WTF Community

👑 Portrait of a President

Democrats Say Trump Tax Returns Report Shows His ‘Disdain’ For Working Families

Democrats have wasted little time responding to The New York Times’ bombshell that President Trump paid just $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017.

" The New York Times reporting provides a window into the extraordinary measures that President Trump has used to game the tax code and avoid paying his fair share of taxes, while hard working Americans are," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a statement.

“It is a sign of President Trump’s disdain for America’s working families that he has spent years abusing the tax code while passing a GOP Tax Scam for the rich that gives 83% of the benefits to the wealthiest 1%,” she added.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., tweeted a “raise your hand” emoji, “if you paid more in federal income tax than President Trump.”

And Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., tweeted that she “paid thousands of dollars a year in taxes as a bartender”, and said Trump “contributed less to funding our communities than waitresses & undocumented immigrants.”

The report adds a new element into what has been a remarkably stable presidential race according to polling, which has consistently shown Democratic nominee Joe Biden with a national lead approaching double digits over Trump.

The Biden campaign was also quick to jump on the story, releasing a video ad on Twitter, comparing what it said were average taxes paid by teachers, firefighters and nurses, all substantially more than $750.

2 Likes

Chris Wallace won’t fact check Trump and Biden during the debate

3 Likes

$70,000 on hairstyling – Donald Trump’s taxes in numbers

Here are some surprising things we’ve learned about the US president’s finances

The shocking claim that Donald Trump paid only $750 in federal taxes has dominated headlines after a New York Times report into his financial affairs, but it is far from the only surprising sum exposed by the documents. Here are some of the key figures:

$750

Federal tax Trump paid in 2016, when he won the presidency.

$750

Federal tax Trump paid the following year.

Zero

Federal tax paid by Trump in 10 of the previous 15 years, including 2014 and 2015.

$100,000 a year

By comparison, the kind of figure regularly paid in federal taxes by Trump’s predecessors, Barack Obama and George W Bush

$70,000

Paid to style Trump’s hair for television, claimed as expenses.

$95,464

The total sum nine of Trump’s companies have paid as expenses to style Ivanka Trump’s hair.

$210,000

The amount written off as expenses to hire a photographer taking photographs at the Mar-a-Lago club.

$26 m

“Consulting fees” charged as a business expense between 2010 and 2018, at least some of which appears to have been directed to a company co-owned by Ivanka Trump.

$434 m

What Trump declared his earnings to be in the 2018 presidential public annual financial disclosure.

$47.4 m in losses

What he had declared to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax purposes over the same period.

$421 m

Outstanding loans that Trump owes, most of which becomes due within the next four years.

$73 m

Revenue generated from outside the US, presenting a potential conflict of interest with US foreign policy.

$13 m

Earned in one licensing deal for Trump Towers in Istanbul, including $1m since he became president.

$72.9 m

The tax refund Trump claimed and was awarded, which is now the subject of a decade-long audit battle with the IRS. It covered all the federal tax he had paid between 2005 and 2008.

$1.4 m

The annual average amount of federal tax paid by Trump between 2000 and 2017. It compares with the $25m in federal income taxes the average American with similar declared earnings could expect to pay.

$100 m

The amount Trump could now have to pay back to the IRS, including penalties, if it finds against him in the audit.

$315 m

The sum reported “lost” by Trump’s golf courses since 2000.

‘Tens of millions of dollars’

What Alan Garten, a lawyer for the Trump Organization, claims the president has paid in personal taxes since 2015.

More than 500

The number of individual companies, many bearing the Trump name, that make up the nebulous corporate network generally referred to as the Trump Organization.

The New York Times’ coverage of Trump’s taxes is an emperor-has-no-clothes moment

The New York Times just published one of the most important stories of the past five years.

The story is about President Trump’s taxes. This is an “emperor has no clothes” moment for the president and the beginning of a long, drawn-out news cycle about his finances.

As CNN’s John Harwood said during Sunday evening’s breaking news coverage, the story is “a devastating picture of a president who is bleeding financially and is depending on his presidency to prop him up financially.”

The Times’ front page on Monday has a six-column, two-line headline — which is just about as big as it gets in print. The headline says “PRESIDENT’S TAXES CHART CHRONIC LOSSES, AUDIT BATTLE AND INCOME TAX AVOIDANCE.”

A public service

Now, when I say the story is “important,” I’m not saying it is going to change many minds. That was the go-to defense by some Trump supporters on Sunday: That no one in their world will care about the revelations.

As Oliver Darcy said in a text message to me, “Trump’s supporters who are locked in the Fox bubble where this will be handled with kid gloves. And they have been conditioned to believe that NYT is an arm of the Democratic machine.”

Perhaps he’s right. Most minds are made up and some votes are already being cast. But the dollar figures in the story are still astonishing. I think the tax avoidance story is singularly important because it fills in a big part of Trump’s portrait. Voters and reporters and historians should have the fullest possible portrait of both Trump and Joe Biden. So the NYT has performed a real public service.

Trump’s predictable smears

Mere minutes after the Times story was published, Trump began a pre-planned press conference by rambling about the Bidens and other subjects.

When reporters like CNN’s Jeremy Diamond asked about the tax reporting, Trump derided it as “fake news” and proceeded to lie about The Times. Then he reached for his friendly right-wing lifelines, the same way game show contestants try to phone-a-friend for help. It’s difficult to ascertain who asked what, but the softball players included John Gizzi of Newsmax, Christina Bobb of One America News, and a to-be-determined member of the foreign press.

After the press conference, CNN anchor Ana Cabrera pointed out that Trump resorted to right-wing questioners and said that he “could solve all this by releasing his tax returns, by making them public…”

Behind the scenes

This scoop was very, very closely held within the NYT — just like the paper’s 2018 Trump tax expose was. I’m told that the reporters on the story have been working “around the clock” ever since they obtained the trove of tax-return data. Sunday’s article was described as an “overview” with this note: “Additional articles will be published in the coming weeks.” That’s what Times reporters are saying in private as well: There’s more to come…

The NYT says it won’t publish the actual tax return documents

Quoting from executive editor Dean Baquet’s letter to readers: “We will continue our reporting and publish additional articles about our findings in the weeks ahead. We are not making the records themselves public because we do not want to jeopardize our sources, who have taken enormous personal risks to help inform the public.”

Baquet’s letter doubled as a defense of The Times against inevitable Trumpworld attacks: “Some will raise questions about publishing the president’s personal tax information. But the Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that the First Amendment allows the press to publish newsworthy information that was legally obtained by reporters even when those in power fight to keep it hidden. That powerful principle of the First Amendment applies here.”

Expect Fox’s coverage to look like this

Oliver Darcy emails: “Anytime there is a big story in the news that Fox News has to cover on its supposed ‘straight news’ programs, the network does so by leading with Trump’s denial. Sunday evening was no different. The headline on Fox’s website focused solely on Trump’s denial and bashing of NYT. Elsewhere in right-wing media, some homed in on the line from NYT’s story that said the documents it obtained do not ‘reveal any previously unreported connections to Russia.’ Expect these to be the angles the pro-Trump media takes in the next 24 hours…”

Meanwhile, the Drudge Report continues to zing Trump. The banner headline on Sunday evening read, “THE FAKE BILLIONAIRE?”

