WTF Community

📝 Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

What kind of crazy has this man wrought…dumbfounding and dangerous.

Trump is incompetent, impulsive and amoral. Heaven help us all.

It has become a cliche to quote William Butler Yeats’s poem “The Second Coming,” written almost 100 years ago in the aftermath of World War I. But no one has said it better: “Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; / Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world . . . And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, / Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born?”

We should acknowledge such apocalyptic thoughts so that we may conquer them. For many millennia, this has been the season of hope and renewal — the time of year when, in the Northern Hemisphere, the daylight hours begin to grow longer and the promise of spring, still months away, is assured. While Christians celebrate the birth of their savior, others mark the turning of a page and the coming of a brighter tomorrow.

So we must be realistic but never hopeless. Much has gone wrong. But it is in our power to put things right.

Political news refused to take a break for the holidays. Here is a recap of what occurred in the whirlwind week of Dec. 17-21. (Blair Guild/The Washington Post)

It is difficult, at the moment, to fully assess the damage Trump is wreaking. We have never had a president like him, so history is a poor guide. For his racism, we can perhaps look back to Woodrow Wilson; his general unfitness to hold the nation’s highest office recalls the hapless Andrew Johnson. Maybe Andrew Jackson was as impetuous, maybe Richard M. Nixon as venal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/trump-is-incompetent-impulsive-and-amoral-heaven-help-us-all/2018/12/24/b78e25d2-07bb-11e9-a3f0-71c95106d96a_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.32ec65e103b5&__twitter_impression=true

3 Likes

One after the other…Op-ed pieces that scream get rid of this man.

NYTimes: Time for G.O.P. to Threaten to Fire Trump
Time for G.O.P. to Threaten to Fire Trump

It was the moment when you had to ask whether we really can survive two more years of Trump as president, whether this man and his demented behavior — which will get only worse as the Mueller investigation concludes — are going to destabilize our country, our markets, our key institutions and, by extension, the world. And therefore his removal from office now has to be on the table.

I believe that the only responsible choice for the Republican Party today is an intervention with the president that makes clear that if there is not a radical change in how he conducts himself — and I think that is unlikely — the party’s leadership will have no choice but to press for his resignation or join calls for his impeachment.

It has to start with Republicans, given both the numbers needed in the Senate and political reality. Removing this president has to be an act of national unity as much as possible — otherwise it will tear the country apart even more. I know that such an action is very difficult for today’s G.O.P., but the time is long past for it to rise to confront this crisis of American leadership.

2 Likes

I propose Jethro Tull’s song Locomotive Breath as the Trump investigative/admin… theme song.

And Mueller stole the handle and the train is won’t stop going no it won’t slow down…

The entire song could be made so with no changes - but I do like the part of the “all time loser” as Trump.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCT6pA5I9A

There have to be GOP members saying cut our loss now and regain favor in 2020… allowing them to primary him or replace and primary someone. Even if McConnell is ready to Titanic the Senate and the country to - really just get the courts changed? Or is there something worse being breed in the dark corners of GOP leadership?

2 Likes

How Mark Burnett Resurrected Donald Trump as an Icon of American Success

A bit more insight into the character of DT.

3 Likes

Yes…Burnett’s been instrumental in showcasing T…and has been very loyal to him.

Hey, FWIW

posted on…Link to Portrait of a President

We’ve got this guy cornered…and hopefully outta office.

HNY

1 Like

Mitt Romney comes out swinging. The newly elected Republican is ready to take on T, call him out on his bad behavior and maybe another Presidential run.

So it begins.

The Washington Post: Mitt Romney: A president shapes the nation’s character. Trump’s falls short.

The Trump presidency made a deep descent in December. The departures of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, the appointment of senior persons of lesser experience, the abandonment of allies who fight beside us, and the president’s thoughtless claim that America has long been a “sucker” in world affairs all defined his presidency down.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.

It is not that all of the president’s policies have been misguided. He was right to align U.S. corporate taxes with those of global competitors, to strip out excessive regulations, to crack down on China’s unfair trade practices, to reform criminal justice and to appoint conservative judges. These are policies mainstream Republicans have promoted for years. But policies and appointments are only a part of a presidency.

To a great degree, a presidency shapes the public character of the nation. A president should unite us and inspire us to follow “our better angels.” A president should demonstrate the essential qualities of honesty and integrity, and elevate the national discourse with comity and mutual respect. As a nation, we have been blessed with presidents who have called on the greatness of the American spirit. With the nation so divided, resentful and angry, presidential leadership in qualities of character is indispensable. And it is in this province where the incumbent’s shortfall has been most glaring.

