WTF Community

Day 9

1/ Democrats plan to bypass Republicans and approve a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package on a party-line basis using budget reconciliation. The process allows some legislation tied to the budget to pass the Senate with a simple majority, rather than the 60 votes needed to avoid a filibuster. Republicans have repeatedly rejected Biden’s plan, which would provide a $1,400 check, increase and extend federal unemployment, provide funds for vaccine distribution, state and local governments, and schools. Press secretary Jen Psaki also ruled out splitting up the package, saying the Biden administration is “not going to do this in a piecemeal way or break apart a big package meant to address the crisis we’re facing.” (Politico / NBC News / Wall Street Journal / New York Times)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2021/01/28/day-9/
3 Likes

I wonder if you should start calling it the Dept. of “We Admit We Don’t Have This Under Control Yet” or something, heheh. (not that serious. you probably want continuity.)

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing! But I would suggest something like “We’re Working Hard to Get This Under Control”.

1 Like

The serious answer to the question about the Dept. of “We Have It Totally Under Control” is that I don’t really see the point in changing it until the pandemic is actually arrested. While it started as a sort of facetious/sarcastic Trump quote, I do think it’s important to recognize that these things don’t just stop because a change of leadership. We gotta live with the realities of the situation.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.