Trump flacks like Mark Levin are already claiming that the leak is the real scandal. Expect to hear lots more of that…

Notes and quotes

– One of the reasons why it matters: “The tax allegations go to the very heart of Trump’s appeal,” Jill Colvin noted… (AP)

– Another reason why it matters: If Trump “loses the election,” former prosecutor Michael Bromwich wrote, “he faces federal and state prosecution for bank fraud, tax fraud, wire fraud, and mail fraud, as does his entire family…” (Twitter)

– The NYT story says Trump has “more than $300 million in loans” coming due in the next four years. One of Monday’s biggest unanswered questions is, as Jim Sciutto put it, “to whom exactly does the Commander in Chief owe this money to?” (Twitter)

– Former NYTer Michael Luo, now at The New Yorker, tweeted: “Arguably, no other news org in the world could invest as much time/resources into Trump tax investigations as NYT has. Maybe Washington Post and ProPublica too? Three reporters; unlimited time. Support investigative journalism as a bulwark of democracy.”

– WaPo media reporter Paul Farhi: “The subtext of the NYT report is the crucial importance of ‘The Apprentice’ to Trump’s finances and ultimately his political career. No ‘Apprentice,’ no cash flow to prop up many loss-making businesses. No ‘Apprentice,’ no myth of Trump as a financial whiz to run on.” (Twitter)

– Michael Cohen is taking a victory lap… (Twitter)

– The Biden campaign is selling “I paid more income taxes than Donald Trump” stickers… (Twitter)

– Public opinion researcher Gary Langer, summarizing his latest poll for ABC/WaPo, found a “net total of 5% of likely voters who can be considered movable — a thin slice, albeit potentially enough to matter in some states…” (ABC)

What We’ve Learned About Trump From His Tax Returns

I’m not a tax preparer anymore. After seeing that my hard-working, middle class clients owed more money than ever to the IRS after Trump’s “tax cuts,” I just couldn’t do it anymore. I sold my business of thirty years to a local CPA firm and prepared to take my life in a completely different direction.

So of course, here I am, almost a year later, talking about taxes again. If you haven’t read The New York Times report on the Trump tax data they’ve obtained, you should.

In March of 2019 I tweeted a thread about what we could learn about Trump if he released his tax returns. Tax returns tell us things like how much the taxpayer earns, how much they pay in property tax, whether they had any large medical bills, and how charitable they are.

The New York Times only summarized the tax data they studied, so there are still many questions to be answered. It should be noted that, as in most things in TrumpWorld, there is a fine line between illegal and immoral or unethical. What the president’s tax returns show are huge losses used to offset income. The IRS is investigating whether a $72.9M refund that was claimed by and paid to Trump was legitimate. In the world of commercial real estate, there can be legitimate losses the are used to offset income in some years. The question is whether Trump’s losses were legitimate or manufactured for tax purposes.

I have had many conversations with clients about what constitutes deductible business expenses instead of non-deductible personal expenses. I once had a client insist that his dog’s food and vet bills were deductible business expenses because the dog protected his home office. (Since I have three big dogs, I would love for that to be true, but it’s not).

Trump seems to take that kind of logic to the extreme. Performers can deduct personal care expenses if their job requires them to look a certain way that is different than they would normally appear. It’s the same logic that says uniforms are tax deductible, but if you wear normal jeans and a shirt to work, that is not a deductible expense. It is hard to imagine anyone having $70,000 in hair stylist expenses that only relate to their job.

The president has also taken deductions for items most people would consider personal expenses like costs related to his residences, including property taxes. The property tax deductions are especially significant because the 2017 tax bill limited the amount that taxpayers could deduct for all state tax expenses to $10,000. This meant that most homeowners in highly taxed states like California or New York weren’t able to deduct any property tax expenses.

Another interesting revelation is that Trump has written off consulting fees of almost $26 million. His daughter Ivanka, who was a salaried employee of the Trump Organization, appears to have received at least some of these fees. In theory, the consultant reports those payments as income on their annual income tax returns. Unless we see Ivanka’s tax returns, we won’t be able to tell if she reported these payments correctly.

When I’m reviewing a candidate’s tax return, I always look at their charitable donations. Knowing how much a candidate donates to charity gives me an indication of their values and how much concern they have for others. What The New York Times story shows is that when a community neighboring a large estate Trump owned wouldn’t let him develop it into a golf course and private homes, the president signed a a deal with a land conservancy in which he agreed not to develop most of the property. This allowed him to claim a charitable tax deduction. Trump’s tax records show that he has used this strategy to claim charitable tax deductions for not developing property he owns four times over the years. It is apparent that the president considers charitable donations only in terms of how they can help him in some way. A different but comparable circumstance is the way that he lied about the pandemic, because telling the truth could be harmful to his run for reelection. Are these really the values we want in a president?

Hopefully the New York Times will release the tax return data they used to write these articles soon. It’s important information that should be available to every voter. Until they do, I’m going to return to not being a tax preparer.

3 Likes

It is easy to see how T would be compromised which could be targeted by foreign countries. It is unlimited.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-09-28/trump-s-tax-returns-show-he-s-a-national-security-threat

What trade-offs would a president with this level of indebtedness be willing to make to save face?

Step away from the tragicomic tawdriness and grift that the tax returns define, however, and focus on what they reveal about Trump as the most powerful man in the world and occupant of the Oval Office.

Due to his indebtedness, his reliance on income from overseas and his refusal to authentically distance himself from his hodgepodge of business, Trump represents a profound national security threat – a threat that will only escalate if he’s re-elected. The tax returns also show the extent to which Trump has repeatedly betrayed the interests of many of the average Americans who elected him and remain his most loyal supporters.

According to the Times, Trump has about $421 million in debts which he has personally guaranteed and which are coming due over the next several years. This is consistent with earlier reporting about how much debt he carries, a chunk of which could be gleaned from the personal financial disclosures he is required to file with the federal government. But Trump’s overall indebtedness is greater than the Times tally, I believe.

Russ Choma reported in Mother Jones last summer that Trump’s debts were nearly $500 million and would come due in relatively short order, pressuring the president’s finances. But Trump’s debts are even bigger than that, and he’s worked hard to keep them hidden for decades. Dan Alexander, a senior editor at Forbes, has been covering Trump’s business interests since 2016 and has a new book out about the president’s financial conflicts of interest, “White House Inc.” Alexander, in a helpful tally he shared Sunday evening, estimates Trump’s total indebtedness to be about $1.1 billion. Now that’s more like it.

Trump has been bloviating about being worth $10 billion ever since he entered the 2016 presidential race, a figure that simply isn’t true. He’s worth a fraction of that amount, and the larger his indebtedness becomes, the more strain it puts on his assets. The Covid-19 pandemic has taken a particularly brutal toll on the sectors in which the Trump Organization operates — real estate, travel and leisure. If Trump is unable to meet his debt payments, he’s either going to have to sell assets or get bailed out by a friend with funds. Trump has never liked to sell anything, even when it’s hemorrhaging money. So if he’s tempted to save himself by getting a handout, that makes him a mark.

