any reporter who tries that will be hit with 30-second spots of all their ridiculous claims about collusion,” said the source, who, like others interviewed for this story, requested anonymity to describe private conversations. “Their tweets have all been screencapped. It’s all ready to go.” (“It’s the same thing we’ve been doing the last two years. We’re going to hold the media accountable when we see fit,” an RNC official clarified, adding that this would include digital clips shared on social media.)

Earlier this week, Trump’s campaign previewed the in-your-face tactics they have in mind. A campaign official sent a letter to TV producers cautioning them against booking certain guests who had alleged that Trump colluded with Russia, including Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Democratic Representative Adam Schiff of California, and Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez.

“It’s not hard to figure where we’re going to go with this,” a current campaign official told The Atlantic . “We’re still in victory-lap mode, but it will turn into a message that [Democrats] will say or do anything to stop us from making America great again, including making up lies about the president and ruining a lot of people’s lives.”

2 Likes

Only if they violate the Twitter rules.

1 Like

From Mother Jones

4 Likes

No one is a born skeptic…we can become very sceptical when the actions point to it

4 Likes

At his first rally since being cleared of Russian conspiracy charges, Trump ticked through those he felt wronged him as the crowd chanted, “Lock them up.”

Wow, this is next level scary… :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Judge strikes down Trump’s association health plan rule - Axios

The news: One type of Trumpcare has been struck down, ruled an illegal bypass of the ACA. 2/

When Trump failed to repeal the ACA, he illegally created two workarounds around Congress.

The first— Association Health Plans— were ruled illegal. The second type, allowing plans which skirt rules intended to be short term to last 3 years— are still out there. 3/

Here’s a story with some more details.

Basically, judges are saying to Trump: stop doing what Congress tells you you cannot. Just like his border wall which will soon tumble. 4/

Blockquote

4 Likes
1 Like

Follow thread…

2/ Says he heard about this this morning

3/New DeVos statement, after she defended the cuts publicly: “I am pleased and grateful the president and I see eye-to-eye on this issue and that he has decided to fund our Special Olympics grant. This is funding I have fought for behind the scenes over the last several years.”

4/ *Obligatory note that it’s up to Congress, not the executive branch, what gets funded and to what extent. Trump saying he has authorized funding doesn’t materialize the funding.

5/ OH MY GOSH. This statement from Democratic Rep. @MarkPocan:

“I’m extremely glad that the American people have convinced President Trump to do the right thing with Special Olympics. … And by the way, can someone pull Betsy from under the bus?”

3 Likes

Very biased this writing, but that Politico article above isn’t much better. While Trump’s been stating he has no issue with the report being released, McConnell’s blocked referendums on it and Barr is working to redact and hide it. Actions speak louder than words.

This article on his rally falls down on being objective, but at least it admits he’s far from vindicated: The Media Ignores Trump's Rally As He Completely Implodes Over The Mueller Report

3 Likes

Their intent is to scare and intimidate.

The special counsel’s report on the investigation into Russia’s election interference will be made public by mid-April, Attorney General William P. Barr told lawmakers on Friday, adding that the White House would not see the document before he sent it to Congress.

“Everyone will soon be able to read it,” Mr. Barr wrote in a letter to the chairmen of the congressional judiciary committees.

The office of the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, and other law enforcement officials are scouring the report for sensitive information to black out before releasing it, including secret grand jury testimony, classified materials and information about other ongoing federal investigations, Mr. Barr wrote.

He said the report was nearly 400 pages, plus additional exhibits.

2 Likes

Windthin
“The Media Ignores Trump’s Rally As He Completely Implodes Over Mueller Report”

This is what the media should be doing! If he’s going to lie, then he should be ignored.

3 Likes

IIRC the concern I’ve heard over this release is that these people like to claim everything Trump ever said as “executive privilege.”

2 Likes

The “meat” Is in this passage of Barr’s new letter to Congress. Checkout (4) below.

We will see whatever Barr allows. It seems he’s going to cut it up how he sees fit. Barr writes that Trump does not plan on exerting his executive privilege but all these WH people have very limited credibility. It’s a case of watch and wait in terms of what the White House will do and how they’ll react.

What I don’t understand is why wasn’t this report ready to go to Congress unredacted or at least the “Gang of Eight”? I understand the need to protect other open investigations and protecting the Grand Jury but surely the “Gang of Eight” have the clearance to view these documents.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Do you report them? They are there to divide us so they can steal next year’s election again. I don’t ever address them, but I usually report them.

3 Likes