WTF Community

New! WTF Podcast

Wanted to share and give y’all a first look at what I’ve been working on in the background: a daily wtf just happened today podcast. It’s a ~5 min daily news brief, produced and recorded by a wtf community member. lmk what you think!!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

LOVE IT! Great job!!

What time are you planning it on releasing each day?

1 Like

It’ll get published every afternoon around the same time as the newsletter (maybe a little later) so it’s up to date. So… 3PM PT / 6PM ET-ish?

1 Like

:+1: I’ll make sure to watch out for it!! (I listen to podcasts like 90% of the day anyway!)

1 Like

I’m listening to it right now… There seems to be a little noise in the beginning? I also find the music a little distracting. I think if it were a steady vamp it would be okay, it’s that bit that gets louder that throws me off. So far everything else seems good to me.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a slight difference, but not much - I don’t know if it’s because of the app I use (Breaker) or that I listen at 1.2x, that made it less noticeable tho.

I love the cut in’s of audio clips! Have you ever listened to Trumpcast? Reminds of when they have the “Trump tweets” read by an impressionist. :grin:

Also, I like the intro music - mostly because I listen the podcasts continually, so sometimes it automatically goes to it and it’s a distinct difference, so I know it’s the WTF podcast and the pay closer attention than I do with some!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words! It’s interesting, you’re the third person I’ve encountered in the last two days who says they listen to the podcast sped up. What do you like most about listening on fast-forward like that? Do you do it with all of the podcasts/audio you listen to, or just the news and talk stuff?

1 Like

Saves time/more podcast listening! Some podcasts just move too slow it got frustrating (ex. The Daily). I use to toggle back and forth on some - but because I let my playlist loop, I’ve become accustom to faster pace because I would forget to switch back and just let it play. Now, everything seems too slow if I go back to normal. lol! There’s only one podcast that I don’t listen to sped up, The Gist - the host talks SO fast as it is (it’s not in my regular lineup tho).

I read an article about it once (I think Jon Lovett from PSA posted it?) – where people had actually requested 5x (!!). I could never! 1.25x is my max, 1.2x is my normal because it first 99% of my podcasts best & 1.25x for audiobooks. I couldn’t find that article - this is one similar though.

2 Likes

Feeling the love!

Two 1-stars out of 31 reviews isn’t terrible tho! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hey @jamditis! I’m not sure if this is something you have control over or not, since it’s a 3rd party app (Breaker) – but the podcast hasn’t been pushing the new updates daily or even when I force refresh my playlist for new episodes. I had to pull up the pod in my subscriptions and force refresh it there (it was about 4 days since it last updated). I only mention because I haven’t had (or have) this issue with any other podcast and was working fine up until mid-last week. Thought I pass along, just in case. :grin:

1 Like

Did you add it via the RSS feed or was it a search and subscribe kind of thing from within the app?

1 Like

I believe search/subscribe or when I imported my Podcasts from the Apple Podcasts app, I can’t remember. I know it wasn’t RSS feed tho, because I haven’t added any that way.

1 Like

So happy you’re doing this and just subscribed! I have a half-hour drive on my way to and from work so rely on podcasts to get me from place to place. This will be a great addition to my normal murder or NPR tune-ins!

2 Likes

That’s great feedback! You’re not the only one who thinks that, trust me. I actually lowered the volume of the background music for Tuesday’s episode. Did anyone else notice a difference and, if so, was it a good or bad change?

1 Like

So happy to hear you like it! As Matt said, we’re gonna try to release an episode each day at or around 3pm PT / 6pm EST. Of course, there are always unforeseen circumstances and chaos around the corner. Either way, we plan to have a new episode up at the end of the day, every day of the week.

Also, be sure to let me/us know if you have any suggestions or criticism for the podcast.

2 Likes

I got the pod notification before I got the newsletter today! lol

:+1: I would say it’s a great start!

2 Likes