If Trump was still just a reality TV oddity, that wouldn’t be earthshaking. But he’s president, and the trade-offs someone like him would be willing to make to save his face and his wallet taint every public policy decision he makes – including issues around national security. If Vladimir Putin, for example, can backchannel a loan or a handout to the president, how hard is Trump going to be on Russia? Not that we should worry about Trump’s relationship with Putin. That’s just a hypothetical question.

3 Likes

I am wary of the source here:

Ex-White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman tells Michael Cohen’s podcast she has secret tapes of Lara Trump ‘badmouthing Donald, Melania and Ivanka Trump’

• Omarosa worked for the Trump Administration for 12 months until January 2018
  • She has repeatedly criticized Trump and his family since her departure
  • In August 2018, Omarosa released secret recordings of the President’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, offering her a $15,000 a month job
  • Omarosa now claims she has more explosive recordings of Lara
  • Omarosa alleges the tapes contain audio of Lara badmouthing the President and First Lady, as well as her sister-in-law Ivanka Trump
  • The former White House made the claims on a new podcast by Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former fixer
2 Likes

The President’s Taxes

How Reality-TV Fame Handed Trump a $427 Million Lifeline

Tax records show that “The Apprentice” rescued Donald J. Trump, bringing him new sources of cash and a myth that would propel him to the White House.

From the back seat of a stretch limousine heading to meet the first contestants for his new TV show “The Apprentice,” Donald J. Trump bragged that he was a billionaire who had overcome financial hardship.

“I used my brain, I used my negotiating skills and I worked it all out,” he told viewers. “Now, my company is bigger than it ever was and stronger than it ever was.”

It was all a hoax.

Months after that inaugural episode in January 2004, Mr. Trump filed his individual tax return reporting $89.9 million in net losses from his core businesses for the prior year. The red ink spilled from everywhere, even as American television audiences saw him as a savvy business mogul with the Midas touch.

Twelve years later, that image of the self-made, self-saved mogul, beamed into the national consciousness, would help fuel Mr. Trump’s improbable election to the White House.

But while the story of “The Apprentice” is by now well known, the president’s tax returns reveal another grand twist that has never been truly told — how the popularity of that fictional alter ego rescued him, providing a financial lifeline to reinvent himself yet again. And then how, in an echo of the boom-and-bust cycle that has defined his business career, he led himself toward the financial shoals he must navigate today.

Mr. Trump’s genius, it turned out, wasn’t running a company. It was making himself famous — Trump-scale famous — and monetizing that fame.

By analyzing the tax records, The New York Times was able to place a value on Mr. Trump’s celebrity. While the returns show that he earned some $197 million directly from “The Apprentice” over 16 years — roughly in line with what he has claimed — they also reveal that an additional $230 million flowed from the fame associated with it.

The show’s big ratings meant that everyone wanted a piece of the Trump brand, and he grabbed at the opportunity to rent it out. There was $500,000 to pitch Double Stuf Oreos, another half-million to sell Domino’s Pizza and $850,000 to push laundry detergent.

There were seven-figure licensing deals with hotel builders, some with murky backgrounds, in former Soviet republics and other developing countries. And there were schemes that exploited misplaced trust in the TV version of Mr. Trump, who, off camera, peddled worthless get-rich-quick nostrums like “Donald Trump Way to Wealth” seminars that promised initiation into “the secrets and strategies that have made Donald Trump a billionaire.”

Just as, years before, the money Mr. Trump secretly received from his father allowed him to assemble a wobbly collection of Atlantic City casinos and other disparate enterprises that then collapsed around him, the new influx of cash helped finance a buying spree that saw him snap up golf resorts, a business not known for easy profits. Indeed, the tax records show that his golf properties have been hemorrhaging millions of dollars for years.

In response to a request for comment, a White House spokesman, Judd Deere, did not dispute any specific facts. Instead, he delivered a broad attack, calling the article “fake news” and “yet another politically motivated hit piece full of inaccurate smears” appearing “before a presidential debate.”

Unlocking the mysteries of Mr. Trump’s wealth has been attempted many times with varying degrees of success — an exercise made difficult by the opaque nature of his businesses, his penchant for exaggerations and lies, and his willingness to threaten or sue those who question his rosy narratives. He has gone to extraordinary lengths to maintain secrecy, most notably his refusal to honor 40 years of presidential tradition and release his tax returns.

This article is based on an examination of data from those returns, which include personal and business tax filings for Mr. Trump and his companies spanning more than two decades. Every dollar is disclosed for the first time: $8,768,330 paid to him by ACN, a multilevel marketing company that was accused of taking advantage of vulnerable investors; $50,000 from the Lifetime channel for a “juicy nighttime soap” that never materialized; $5,026 in net income from a short-lived mortgage business; and $15,286,244 from licensing his name to a line of mattresses.

In addition, it draws on interviews and previously unreported material from other sources, including hundreds of internal documents from Bayrock Group, an influential early licensing partner whose ties to Russia would come back to haunt the president as questions swirled about his own dealings there.

Together, the new information provides the most authoritative look yet at a critical period in Mr. Trump’s business career that laid the foundation, and provided something of a preview, of his personality-based and fact-bending presidency.

A Second Chance

As trouble loomed in the new millennium, Mr. Trump found an opportunity that would change his life forever.

Divorced for the second time, and coming off the failure of his Atlantic City casinos, Mr. Trump faced escalating money problems and the prospect of another trip to bankruptcy court. On his income tax returns, he reported annual net losses throughout the 1990s, some of it carried forward year to year, a tide that would swell to $352.8 million at the end of 2002.

Few people knew this, however, because he kept up the relentless self-promotion that had served him well: a half-serious 2000 presidential campaign that lasted four months but got him on Jay Leno; a TV ad touting McDonald’s new $1 “Big N’ Tasty” burger; another ghostwritten book.

But if Mr. Trump was still living off his residual fame, his biggest splashes were behind him. Something had to change. And as fate would have it, Mr. Trump got a boost from an unexpected source, one that would do much to shape his future, if not that of the country itself.

Mark Burnett, a British television producer best known for the hit series “Survivor,” approached him with an idea for a different reality show, this one based in a boardroom. In Mr. Burnett’s vision, a cast of wannabe entrepreneurs would come to New York and compete for the approval of the Donald, with the winner to work on a Trump project. Mr. Trump eagerly agreed to host “The Apprentice” and went on to ham it up as the billionaire kingmaker, yelling “You’re fired” each week until one contestant was left.

Some of Mr. Burnett’s staff members wondered how a wealthy businessman supposedly running a real estate empire could spare the time, but they soon discovered that not everything in Mr. Trump’s world was as it appeared.

“We walked through the offices and saw chipped furniture,” Bill Pruitt, one of the producers, told The New Yorker in 2018. “We saw a crumbling empire at every turn. Our job was to make it seem otherwise.”

Mr. Burnett wasted no time spinning the illusion of a successful and high-minded Mr. Trump, telling The Times in October 2003 that the new show was all about “Donald Trump giving back” by educating the public on how his can-do spirit had provided jobs and economic security.

“What makes the world a safe place right now?” Mr. Burnett said. “I think it’s American dollars, which come from taxes, which come because of Donald Trump.”

Selling the Image

A surge in popularity brought Mr. Trump’s reality-TV persona to ring tones, hamburgers, even laundry detergent.

Mr. Trump himself had not owed federal income taxes in years, thanks to the regular large business losses that smothered whatever income he had.