The world is also watching. America has long been looked to for leadership. Our economic and military strength was part of that, of course, but our enduring commitment to principled conduct in foreign relations, and to the rights of all people to freedom and equal justice, was even more esteemed. Trump’s words and actions have caused dismay around the world. In a 2016 Pew Research Center poll, 84 percent of people in Germany, Britain, France, Canada and Sweden believed the American president would “do the right thing in world affairs.” One year later, that number had fallen to 16 percent.

The world needs American leadership, and it is in America’s interest to provide it. A world led by authoritarian regimes is a world — and an America — with less prosperity, less freedom, less peace.

Furthermore, I will act as I would with any president, in or out of my party: I will support policies that I believe are in the best interest of the country and my state, and oppose those that are not. I do not intend to comment on every tweet or fault. But I will speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions.

https://wapo.st/2EZXea8

2 Likes

Hiding in plain sight…

Opinion piece from USA Today from these two. Fred Wertheimer is founder and president of Democracy 21. Norman Eisen is chairman of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a senior fellow at Brookings and author of “The Last Palace.”

Prosecutors triggered a national firestorm last month when they asserted that President Donald Trump conspired with his ex-fixer, Michael Cohen, to commit campaign finance crimes involving hush money payments to two women. But the discussion has so far overlooked another Trump campaign finance offense — one that is even easier to prove because it occurred in plain sight.

On July 27, 2016, Trump called on Russia to find presidential Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s missing emails. “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Trump proclaimed. He added, “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” Federal campaign finance law prohibits any person from soliciting campaign contributions, defined as anything of value to be given to influence an election, from a foreign national, including a foreign government.

In asking Russia to find Clinton’s emails, presidential candidate Trump violated this statutory prohibition on seeking help from a foreign country to influence an election. Trump in essence called on a foreign adversary to locate and release something that was of great value to him and his campaign.

3 Likes

It may be preaching to the choir I know…but this comes up over and over again.

Many see that T’s ability to lead our country is conflicted and he is corrupt, self-interested, and lacks the necessary brain to lead effectively. We keep bringing this point home, and almost like a call to action, these Op-Ed’s harp on what is not being done.

What R’s say privately about T, his inability to lead is far different than R’s coming out to denounce him and get him to resign, or encourage an impeachment process. We’ve seen very little public pronouncements against T…and now with a Dem lead Congress, we are hearing from these Republicans newly elected Sen. Mitt Romney and Sen Susan Collins and Sen Cory Gardner, who need votes for their 2020 reelection will protest and not vote for the wall. But this is too little…

Everyone says if Mueller’s report has irrefutable evidence that the President knew of campaign corruption and more, or the CREW group filing for emoluments abuse, or SDNY has a campaign corruption filing to come, or if the public gets enraged enough to demonstrate then things could change quickly.

Let’s hope sooner rather than later something happens to rid ourselves of this ill-equipped and corrupt President.

The People vs. Donald J. Trump

He is demonstrably unfit for office. What are we waiting for?

He has repeatedly put his own interests above those of the country. He has used the presidency to promote his businesses. He has accepted financial gifts from foreign countries. He has lied to the American people about his relationship with a hostile foreign government. He has tolerated cabinet officials who use their position to enrich themselves.

To shield himself from accountability for all of this — and for his unscrupulous presidential campaign — he has set out to undermine the American system of checks and balances. He has called for the prosecution of his political enemies and the protection of his allies. He has attempted to obstruct justice. He has tried to shake the public’s confidence in one democratic institution after another, including the press, federal law enforcement and the federal judiciary.

The unrelenting chaos that Trump creates can sometimes obscure the big picture. But the big picture is simple: The United States has never had a president as demonstrably unfit for the office as Trump. And it’s becoming clear that 2019 is likely to be dominated by a single question: What are we going to do about it?

The easy answer is to wait — to allow the various investigations of Trump to run their course and ask voters to deliver a verdict in 2020. That answer has one great advantage. It would avoid the national trauma of overturning an election result. Ultimately, however, waiting is too dangerous. The cost of removing a president from office is smaller than the cost of allowing this president to remain.

He has already shown, repeatedly, that he will hurt the country in order to help himself. He will damage American interests around the world and damage vital parts of our constitutional system at home. The risks that he will cause much more harm are growing.

For the country’s sake, there is only one acceptable outcome, just as there was after Americans realized in 1974 that a criminal was occupying the Oval Office. The president must go.

Achieving this outcome won’t be easy. It will require honorable people who have served in the Trump administration to share, publicly, what they have seen and what they believe. (At this point, anonymous leaks are not sufficient.) It will require congressional Republicans to acknowledge that they let a con man take over their party and then defended that con man. It will require Democrats and progressive activists to understand that a rushed impeachment may actually help Trump remain in office.

