WTF Community

Immigration: issues and policy

Separate the families and then deport the children in a different proceeding from their parents. Damn, that’s cold.

The document was circulated between high level officials at DHS and the Justice Department, at least one of whom was instrumental in writing the first iteration of the administration’s travel ban.

The plan, and the comments written in the margins, provide a window into the policy discussion thinking at the time, how far officials were willing to go to deter families seeking asylum and what they may still be considering.

In one comment, the Justice Department official suggests that Customs and Border Protection could see that children who have been separated from their parents would be denied an asylum hearing before an immigration judge, which is typically awarded to children who arrive at the border alone.

Instead, the entire family would be given an order of “expedited removal” and then separated, placing the child in the care of HHS in U.S. Marshall’s custody while both await deportation.

“If CBP issues an ER [expedited removal] for the entire family unit, places the parents in the custody of the U.S. Marshal, and then places the minors with HHS, it would seem that DHS could work with HHS to actually repatriate [deport] the minors then,” the official wrote.

“It would take coordination with the home countries, of course, but that doesn’t seem like too much of a cost to pay compared to the status quo.”

It is unclear from the official’s comment whether the government planned on reunifying children with their parents before they were deported.

3 Likes

Federal immigration officials are force-feeding six immigrants through plastic nasal tubes during a hunger strike that’s gone on for a month inside a Texas detention facility, The Associated Press has learned.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement says 11 detainees at the El Paso Processing Center have been refusing food, some for more than 30 days. Detainees who reached the AP, along with a relative and an attorney representing hunger strikers, said nearly 30 detainees from India and Cuba have been refusing to eat, and some are now so weak they cannot stand up or talk.

Another four detainees are on hunger strikes in the agency’s Miami, Phoenix, San Diego and San Francisco areas of responsibility, said ICE spokeswoman Leticia Zamarripa on Wednesday.

The men say they stopped eating to protest verbal abuse and threats of deportation from guards. They are also upset about lengthy lock ups while awaiting legal proceedings.

3 Likes

Some in-your-face-T showing for the SOTU address…a recently fired undocumented (fake social security card) worker from T’s Bedminister Golf Club.

I’m not scared to show my face,” she said, speaking in Spanish. “I am not speaking for me, I’m speaking on behalf of millions of undocumented immigrants who live in the United States.”

The congresswoman, Bonnie Watson Coleman, represents the New Jersey district in which Ms. Morales lives. The news that Ms. Morales had been invited to attend Tuesday’s State of the Union address as Ms. Watson Coleman’s guest was reported by The Washington Post on Wednesday.

“Immigrants by and large are hardworking, trustworthy and skilled people who simply want to work and build better lives here,” Ms. Watson Coleman said in a statement. “For years these kinds of people were loyal and dedicated enough to be Trump Organization employees. I hope that in his State of the Union address, Donald Trump will finally acknowledge the real face of immigrants in this country — women and children fleeing violence; law-abiding, taxpaying people who would do almost anything to be Americans. And if he can’t, I’ve invited Victorina so that he may look her in her eyes to tell his lies to a familiar face.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday evening.

2 Likes

[Judge’s speech at new citizen swearing in ceremony, Portland, Oregon](http://pinkmartini.com/love-of-country-old-and-new

The speech made by this judge at a swearing in ceremony of new American citizens is well done. I found it on the website of my favorite little orchestra Pink Martini, headquartered in Portland. The band had performed at the ceremony for the new citizens. Several years ago the band assisted a non-profit I’m a member of the BOD of when we needed public donations (cash) to stabilize our financial situation. I say that here because I want to give them credit for helping us. I found this judge’s comments a breath of fresh air at a time when immigration and immigrants receive so much negative attention.

2 Likes

Obviously this is horrible. Who will stand up for their rights?

Thousands of migrant children who crossed the southern border into the U.S. have reported they were sexually assaulted while in government custody, according to Department of Health and Human Services documents released Tuesday by Rep. Ted Deutch’s office.

In the past four years, 4,556 children said they were sexually assaulted while in the care of Health and Human Services’ Office of Refugee Resettlement, which takes custody of unaccompanied minors who cross the southern border alone and those who are separated from their families.

Allegations go back to 2015, meaning the reported assaults started under the Obama administration. But the allegations have increased in the past two years after the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” policy that led to at least 2,800 family separations flooding the department with additional children.

4 Likes

This post is relevant to both Immigration and Who’s driving the Narrative.

I try to keep an eye on what’s going on with immigration, but with all the other fuckery I lose track. At least 4 activists have been detained in similar circumstances.

3 Likes

I actually have three stories related to this: it seems to be an ongoing, developing issue. I find the NYC protester issue, which Matt has up on WTF, feels related to this harassment at the border:

ICE Has Kept Tabs on ‘Anti-Trump’ Protestors in New York City

Documents reveal that the immigration enforcement agency has been keenly attuned to left-leaning protests in the city. https://www.thenation.com/article/ice-immigration-protest-spreadsheet-tracking/

U.S. officials made list of reporters, lawyers, activists to “question” at border

Several people on the list told NBC News they were questioned at the border as part of what U.S. border agents called a “national security investigation.”