But the ratings success of “The Apprentice,” and the advertising dollars it generated, quickly pushed him into the unfamiliar position of declaring positive adjusted gross income on his I.R.S. Form 1040. After netting $11.9 million from the show in its first year, he really hit the jackpot in 2005 with $47.8 million, the tax records show. He made so much that over three years he paid a total of $70. 1 million in income taxes (later refunded, with interest, via an aggressive accounting maneuver now under audit).

The windfall, which continued — though in ever-dwindling amounts — until Mr. Trump became president, reflected an unusual arrangement that entitled him, as the show’s star, to half its profits. That included money from product placements on each episode that sometimes numbered more than 100 a month, with household names like Pepsi paying millions of dollars split between Mr. Burnett and Mr. Trump.

When they conceived the idea in 2002, however, the show’s success was far from certain. If nothing else, as Mr. Trump told an NBC executive at the time, it would allow him to market his other endeavors: “Even if it doesn’t get ratings, it’s still going to be great for my brand.”

Those benefits began flowing almost immediately. As early as July 2004, internal marketing plans for various Trump projects called for “exposure through casting on ‘The Apprentice,’” and by 2006, his New York hotel, Trump SoHo, was featured as the winning contestant’s project.

Product endorsements and speaking engagements rolled in as never before.

In the two years preceding the debut of “The Apprentice,” Mr. Trump’s side income was mostly confined to $500,000 for appearing in the Big N’ Tasty burger ad and a small amount of book royalties. But over the next two years, his tax records show, he collected $5.2 million from 11 different ad campaigns and speaking gigs, all propelled by his growing popularity as a reality-TV businessman.

Mr. Trump was not terribly discriminating in his choice of endorsements. He slapped his name on everything from steaks and vodka to a board game and cologne. For the benefit of “consumers interested in experiencing the Trump lifestyle at an affordable price,” as a news release put it, he signed a licensing deal with the Serta mattress company that eventually netted him more than $15 million. Another $15 million would pour in from Trump neckties, shirts and underwear by clothiers like Phillips-Van Heusen.

No endorsement was too small. Warner Music paid $100,000 to feature Mr. Trump in a collection of cellphone ringtones, with the Donald uttering phrases like, “You’re getting a phone call, and believe me, it better be important. I have no time for small talk, and neither do you.”

Unilever, which was looking to promote a new version of its All brand laundry detergent, concocted an entire multiplatform marketing campaign around Mr. Trump. In addition to $850,000 the company paid him directly, tax records reveal, he earned $250,000 more from a public-relations firm Unilever hired to help run an ad campaign coined “Softness fit for a Trump.”

Unilever staged a publicity stunt outside Trump Tower in Manhattan, where Mr. Trump hoisted a laundry basket with an ad for “All Cleans & Softens” stuck to the front. He had taken a break from the rigors of “The Apprentice” to wash donated clothes for charity, Unilever claimed.

As part of his agreement, Mr. Trump cold-called journalists to talk up All detergent, telling a Boston Globe reporter, “Unilever is a great company” and “This is a product my mother used.” He also recorded voice-overs for an online game that was part of an All sweepstakes, in which a tiny digital version of Mr. Trump did laundry and squawked one-liners like, “The Donald can do the work of 40 dry cleaners!”

The sweepstakes winner was Tracy Wright, a young mother from Brazil, Ind., who had bought her jug of detergent from a local Walmart. She got an all-expenses-paid trip to New York, where she had her picture taken with Mr. Trump.

“We met him the day after ‘The Apprentice’ season finale, so he was incredibly friendly,” she told her local newspaper. “He was in a great mood.”

Business Wisdom, at a Price

Around the world, the self-made-billionaire myth became a product to lure those in need of money.

With his penchant for using what he called “truthful hyperbole” to play on people’s desires, Mr. Trump had always skated close to the edge of fraud. Soon, he would be accused of crossing the line completely.

In his zeal to squeeze ever more dollars out of Mr. Burnett’s golden goose, Mr. Trump signed on to an array of questionable products and services, including some that claimed to sell insights into his business expertise. The first year of “The Apprentice” was barely over when Mr. Trump pocketed $300,000 to speak at an event in Dayton, Ohio, where attendees paid $2,995 to learn the secrets of instant wealth from a company that was later accused in a lawsuit of running a Ponzi scheme.

In his monologues, he made a virtue of his first round of casino failures, portraying himself as a victim whose grit and intelligence saved the day. People ate it up.

“His presence gives me reassurance,” Lillie Moss, who raided her retirement fund to buy an investment kit at the Dayton event, said of Mr. Trump.

The tax records show that another series of speaking engagements, sponsored by the Learning Annex, paid Mr. Trump $7.3 million for events with titles like “Real Estate Wealth Expo: One Weekend Can Make You a Millionaire.” A book he co-wrote with the Annex’s founder, “Think Big and Kick Ass: In Business and Life,” earned him royalties of $1.4 million.

Unmentioned in the mythologizing were the millions in bailout money from his father or the losses he was reporting to the I.R.S. Nor was there any sense of the gigantic payday — revealed only through an examination of the tax data — that Mr. Trump was enjoying in exchange for lending his imprimatur to an increasingly cynical array of business ventures.

As the years went on, and the success of “The Apprentice” made Mr. Trump a household name far beyond New York, the chasm between truth and hyperbole widened. It was one thing to bray about his late mother — a multimillionaire with a maid and a Rolls-Royce — using All laundry detergent. Now, he was flogging things that could hurt people economically.

In what would be his most lucrative side deal, he teamed up with a multilevel marketing company, ACN, whose clients were told they could make a living from home by selling video phones, satellite television and other services. Investigated in several countries, ACN has left a trail of complaints that people were suckered into spending far more than they earned trying to peddle the company’s products.

Regulators in France concluded that “only 1 percent of people recruited could claim a satisfactory income,” and that the rest lost money or, at most, made about $35 a month, according to court records. Montana officials came to a similar conclusion, finding that the average participant in that state paid ACN about $750 in various fees but got back only $53.

ACN, which has never admitted wrongdoing while settling legal actions by state regulators, claims its business model is misunderstood; on its website, it once posted a page helpfully titled “The Difference in ACN and a Pyramid Scheme.” A class-action lawsuit pending against Mr. Trump and his family asserts that the Trump brand became central to ACN’s business strategy, citing one plaintiff who signed up after she “watched clips of ACN appearing on ‘Celebrity Apprentice.’”

ACN sold DVDs of Mr. Trump promoting its products, and devoted part of its website to its “Trump partnership,” featuring photos of him appearing at ACN events and his glowing testimonial: “ACN has a reputation for success. Success that’s really synonymous with the Trump name and other successful names, and you can be part of it.”

By the time Mr. Trump featured ACN’s video phone on “The Apprentice” in 2011, the technology was close to obsolete, and yet he played it up, saying, “I think the ACN video phone is amazing.”

His tax returns reveal just how much the company was paying him for the happy talk: $8.8 million over 10 years, including $1 million in 2009 — the nadir of the Great Recession, when desperate people were drawn to promises of a fast payday. In fact, Mr. Trump actively capitalized on the economic anxiety.