3 Likes

This Government shutdown vs. A National Emergency…

Wall Street Journal weighs in

He probably has the legal authority, but it’s still a bad precedent.

By

The Editorial Board

Jan. 10, 2019 7:11 p.m. ET

With Democrats in Congress refusing to appropriate $5.7 billion for a border wall, President Trump now says he may declare a national emergency. He’s probably right that he has the legal authority, but it would set a bad precedent that conservatives who believe in the separation of powers could live.

2 Likes

Senator Jon Tester nails it. Trump’s shutdown is damaging our country, not making it great.

3 Likes

Great speech, but the music make me snicker.

Yes, the music was a bad production choice!

Good read, thanks for spreading the word.

Thanks for listing this again (trump requesting help from Russia). Why this hasn’t been stated over and over in the televised news has always made me wonder why. Ditto on the wall and the request for $5B when Trump’s budget request was ONLY for $1.5B… it seems obvious that this should not be made more of than just the beating he got from righ-wing media.

2 Likes

I think T’s focus on the Wall is tied up in his hatred of non-whites. That’s how I explain the non logic of it.

Not sure where to put this…reflects who in the GOP is compromised as well, and will go out of their way to protect T. Based on an opinion piece by Richard Painter, Former GOP Lawyer under GWB, and Leanne Watt, a psychologist.

But some anti-Trump Republicans increasingly believe there’s more to it than extreme party loyalty – and they’re increasingly being vocal about it. They worry that some GOP congressional members defend Trump while also believing he’s a danger to both U.S. economic interests and national security.

These Trump critics believe, in short, that at least a handful of prominent congressional Republicans are compromised by Russia, just like Trump.

Richard Painter, University of Minnesota law professor and former chief ethics counsel for President George W. Bush’s White House, and psychologist Leanne Watt argue that it’s not a conspiracy theory at all.

In an opinion essay penned as voters went to the polls last November, they say they applied “political and psychological insights, as well as Occam’s razor – the reasoning principle used by scientists and academics that states that the most obvious explanation is usually the correct one – [to make] an evidence-based case” against some of the foremost Republican members of Congress.

Below are the U.S. representatives and senators who Painter and Watt fear are compromised:

Lindsey Graham

Long an institutionalist, Graham began to mimic Trump’s criticism of a “Deep State” and a corrupt FBI out to get the president.

We know that Senator Graham’s emails were stolen by the Russians

Mitch McConnell

They add that between 2015 and 2017, McConnell’s Super-PAC received $3.5 million from "a Russian-American oligarch with close ties to [Russian President Vladimir] Putin."

Devin Nunes

Write Painter and Watt: "There is no logical reason for Nunes to go so far in trying to obstruct the Russian investigation unless he has something personal at stake."

Note: there is a family vineyard that he owns, and I believe it is funded by some Russians.

Kevin McCarthy, Paul Ryan and Steve Scalise

Ryan, McCarthy and Scalise continued to back Nunes as House intelligence committee chairman despite Nunes’ questionable actions. They also sidestepped legislative efforts to shore up election security for the 2018 midterms and protect the Mueller investigation.

Plus, write Painter and Watt, “Ryan was instrumental in stalling and weakening the Russia sanctions bill … doing a solid for Putin, rather than doling out the appropriate consequences and protecting the United States’ interests against an enemy combatant.”

Still, they point out that the continued support of these prominent Republicans for Trump simply makes no sense, considering the damage Trump is doing to the “GOP brand” and that “Vice President [Mike] Pence would be Trump’s inevitable successor” if Congress removed Trump via impeachment and Senate conviction.

“On the surface,” they write, “ushering in a President Pence would appear to be both a brilliant and logical move for the Republicans. … [Congressional Republicans’] failure to create this change suggests that something outside the realm of normal politics cements Republican leaders to Donald Trump.”

2 Likes

@dragonfly9 Thanks – that is a thought provoking op-ed. And coincidentally, Nunes is back in the news – Mueller is looking at a breakfast meeting he had with Flynn and representatives from several countries just before the inauguration.

3 Likes

A compelling read. Max Boot succinctly lays out the incriminating evidence that is piling up against Trump.

As a follow-up, here’s Max Boot and Susan Glasser on a panel with Don Lemon, discussing Giuliani’s extraordinary admission that Trump’s campaign colluded with Russia – and the real possibility that our President could be a Russian asset.

https://caching.grabien.com/c/streams/0540/-kLlYxL0mNMgZFfwGELfUA/1547763136/540393.mp4?key=-kLlYxL0mNMgZFfwGELfUA

3 Likes