WTF Community

Let's Move The Statue of Liberty to Portland?

Good News from the Resistance : Maine has the oldest and second whitest (Go Vermont!) population in America. So when 400+ asylum-seekers landed in the state this past summer, mostly from the Congo and Angola, many — including Portland Mayor Ethan Strimling — recognized an opportunity. “If we have discovered the magic wand that will bring young families to Portland to help us build the next generation, why would we want to stop that, especially when it costs us so little money?” the mayor said.

Why Maine? No one knows exactly. Some recent arrivals said they’d heard through the grapevine that Portland was a safe, aging city that needed more workers. Others had heard there was a strong safety net.

After making their way by air to Brazil, then by foot and bus through Mexico to the Texas border, what the migrants found in Portland was a welcoming community. When the city set up hundreds of cots in the Portland Expo and school gyms, 1,200 residents volunteered to help. In Cape Elizabeth, there was a Welcome! 4th of July picnic. The Portland City Council voted to allocate $900,000+ of private donations for the new arrivals’ housing and basic needs. Non-profits like the New Mainers Resource Center helped find the migrants more permanent housing in Portland and nearby towns; Prosperity Maine – whose executive director Claude Rwaganje was born in the Congo — provides financial education, “the first step to achieving your American dream.”

Last week, Luc Mpangaje flew from his home in Texas to Portland, to thank members of the First Parish Church for helping him in 2010 when he’d been an asylum seeker fleeing Burundi, where he’d been jailed and beaten by police for his political views. He’d arrived in Portland with $80, speaking no English, without his family. Now a U.S. citizen living in Dallas, and reunited with his wife and 10-year old son Malcolm and 13-year old daughter Yasmine, Mpangaje works as an airport shuttle driver. He’s saving to move his family back to Portland.

“If you do something good for me, you’ll always stay in my heart,” Mpangaje said. “That’s why I keep coming back here – because I feel like I owe something.”

Mainers, listen up! Ditch Susan Collins, and you’ll soon be topping another list: Best State in the U.S.

Yes, there’s even more Good News from the Resistance :

WE :heart: WHAT’S GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES
Building GOTV infrastructure is not sexy enough to make the news – but it’s what we’re going to need to win in 2020. Read the Mobilization News

WE :heart: POTATOES
Let’s all go back to a simpler time, when spelling a word incorrectly was the worst a politician could do. Read the Spell Check News

WE :heart: THESE CRUISERS
Seizing an opportunity to help is always a good thing. Read The Cruise Ship News

WE :heart: THIS GERRYMANDERING RULING
The news coming out of North Carolina this week wasn’t great. But it’s likely to get better. Read the Gerrymandering News

WE :heart: BEN & JERRY’S
Did we really need another reason to eat more ice cream? Read the Ice Cream News

WE :heart: MONTANA FOR DOING THIS
But why are there so many kids in the foster care system there? Read the Foster Care News

WE :heart: FOOD WITH SPICE
This could be a reason to book a flight to Oakland. Read the Foodie News

WE :heart: THAT ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS ARE RAKING IT IN
As the White House assaults the environment, green groups are saying, “ca-ching, ca-ching.” Read the Fundraising Good News

WE :heart: PLAYING SWITCHEROO WITH MICHELLE AND PIRO
Such a simple act of resistance can feel so satisfying. Watch the Bookstore Switcheroo

WE :heart: TAKING ACTION:
Watch this Randy Rainbow video and treat yourself to a good laugh.

Originally published at marlafelcher.com by Marla Felcher. Republished with permission.

1 Like