In a separate deal he struck that same year, this one to promote the multilevel marketing of vitamins by a company that was rebranded the Trump Network, he gave speeches that persuaded some people to spend almost $500 for a starter kit and try to recruit friends and relatives. Mr. Trump said in a video that people “need a new dream.”

“The Trump Network wants to give millions of people renewed hope, and with an exciting plan to opt out of the recession,” he said.

Within a couple of years, the company behind the Trump Network, Ideal Health, was sold, and its owners declared bankruptcy. Still, it was long enough for Mr. Trump to make $2.6 million selling hope in a vitamin bottle, according to his tax records.

In 2016, he agreed to pay $25 million to settle litigation over Trump University, an unaccredited seminar that persuaded people to pay as much as $35,000 to learn the real estate trade. But that legal reckoning was the exception in a decade-long run by Mr. Trump and his company, described in the class-action suit, filed in 2018, as a “large and complex enterprise with a singular goal: to enrich themselves by systematically defrauding economically marginalized people looking to invest in their educations, start their own small businesses and pursue the American Dream.”

Low Risk, High Yield

Mr. Trump lent his name to buildings he didn’t own, collecting big fees as his investors lost millions.

In his sales pitches, Mr. Trump frequently boasted that he “owned buildings all over” Manhattan. Actually, although at one point “Trump” was emblazoned on at least 17 buildings, Mr. Trump owns all or a portion of only a half-dozen. Many of the others he had developed decades earlier and then sold, before his casino bankruptcies made credit harder to come by.

With the prospect of building suddenly less viable, Mr. Trump explored licensing his name to other developers’ projects. The idea gained traction after an obscure developer, Bayrock Group, started leasing office space on the 24th floor of Trump Tower, directly below Mr. Trump’s headquarters. At about $400,000 a year, and a total of $2.2 million by the time the lease ended, according to the tax records, it proved a good investment for Bayrock, which used its proximity to pitch project ideas to Mr. Trump.

Bayrock was a bit of a mystery. Its founder, Tevfik Arif, was a former Soviet-era official from Kazakhstan whose 2003 financial statement, showing $70 million in assets, had a caveat saying his own accountant could not vouch for it. Mr. Arif’s right hand was Felix Sater, a Russian émigré with ties to mobsters, who sometimes went by another name to obscure his criminal past.

Still, it was all good enough for Mr. Trump, who signed on to pursue an exciting concept: condo-hotels, in which buyers of units could rent them out when not using them. Even better, Bayrock mostly just wanted his name; the construction money would come from somewhere else.

Bayrock proposed to bring the Trump brand to hotels around the country and overseas, where Mr. Trump’s flamboyant taste for gold and glitz played well among wealthy foreigners with a caricatured notion of American success.

Years later, in a lawsuit deposition, Mr. Trump said that he discussed “numerous deals all over the world” with his new partners, and that “this was going to be Trump International Hotel and Tower Moscow, Kyiv, Istanbul, etc., Poland, Warsaw.”

At the same time, Mr. Trump asserted that because he was not actually the developer, he knew very little about what Bayrock was doing just two floors below his office. But internal Bayrock documents reviewed by The Times show that the company, right from the start, went looking for financing from Russia to pay for its Trump-branded hotels.

A draft plan from November 2003 titled “Russian fee agreement” called for an unnamed broker to provide $50 million for three Trump hotels in the United States and potentially “raise capital for all” of Bayrock’s Trump projects. A former Bayrock executive said the proposal never panned out, although the company later received $50 million from an Icelandic bank suspected of having Russian ties.

Ultimately, despite multiple attempts, the Trump-Bayrock partnership would find success only with the Trump SoHo condo-hotel in Manhattan. But it was a milestone in the evolution of Mr. Trump’s business model during the “Apprentice” era, showing that he could find easy profits from licensing his name not only to neckties and bedding but to entire buildings — and use the TV show to market them.

Unlike his Chicago tower, where he became embroiled in lawsuits over hundreds of millions of dollars in construction loans, Mr. Trump’s SoHo hotel was essentially risk-free for him. His tax records show that, between licensing and management fees, Trump companies involved in the project ultimately netted as much as $9 million, even though they did not build or finance it.

Awash in new licensing offers while riding the “Apprentice” wave, Mr. Trump in 2007 inaugurated the Trump Hotel Collection, with an emphasis on foreign projects. It was largely aspirational: A new website listed “future properties” in Toronto, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Panama, Scotland and Dubai, among other locations.

But the fees were already pouring in. Mr. Trump’s profits from licensing deals, which in 2003 barely registered, climbed to $1.3 million two years later and then skyrocketed, hitting $29.7 million in 2010 before steadily declining, according to his tax records.

Because of how the licensing agreements were drafted, with sizable fees up front, Mr. Trump stood to gain even if a project failed. Of the 10 “future properties” initially listed on the hotel collection’s website, three never got off the ground, and five others either were not completed or later severed ties with Mr. Trump. Yet he still managed to collect a total of $46 million from them.

Questions have repeatedly been raised about Mr. Trump’s choice of projects, which often fell apart amid allegations and disputes.

In Rio de Janeiro, where his tax records show he deducted $14,000 for the cost of a background investigation when signing onto a hotel deal, Mr. Trump was later forced to pull out amid a bribery investigation into the developer. In Azerbaijan, where there is a history of corruption, developers with ties to a cabinet minister paid Mr. Trump $5 million to brand and manage a hotel that was never completed after a major backer dropped out of sight.

And buyers of units in a planned Trump condo-hotel in Mexico were burned after putting up some $32 million in deposits, only to see the project canceled with no refunds. In a lawsuit that was eventually settled, some of the buyers claimed they had been duped into believing Mr. Trump was an active participant in the project.

“In doing so,” the lawsuit said, “defendants induced buyers to rely on the ‘Trump brand’ and the Trump name as a legitimate, dependable, luxury real estate developer.”

In what became a recurring theme, Mr. Trump’s defense was that he had merely licensed his name, and therefore had no responsibility for the project’s collapse. As he explained in a deposition for another lawsuit, this one by investors in a failed Trump hotel in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., “the developer is really the one that is responsible.”

“We’re like a hotel company, Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria,” Mr. Trump said. “We are a name.”

A Spending Spree

Flush with new cash, Mr. Trump bought luxurious golf courses that would fall deep into the red.

While Mr. Trump’s tax returns tell the story of how reality TV and its reflected glow made him rich, they also shed some light on an enduring question that has generated much head-scratching, if not dark speculation: Where did he get hundreds of millions of dollars to buy and prop up his golf resorts?

Mr. Trump had only two open golf courses and two more undergoing renovations at the time of his plunge into television, but golf — a pastime that he “spent an inordinate amount of time on,” his niece, Mary Trump, wrote in her recent family tell-all — always seemed destined to become his next financial sand trap.

“I have the best buildings in Manhattan. I have the best casinos in New Jersey. I build a great product,” Mr. Trump boasted to a reporter in 2002. “I actually have more fun building courses than I do playing.”

Beginning in 2006, and continuing over the next decade, he would accumulate 11 more golf courses, forming a new core of what he describes as his empire.

The amount of capital Mr. Trump has spent on his golf properties is staggering and has echoes of his earlier, ultimately disastrous, embrace of casinos. During a three-year period starting in 2014, he pumped $144.5 million into his Turnberry golf course in Scotland, his tax returns show, even as the property has continued booking losses year after year. He has put $213 million into his Doral resort in Florida, with similar results.