The US Compiled A Secret List Of Journalists, Attorneys, & Activists To Question At The Border

“It starts to smack of dictatorship or the persecution of actors & press during the red scare,” a senior ICE official not involved in the matter said.

4 Likes

@Windthin Hey, I moved your post. Trying to consolidate similar threads.

1 Like

Oh, neat. Sorry, I am a bit new here and I tend to collect stories. It’s one of my things. If you want the big long read of them, I have a running mega-thread here: https://twitter.com/PVArkol/status/1069378853003505670

1 Like

Horrid…I can’t even…

2 Likes

:anguished: Didn’t we learn anything from the horrific human toll inflicted by Agent Orange during the Vietnam War?

2 Likes

More child separation and untenable conditions for undocumented Immigrant children. The numbers are staggering.:cry:

As of Thursday, the number of undocumented immigrant children in U.S. custody had increased to more than 13,000, according to figures obtained by The Chronicle. The number is a near-record high, and puts the shelter network that the Department of Health and Human Services runs to keep such children in custody near maximum capacity.

As a result, shelters designed to provide a bridge for children until they can be placed in a home are on the verge of dangerous overcrowding. A now-closed temporary shelter for children in Texas, for example, posed “serious safety and health vulnerabilities” because of a lack of adequate background checks for the staff and an insufficient number of clinicians for the immigrants’ mental health care, according to an inspector general’s report. The problems happened because Health and Human Services hastily opened the facility to deal with an emergency need for shelter space, the inspector general said.

2 Likes

A 2½-year-old Guatemalan boy apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border died Tuesday night in El Paso after several weeks in the hospital, according to the Guatemalan Consulate and another person with direct knowledge of the case.

The boy, who was not identified, arrived at the border with his mother days after now-acting homeland security secretary Kevin McAleenanheld a news conference near a crowded holding facility in El Paso on March 27 to warn that a surge of Central Americans was pushing the system to the “breaking point.”

The boy is the fourth migrant child to die since December after being apprehended at the southern border and taken to the hospital. All have been from Guatemala, a Central American nation experiencing severe drought and poverty, and where smugglers have been offering discounted trips to families traveling to the United States.

1 Like

16-year-old migrant boy dies in U.S. custody, 5th child to die since Dec. (that we know of) 16-year-old migrant boy dies in U.S. custody, 5th child to die since December via @nbcnews

A 10-year-old migrant girl died last year in government care, officials acknowledge Migrant children death: A 10-year-old migrant girl died last year in government care, officials acknowledge [Exclusive] - CBS News

2 Likes

Six children have died. This one wasn’t previously reported.

3 Likes

Yup, sorry, that’s in the second one there. And those are the ones we know of.

I have articles on suicides, miscarriages, a transgender asylum seeker beaten to death… it’s bad all around. The full scope I am not certain we’ll ever know.

2 Likes

A federal judge has partially blocked President Donald Trump’s plan to fund construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The preliminary injunction issued Friday immediately halts a $1 billion transfer of Pentagon counterdrug funding to cover expansions and enhancement of border barriers.

The court order also appears to jeopardize another $1.5 billion of the $8.1 billion the administration planned to use for border construction.

However, Oakland, Calif.-based U.S. District Court Judge Haywood Gilliam’s order only limits construction in specific border areas in Texas and Arizona and does not prevent the administration from tapping other funding sources to advance those projects.

Gilliam said the administration’s plan to transfer counterdrug funding to finance the border-wall construction appeared to be unconstitutional because the legal authority the administration was relying on applied only to “unforeseen” needs. …

“The position that when Congress declines the Executive’s request to appropriate funds, the Executive nonetheless may simply find a way to spend those funds ‘without Congress’ does not square with fundamental separation of powers principles dating back to the earliest days of our Republic,” the judge wrote. …

The judge’s words are spot on. Trump is trying to take over the legislative branch of our government. It’s Congress that allocates funds, not the President. That’s Constitution 101.

3 Likes

CBP Continues to Harass Journalists and Activists

This thread is the firsthand account of journalist and writer Nate Abaurrea, who was detained and harassed by the CBP, as so many activists and journalists have been. Fair warning, it’s quite graphic and disturbing.

Migrant boy who died in U.S. custody wanted to help brother with special needs, family says

The family of Carlous Gregorio Hernandez Vasquez mourned him as a well-behaved teen who loved soccer and music, playing both the bass and the piano

1 Like

The Trump administration is putting LGBTQ immigrants in solitary confinement

Thousands of immigrants are being forced into solitary confinement because they’re LGBTQ, disabled, or report abuse from guards.

1 Like