WTF Community

Day 953

1/ Trump's longtime personal assistant resigned and left the White House after sharing private details about the Trump family with reporters. Madeleine Westerhout resigned after officials learned that she attended an off-the-record dinner with reporters in Bedminster, N.J. and reportedly shared details about Trump's family and the Oval Office operations. The specifics of her conversation with the reporters are unclear. (Politico / New York Times / CNN)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/08/30/day-953/
3 Likes

Poor Fox. It’s having SUCH an identity crisis. I almost feel bad for th- oh, wait, it’s Fox. No I don’t. They made this flaming dumpster bed.

4 Likes

So, this picture Donnie tweeted out? It’s classified. Top secret. Not to be sh- ah fuck.

Looks like Donnie’s first “Space Command” is totally ignore any pretense of secrecy or security.

If Jack can be hacked, how soon before Donnie declares WWIII over twitter?

3 Likes

Oh :smirk:

Madeleine Westerhout, who left her White House job suddenly on Thursday as President Trump’s personal assistant, was fired after bragging to reporters that she had a better relationship with Trump than his own daughters, Ivanka and Tiffany Trump, and that the president did not like being in pictures with Tiffany because he perceived her as overweight.

[…]

Westerhout also jokingly told the journalists that Trump couldn’t pick Tiffany out of a crowd, said one of the people. “She had a couple drinks and in an uncharacteristically unguarded moment, she opened up to the reporters,” the person said.

3 Likes

More context for ya,

• President Donald Trump on Friday insisted that the U.S. had nothing to do with the apparent launch pad explosion of an Iranian rocket.
  • Trump’s denial also included what looked to be an aerial photograph of the launch site, which experts say was likely never meant for public view.
  • A U.S. defense official told CNBC that the picture in Trump’s tweet, which appeared to be a snapshot of a physical copy of the satellite image, was included in a Friday intelligence briefing.
4 Likes

@Windthin
I don’t know what to think anymore. :flushed::woman_shrugging:t2:

:eyes:

Source

3 Likes

Bolton on the outs with Trump over Afghanistan Policy :hugs:

Bolton sidelined from Afghanistan policy as his standing with Trump falters

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/bolton-sidelined-from-afghanistan-policy-as-his-standing-with-trump-falters/2019/08/30/79651256-8888-483b-9fd1-c47a2cfadab7_story.html

As the president’s top aides prepared for a high-stakes meeting on the future of Afghanistan earlier this month, one senior official was not on the original invite list: national security adviser John Bolton.

[…]

His opposition to the diplomatic effort in Afghanistan has irritated President Trump, these officials said, and led aides to leave the National Security Council out of sensitive discussions about the agreement.

The sidelining of Bolton has raised questions about his influence in an administration that is seeking a troop withdrawal from Afghanistan as well as an ambitious nuclear deal with North Korea and potential engagement with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani. Bolton, U.S. officials said, stands in opposition to those efforts but he does so increasingly from the periphery.

“It’s messed up on so many levels that the national security adviser isn’t involved, but trust is a real issue,” said a senior U.S. official, one of a half-dozen who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal conversations.

4 Likes

Would it be wrong for me to hope Mar-a-Lago gets hit?

4 Likes

But, of course, if that did happen Trump would just turn it into an insurance scam as he did years earlier:

6 Likes

Happy Friday, I guess? :woman_shrugging:t2:

As pictures from commercial satellites of a rocket’s smoking remains began to circulate, President Trump denied Friday on Twitterthat the United States was involved. It was an unusual message because the Iranian government had neither acknowledged the accident nor blamed the United States. His tweet ended with an apparent taunt: “I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened” in the fiery accident.

But Mr. Trump also included in his tweet a high-resolution image of the disaster, immediately raising questions about whether he had plucked a classified image from his morning intelligence briefing to troll the Iranians. The president seemed to resolve the question on Friday night on his way to Camp David when he told reporters, “We had a photo and I released it, which I have the absolute right to do.”

[…]

Commercial satellite photographs and the far more detailed image that Mr. Trump released showed devastating damage at the Imam Khomeini Space Center. The rocket itself appeared to have disintegrated. White House and intelligence officials declined to say whether the image Mr. Trump tweeted came from his morning intelligence briefing, but other officials conceded it bore all of the markings of a spy-satellite image.

American officials have often accused Iran of conducting the launches, under the guise of its space program, to simulate the technology involved in deploying a conventional or nuclear warhead — an effort American officials have vowed to stop. In February, The New York Times reported that the Trump administration had accelerated a secret American program to sabotage both Iran’s missiles and its rockets.

Two previous attempts at launching satellites — on Jan. 15 and on Feb. 5 — failed. More than two-thirds of Iran’s satellite launches have failed over the past 11 years, a remarkably high number compared with the 5 percent failure rate worldwide.

Mr. Trump’s denial and the satellite image he released seemed meant to maximize Iran’s embarrassment over the episode.

[…]

If the accident was linked to a covert action by the United States — one that Mr. Trump would have been required to authorize in a presidential “finding” — he and other American officials would be required by law to deny involvement.

The laws governing covert actions, which stretch back to the Truman administration, focus on obscuring who was responsible for the act, not covering up the action itself. Most American presidents have fulfilled that requirement by staying silent about such episodes, but Mr. Trump does not operate by ordinary rules — and may have decided that an outright denial was his best course.

[…]

But it was Mr. Trump’s release of a satellite photograph that attracted the most discussion among intelligence officials. Several former officials noted that the upper right-hand corner, where the level of classification of the photograph would normally be denoted, was blacked out before Mr. Trump tweeted the image. That suggested a rushed effort by the United States to declassify it, presumably at Mr. Trump’s command. A glare on the photograph suggested someone may have used a cellphone to take a picture of the image as it was displayed on a tablet computer, which is how classified images are often shown to the president during security briefings.

[…]

David Schmerler, a senior research associate at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies, who closely examined the satellite imagery of Thursday’s blast, said there was no way to know if it was accidental or intentional.

4 Likes

That tariiffs will start kicking in will make for any angry electorate…sept 1st they start.

TVs to shoes: This time consumers face pain of Trump tariffs

President Donald Trump’s trade war with China, until now mainly an abstraction for American consumers, is about to hit home.

Beginning Sunday, the U.S. government will begin collecting 15% tariffs on $112 billion in Chinese imports — items ranging from smartwatches and TVs to shoes, diapers, sporting goods and meat and dairy products. For the first time since Trump launched his trade war, American households face price increases because many U.S. companies say they’ll be forced to pass on to customers the higher prices they’ll pay on Chinese imports.

3 Likes

Thank you OR for enacting the ‘red flag’ law.

Using a loudspeaker, he warned the right-wing activists who turned out to condemn the city’s handling of recent violent demonstrations that they needed to protect themselves against their anti-fascist, or antifa, rivals.

“If antifa gets to the point where they start killing us, I’m going to kill them next,” Kohfield, 32, said. “I’d slaughter them and I have a detailed plan on how I would wipe out antifa.

That threat pushed the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task to take a series of extraordinary steps against Kohfield, including temporary seizure of a cache of his firearms under Oregon’s new “red flag” lawaimed at preventing gun violence, The Oregonian/OregonLive has learned.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I laughed my butt off when i saw this

1 Like

Am I the only person who finds Trump’s immediate insistence we had nothing to do with the explosion and rocket failure in Iran really, really disconcerting?

#SpaceCommand #SpaceForce #SpaceFarce

3 Likes