Meanwhile, Mr. Trump’s main source of income — “The Apprentice” and licensing deals — went into a steep decline starting in 2011, falling, along with the show’s ratings, from $51 million that year to $21 million by 2014, and eventually to less than $3 million in 2018.

Which is where those unsubstantiated theories of secret payments from Russia or the mob come in.

His tax records provide more mundane answers. They reveal that as he was pouring money into the golf resorts, he also pulled money out of other places in ways that suggested an immediate need. In 2012, he borrowed $100 million against his equity in Trump Tower in Manhattan, one of his more valuable properties. A year later, he withdrew $95.8 million from his share of a real estate partnership that owns buildings in New York and California. And in 2014, he sold $98 million in stocks and bonds.

These one-time maneuvers, coupled with the more than $427 million from “The Apprentice” and licensing deals, would probably have provided enough cash to cover his golf course investments. But they cannot be repeated, and in at least one case — the Trump Tower mortgage — they need to be paid back.

In addition, he has huge balances on loans, soon to come due, from Deutsche Bank, including $160 million on his Washington hotel in the Old Post Office building and $148 million on the Doral golf resort. Neither of those businesses is turning a profit.

In a series of tweets on Monday morning, a day after The Times published the first part of its investigation of his tax-return data, Mr. Trump sought to refute any negative impression of his wealth, insisting that he has “very little debt compared to the value of assets,” and suggesting that he might release statements “showing all properties, assets and debts.” It is unclear what sort of statements he was referring to; the public financial disclosures he must file as president already list his assets and debts.

As the president enters the final weeks of his re-election campaign trailing in virtually all the polls, he is a man politically and financially challenged.

Many of the old financial escape hatches have closed. After he announced his candidacy in 2015 with racist comments about Mexicans, NBC, which carried “The Apprentice,” cut ties with him and he sold his interest in the Miss Universe pageant, another reliable moneymaker. Hotel licensing deals have mostly dried up.

Last month, as he prepared for a Republican convention that would market him as America’s savior in this dark and disordered hour, Mr. Trump turned to two entertainment industry veterans with experience generating the kind of razzle-dazzle that had worked so well in the past.

Both had helped produce “The Apprentice.”

4 Likes

Top House Republican calls for probe of source of NYT Trump tax documents

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas) called on Monday for a probe into the sources of The New York Times story that detailed two decades worth of President Trump’s tax records and financial dealings.

Brady, the head Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee, released a statement on the Times report that was published Sunday, saying a “felony crime was committed” by giving Trump’s tax information to the newspaper.

"While many critics question the article’s accuracy, equally troubling is the prospect that a felony crime was committed by releasing the private tax return information of an individual - in this case the President’s,” he said.

“To ensure every American is protected against the illegal release of their tax returns for political reasons, I am calling for an investigation of the source and to prosecute if the law was broken,” he added.

The bombshell Times report detailed that Trump paid a total of $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017. The cited documents also revealed that Trump leveraged his losses to pay no federal income taxes in 10 of 15 years.

The report also said Trump is confronting significant losses and has several large loan deadlines approaching in the next few years, including a $100 million loan due in 2022.

The documents were obtained by sources who had legal access to it, the newspaper noted in its report. Prior to publishing, a lawyer for the Trump Organization asked the newspaper to see the documents but the publication declined in order to protect its sources.

Trump and the White House both countered the report, with the president giving several defenses, although none have addressed its core findings. The president first reacted to the report, calling it “fake news” during a press conference on Sunday.

He later tweeted Monday morning that the Times “illegally obtained” the information with “bad intent” and said he “was entitled, like everyone else, to depreciation & tax credits.”

The Times report was released two days ahead of the first presidential debate between Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden. Biden’s campaign leaped on the report releasing a campaign ad Monday criticizing the president for paying $750 in federal income taxes.

The president has declined to release his tax returns throughout his campaigns and presidency, breaking from tradition of previous modern presidents.

Trump has pointed to an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) audit as reason for not releasing the returns. Congressional Democratic lawmakers and state prosecutors have attempted to obtain them. Experts have said the IRS audit would not prevent Trump from releasing the documents.

2 Likes

Here’s where T’s audit of his tax returns takes place, and how he got that $73 Mil tax refund which is offered back as a ‘quickie refund,’ and then reviewed.

The details published about Donald Trump’s tax returns were a revelation to the public but not to a small group of attorneys who work for a little-known congressional panel. Trump has been in the middle of a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service over a 2010 claim of a $72.9 million tax refund, according to the New York Times, which obtained more than 20 years of the president’s tax data. The size of the refund claim brought it before the Joint Committee on Taxation. Whenever there is a proposed refund of more than $2 million for individuals and $5 million for corporations proposed, the committee staff reviews it before payment by the IRS. Part of the rationale for such reviews is to make sure tax laws are working the way Congress intended.

In Trump’s case, the IRS initially sent an audit of the refund to the joint committee in 2011 and an agreement was reached in 2014. But an expanding audit meant that the IRS resubmitted the refund documentation for review in 2016, where it has sat unresolved since then, the Times reported. Trump received what tax professionals refer to as a “quickie refund,” a check processed in 90 days on a tentative basis, pending an audit by the IRS, the Times reported. The committee staff reviewed between 470 and 370 proposed refunds per year from 2015 to 2018, according to a congressional aide.

The committee staff reviewed between 470 and 370 proposed refunds per year from 2015 to 2018, according to a congressional aide.

Most of the proposed refunds involved net operating loss carry-back provisions, in which a business uses losses in one year to offset profits in another, sometimes resulting in refunds of “hundreds of millions of dollars,” said Kenneth Kies, who was chief of staff for the panel from 1994 to 1998.

4 Likes

More Grift revealed today:

Last week, I went to Donald J Trump state park, a park few people know exists, because it’s not really a park. In fact, it’s two tracts of muddy, overgrown land between New York’s Putnam and Westchester counties that Trump purchased in 1998 for a total of [$2.75m](How a Failed Trump Golf Course Became a Dilapidated State Park | Time), hoping to build a golf course. Neighborhood officials halted the plan, citing environmental concerns, and the land was abandoned. In an alternate timeline, the story would just end here.

But we’re living in Trump’s universe. In 2006, the reality TV mogul donated the undeveloped land to New York state, claiming it was worth $100m – an amount that, if claimed as a qualified conservation contribution, could have saved him a fortune in income tax, potentially carried forward for years. (Confusingly, Trump’s 2016 campaign valued the land at [$26.1m](https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-portrait-of-trump-the-donor-free-rounds-of-golf-but-no-personal-cash/2016/04/10/373b9b92-fb40-11e5-9140-e61d062438bb_story.html) in his public list of charitable contributions.)

my bold

4 Likes

4 things to know about Trump and ‘The Apprentice,’ according to the New York Times

We Finally Know Just How Big a Fraud Trump Is

We always sort of knew, but now we really know, you know?

Yes, Donald Trump Is Still A Billionaire. That Makes His $750 Tax Payment Even More Scandalous

Tax Returns Show Trump Looting Treasury to Stave Off His Own Financial Disaster

‘I don’t want to pay tax’: Trump grilled over bombshell tax returns report in presidential debate

‘I don’t want to pay taxes,’ Trump says while disputing NYT report in debate with Biden

Trump Denies NYT Report With Claim He Paid Millions in Taxes

He was confronted during the debate with the report that he paid only $750 in federal taxes in 2016 and 2017 and none in 10 of the previous 15 years.

‘It’s not fair’: workers outraged that Donald Trump pays less tax than them

President paid almost no federal income tax in 15 years in contrast to hefty contributions from those striving to make ends meet

2 Likes

Former Neo-Nazi Speaks Out On Trump’s “Stand Back, Stand By” Comment With A Chilling Warning: This Was A “Clear-Cut Call To A Violent White Supremacist Group That They Must Stay Vigilant”

Last night, we all watched on in horror as Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, stood on stage in front of the entire nation, broadcasted on national TV, and absolutely refused to outright condemn white nationalist groups in the United States.

Not only did Trump refuse to issue a clear and concise condemnation, he actually appeared to call on these white supremacy groups to be ready to fight for him.

On stage, during last night’s first round of presidential debates, after prodding from both the moderator and his opponent to condemn these groups, Trump said this:

Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I’ll tell you what. I’ll tell you what. Somebody’s got to do something about antifa and the left, because this is not a right-wing problem.”

But folks, it gets scarier.

Democracy Now’s Amy Goodman sat down for an interview with former neo-Nazi who now leads the Free Radicals Project, a group with the goal of helping people disengage from violent extremism, Christian Picciolini, to discuss Trump’s apparent call on the Proud Boys last night. And the warning he uttered will chill you to the bone.

“Well, Amy, it’s very crystal clear to me what President Trump was calling for last night, and it’s, I think, crystal clear to the Proud Boys what he was asking for. And that was for continued pressure, continued violence against what he is calling the threat of the left,” Picciolini stated at the beginning of the interview. “So, he was completely wrong. But it was a clear-cut call to a violent white supremacist group that they must stay vigilant. If I were a Proud Boy, which essentially is version 2.0 of a neo-Nazi skinhead, I would see that as a call to arms, specifically against anti-fascist groups and protesters like Antifa and Black Lives Matter.”

The interview goes on to take a deep dive into the meaning behind Trump’s statement from an actual former neo-Nazi as well as commentary from Temple University professor Marc Lamont Hill who stated clearly of Trump’s debate performance, “He wants violence in the streets, he wants chaos at the polls because he wants Americans to feel a sense of unsafety. It’s its own kind of diplomatic terrorism.”

Now is the time to worry.

You can read the full interview here.

3 Likes

We have come full circle. Trump now states he does not know who the Proud Boys are.

Video:

A former DHS insider sheds a darker light on Trump’s vile ‘Proud Boys’ comment

3 Likes

The first masks arrived on the White House grounds in February by special order of the National Security Council, mobilizing early on to address the emerging threat of the coming coronavirus. Job One in their emergency response was to take personal precautions, preparing for the critical work at hand, multiple officials tell CNN.

But word that some NSC staffers were being told to wear masks quickly made its way back to the West Wing and it wasn’t long before a sharp dictum came down.

"If you have the whole West Wing running around wearing masks, it wasn’t a good look," one administration official recalled of the directive that came down from senior staff and lawyers.

The West Wing wanted to “portray confidence and make the public believe there was absolutely nothing to worry about,” the official said, revealing the image-conscious reason for the opposition to masks for the first time.

3 Likes

Watching what they are saying, and particularly from Republican speechwriter Peggy Noonan, who delivers harsh criticism for Trump and points to the fact he’s been losing in the past. She condemns him for not saying there will be a peaceful transition of power or denounce white supremacy.

She lands some blows on Biden too…

But at least she tells it like it is…

Where does all this stand, days after the debate and a month before the election? All summer, wise people were saying Joe Biden’s ahead but Donald Trump’s in the game, can’t write him off, a lot of issues (rising crime, economic fear, a poor Democratic convention) are going in his favor, this thing is dynamic.

But things are congealing now, taking on their final shape, and isn’t it kind of obvious, especially after the debate, what’s happening?

The polls have had Mr. Biden leading for the past 12 months, almost impervious to events. FiveThirtyEight.com’s national polling average this week has Mr. Biden up by 7.9 points, Real Clear Politics by 7.2. There are other, smaller things, dots in the emerging picture. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, the former wrestling star and popular movie star who himself has been spoken of as a possible GOP contender and whose fan base can be assumed to be pro-Trump, this week made his first presidential endorsement and came out for Joe Biden. Former generals who’ve never publicly endorsed anyone—such as Stanley McChrystal, former commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and Chuck Boyd, for seven years a prisoner of war in Vietnamhave come out for Mr. Biden. All these endorsements look targeted to giving American men permission to go for the guy who may look weak but in the end is the stronger choice. As for what in more innocent times was called the woman’s vote, this column thinks what it thought in June: They’ll crawl over broken husbands to vote him out.

I believe in the phenomenon of shy Trump voters, people who fear, rightly, that they’ll be looked down on if they say they’re for him, their social or professional standing damaged. But if the polls are roughly right there wouldn’t be nearly enough to make a difference.

The horse race is fun, and good for ratings. Mr. Biden has always been a poor national candidate. And Mr. Trump has some dark magic, some voodoo no one understands, he’ll pull something out of the hat. But he’s not magic, it’s not voodoo; he’s a clever man who capitalized four years ago on a perfect historical storm. Joe Biden is winning. And there’s no particular reason to think it will be close.

What did the debate do to this picture?

The president depressed everybody, even his own supporters, by acting like a bullying nut. He left people anguished about the future of the country. By the time it was over people were thinking, deep down: The incumbent is an incompetent who’s out of his mind, and the challenger is a befuddled man who struggles to carry a public thought to its conclusion, and who can’t tell you what he’ll do in part because he doesn’t want to and in part because he doesn’t really know.

After the debate I spent a long night and a full day talking to Trump foes and supporters and foes, and all I heard was an outpouring of sadness.

Mr. Trump has come in for most of the critical scorn—fair enough!—but Biden deserves plenty also. He could string sentences together, but they weren’t very good sentences. He wasn’t always coherent: “The 20—the 200 mil—the 200,000 people that have died on his watch, how many of those have survived?” He insisted Roe v. Wade “is on the ballot in the court.” He attacked Mr. Trump for coronavirus lockdowns: “This is his economy he shut down”—but when asked why he is more reluctant to reopen it he didn’t really have an answer.

Chris Wallace: “Are you willing to tell the American people tonight whether or not you will support either ending the filibuster or packing the court?” Mr. Biden seemed in his answer to be repeating the advice of his debate coach: “Whatever position I take on that, that’ll become the issue. . . . You should go out and vote. . . . Vote and let your senators know strongly how you feel.”

Mr. Trump: “Are you going to pack the court?”

Mr. Biden: “Vote now.”

Mr. Trump: “Are you going to pack the court?”

Mr. Biden: “Make sure you, in fact, let people know, your senators.”

Trump: “He doesn’t want to answer the question.”

Biden: “I’m not going to answer the question.”

But it couldn’t be more important as a question. Every American has the right to know his plans here, and Mr. Biden has the responsibility to provide them.

Mr. Wallace asked Mr. Biden what “reimagining policing” means. Biden said he’s not for defunding; police need “more assistance. They need when they show up for a 911 call to have someone with them as a psychologist or psychiatrist to keep them from having to use force and be able to talk people down.”

C’mon, man. An officer answering a midnight call with some doped up guy wielding a knife in a darkened doorway and a woman and kids sobbing inside the house—that cop would be happy to have a shrink to help, and also a priest and a rabbi and The Rock and a helpful hospital team with a straitjacket. In what world is tapped-out, freaked-out, unruly America going to get that?

Mr. Wallace asked if Mr. Biden had ever called the Democratic mayor of Portland or governor of Oregon and asked them to do whatever it takes to end the summer’s riots. Biden, weakly: “I don’t hold public office. . . . I’ve made it clear in my public statements that the violence should be prosecuted.”

He never asked them to “knock off a hundred days of riots?”

Mr. Biden: “They can in fact take care of it if he’d [Mr. Trump] just stay out of the way.”

The two most terrible moments. however, belonged to Mr. Trump. Condemning white supremacy is not only morally right, which is its own unarguable imperative; it is easy, a softball a competent demagogue could have hit out of the park. Americans disapprove of hate groups! They hate groups based on hating a race or religion or ethnicity. Such groups are un-American. It is scandal a president would not denounce them.

As terrible, and ominous, was at the end.

Mr. Wallace: “What are you prepared to do to reassure the American people that the next president will be the legitimate winner of this election?”

Mr. Trump: “As far as the ballots are concerned, it’s a disaster.” He spoke of mail-ballot fraud, “We might not know for months because these ballots are going to be all over.” “It’s a rigged election.” “This is not going to end well.” He said this twice.

Mr. Wallace: “Will you urge your supporters to stay calm during this extended period, not to engage in any civil unrest?”

Mr. Trump: “I am urging my people . . . if it’s a fair election, I am 100% on board. But if I see tens of thousands of ballots being manipulated, I can’t go along with that.”

He wouldn’t vow to do what any president in history would do, urge calm and discourage violence.

But Mr. Biden did. “The fact is, I will accept it. . . . And if it’s me, in fact, fine. If it’s not me, I’ll support the outcome.”

It was the most important thing said all night. Thank you, Mr. Vice President, for saying it. Shame on the president for not. What a loser.

1 Like

Stable genius becomes disease vector

Trump’s ego, coupled with his disgust for any kind of physical fragility — this is the man who sneered about wounded war veterans that “nobody wants to see that” — has been a major reason that the coronavirus pandemic spiraled out of control in this country.

From the very first hints that the virus was going to be a problem, Trump treated the situation the way he treats his faltering eyesight: as an embarrassing weakness to be hidden away, instead of a problem to be dealt with openly and honestly.

In fact, Trump clearly thinks the existence of the coronavirus is a personal insult directed at him, and has turned it into a personal loyalty test for his staff, his supporters and other Republican politicians to act like the pandemic is no big deal.

The results, of course, have been devastating. Because so many Republican governors gave into Trump’s wishes to “reopen” their states too quickly, the pandemic exploded across the country. Trump’s signaling that he found mask-wearing and social distancing personally offensive has made it worse, by encouraging Republican voters nationwide to shun basic public health measures to slow the virus. The results never fail to be stunning: Nearly 7.3 million infected as of Friday morning, and more than 208,000 dead.

4 Likes

I’ve been musing upon this over the past couple of days. But this tweet says it all:

5 Likes

You just can’t make this sort of shit up! Anyone with even an ounce of common sense would have decided that this latest stunt by T was completely off the chart of irresponsibility.

‘This is insanity’: Walter Reed physician among critics of Trump drive-by visit | US news | The Guardian

James Phillips, doctor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, who is an attending physician at Walter Reed, called the stunt “insanity”.

“Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential ‘drive-by’ just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die,” he wrote in a tweet.

“For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity.”

4 Likes

White House reassurances about Trump’s condition stir doubts instead

https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-trump-covid-photos-video-walter-reed-doubts-questions-154739237.html

In one photo, Trump is putting his signature on a sheet of paper, which on close observation appears to be blank.

While multiple photos were released showing Trump in different locations and with different clothes, the corresponding metadata shows they were taken 10 minutes apart, implying to some observers they were staged to create the impression of a full day of presidential business.

The White House also released a video of Trump discussing his improved health and his intention of getting back to work. At one point in the 4-minute video, Trump appears to have coughed but the moment was inexpertly edited out.

Every problem is handled as a PR problem, including the health of the President of the United States of America.

4 Likes

:eyes:

Visually depicting Trump’s four years of deceit

WaPo fact-checker Glenn Kessler shared this photo and story: “In Brooklyn this weekend, Radio Free Brooklyn erected a 50-foot-long mural featuring every claim listed in our database of Trump’s false or misleading claims, color-coded by subject.” The Brooklyn Eagle has background info about the project here… Brian Stelter’s newsletter

2 Likes

“Don Jr. Thinks Trump Is Acting Crazy”: The President’s COVID Joyride Has the Family Divided

The president’s recklessness at Walter Reed has Don Jr. pushing for an intervention, but Ivanka and Jared “keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source says.

Donald Trump ’s erratic and reckless behavior in the last 24 hours has opened a rift in the Trump family over how to rein in the out-of-control president, according to two Republicans briefed on the family conversations. Sources said Donald Trump Jr . is deeply upset by his father’s decision to drive around Walter Reed National Military Medical Center last night with members of the Secret Service while he was infected with COVID-19. “Don Jr. thinks Trump is acting crazy,” one of the sources told me. The stunt outraged medical experts, including an attending physician at Walter Reed.

According to sources, Don Jr. has told friends that he tried lobbying Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump , and Jared Kushner to convince the president that he needs to stop acting unstable. “Don Jr. has said he wants to stage an intervention, but Jared and Ivanka keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source said. Don Jr. is said to be reluctant to confront his father alone. “Don said, ‘I’m not going to be the only one to tell him he’s acting crazy,’” the source added.

One area where the family seems united is over the president’s manic tweeting early Monday morning. After Trump sent out more than a dozen all-caps tweets, the Trump children told people they want Trump to stop. “They’re all worried. They’ve tried to get him to stop tweeting,” a source close to the family told me.

The Trump family’s private concern about Trump’s behavior could raise questions about his fitness for office. Trump has been prescribed drugs that medical experts say can seriously impair his cognitive function. Last night the New York Times reported that steroids, which Trump is reportedly taking, specifically dexamethasone, are known to “affect mood, causing euphoria or a general happiness.”

There is a long history in the Trump family of denying serious illness. According to a Trump family friend, Trump’s father, Fred Trump Sr., insisted on working even after his Alzheimer’s disease advanced in the 1990s. “To retire is to expire!” Fred Sr. would say. The friend said that as Fred Sr.’s disease worsened––he once came down the stairs wearing three neckties––the family created a system so that Fred could think he was still running the Trump Organization. Every day Fred Sr. would go to the office in Brooklyn and they would give him blank papers to sort through and sign. The phone on Fred’s desk was set up so that it could only dial out to his secretary. “Fred pretended to work,” the family friend said.

The White House did not immediately respond for comment.

3 Likes