WTF Community

👑 Portrait of a President

More Grift revealed today:

Last week, I went to Donald J Trump state park, a park few people know exists, because it’s not really a park. In fact, it’s two tracts of muddy, overgrown land between New York’s Putnam and Westchester counties that Trump purchased in 1998 for a total of [$2.75m](How a Failed Trump Golf Course Became a Dilapidated State Park | Time), hoping to build a golf course. Neighborhood officials halted the plan, citing environmental concerns, and the land was abandoned. In an alternate timeline, the story would just end here.

But we’re living in Trump’s universe. In 2006, the reality TV mogul donated the undeveloped land to New York state, claiming it was worth $100m – an amount that, if claimed as a qualified conservation contribution, could have saved him a fortune in income tax, potentially carried forward for years. (Confusingly, Trump’s 2016 campaign valued the land at [$26.1m](https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/a-portrait-of-trump-the-donor-free-rounds-of-golf-but-no-personal-cash/2016/04/10/373b9b92-fb40-11e5-9140-e61d062438bb_story.html) in his public list of charitable contributions.)

my bold

4 Likes

4 things to know about Trump and ‘The Apprentice,’ according to the New York Times

We Finally Know Just How Big a Fraud Trump Is

We always sort of knew, but now we really know, you know?

Yes, Donald Trump Is Still A Billionaire. That Makes His $750 Tax Payment Even More Scandalous

Tax Returns Show Trump Looting Treasury to Stave Off His Own Financial Disaster

‘I don’t want to pay tax’: Trump grilled over bombshell tax returns report in presidential debate

‘I don’t want to pay taxes,’ Trump says while disputing NYT report in debate with Biden

Trump Denies NYT Report With Claim He Paid Millions in Taxes

He was confronted during the debate with the report that he paid only $750 in federal taxes in 2016 and 2017 and none in 10 of the previous 15 years.

‘It’s not fair’: workers outraged that Donald Trump pays less tax than them

President paid almost no federal income tax in 15 years in contrast to hefty contributions from those striving to make ends meet

2 Likes

Former Neo-Nazi Speaks Out On Trump’s “Stand Back, Stand By” Comment With A Chilling Warning: This Was A “Clear-Cut Call To A Violent White Supremacist Group That They Must Stay Vigilant”

Last night, we all watched on in horror as Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, stood on stage in front of the entire nation, broadcasted on national TV, and absolutely refused to outright condemn white nationalist groups in the United States.

Not only did Trump refuse to issue a clear and concise condemnation, he actually appeared to call on these white supremacy groups to be ready to fight for him.

On stage, during last night’s first round of presidential debates, after prodding from both the moderator and his opponent to condemn these groups, Trump said this:

Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I’ll tell you what. I’ll tell you what. Somebody’s got to do something about antifa and the left, because this is not a right-wing problem.”

But folks, it gets scarier.

Democracy Now’s Amy Goodman sat down for an interview with former neo-Nazi who now leads the Free Radicals Project, a group with the goal of helping people disengage from violent extremism, Christian Picciolini, to discuss Trump’s apparent call on the Proud Boys last night. And the warning he uttered will chill you to the bone.

“Well, Amy, it’s very crystal clear to me what President Trump was calling for last night, and it’s, I think, crystal clear to the Proud Boys what he was asking for. And that was for continued pressure, continued violence against what he is calling the threat of the left,” Picciolini stated at the beginning of the interview. “So, he was completely wrong. But it was a clear-cut call to a violent white supremacist group that they must stay vigilant. If I were a Proud Boy, which essentially is version 2.0 of a neo-Nazi skinhead, I would see that as a call to arms, specifically against anti-fascist groups and protesters like Antifa and Black Lives Matter.”

The interview goes on to take a deep dive into the meaning behind Trump’s statement from an actual former neo-Nazi as well as commentary from Temple University professor Marc Lamont Hill who stated clearly of Trump’s debate performance, “He wants violence in the streets, he wants chaos at the polls because he wants Americans to feel a sense of unsafety. It’s its own kind of diplomatic terrorism.”

Now is the time to worry.

You can read the full interview here.

3 Likes

We have come full circle. Trump now states he does not know who the Proud Boys are.

Video:

A former DHS insider sheds a darker light on Trump’s vile ‘Proud Boys’ comment

3 Likes

The first masks arrived on the White House grounds in February by special order of the National Security Council, mobilizing early on to address the emerging threat of the coming coronavirus. Job One in their emergency response was to take personal precautions, preparing for the critical work at hand, multiple officials tell CNN.

But word that some NSC staffers were being told to wear masks quickly made its way back to the West Wing and it wasn’t long before a sharp dictum came down.

"If you have the whole West Wing running around wearing masks, it wasn’t a good look," one administration official recalled of the directive that came down from senior staff and lawyers.

The West Wing wanted to “portray confidence and make the public believe there was absolutely nothing to worry about,” the official said, revealing the image-conscious reason for the opposition to masks for the first time.

3 Likes

Watching what they are saying, and particularly from Republican speechwriter Peggy Noonan, who delivers harsh criticism for Trump and points to the fact he’s been losing in the past. She condemns him for not saying there will be a peaceful transition of power or denounce white supremacy.

She lands some blows on Biden too…

But at least she tells it like it is…

Where does all this stand, days after the debate and a month before the election? All summer, wise people were saying Joe Biden’s ahead but Donald Trump’s in the game, can’t write him off, a lot of issues (rising crime, economic fear, a poor Democratic convention) are going in his favor, this thing is dynamic.

But things are congealing now, taking on their final shape, and isn’t it kind of obvious, especially after the debate, what’s happening?

The polls have had Mr. Biden leading for the past 12 months, almost impervious to events. FiveThirtyEight.com’s national polling average this week has Mr. Biden up by 7.9 points, Real Clear Politics by 7.2. There are other, smaller things, dots in the emerging picture. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, the former wrestling star and popular movie star who himself has been spoken of as a possible GOP contender and whose fan base can be assumed to be pro-Trump, this week made his first presidential endorsement and came out for Joe Biden. Former generals who’ve never publicly endorsed anyone—such as Stanley McChrystal, former commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, and Chuck Boyd, for seven years a prisoner of war in Vietnam—have come out for Mr. Biden. All these endorsements look targeted to giving American men permission to go for the guy who may look weak but in the end is the stronger choice. As for what in more innocent times was called the woman’s vote, this column thinks what it thought in June: They’ll crawl over broken husbands to vote him out.

I believe in the phenomenon of shy Trump voters, people who fear, rightly, that they’ll be looked down on if they say they’re for him, their social or professional standing damaged. But if the polls are roughly right there wouldn’t be nearly enough to make a difference.

The horse race is fun, and good for ratings. Mr. Biden has always been a poor national candidate. And Mr. Trump has some dark magic, some voodoo no one understands, he’ll pull something out of the hat. But he’s not magic, it’s not voodoo; he’s a clever man who capitalized four years ago on a perfect historical storm. Joe Biden is winning. And there’s no particular reason to think it will be close.

What did the debate do to this picture?

The president depressed everybody, even his own supporters, by acting like a bullying nut. He left people anguished about the future of the country. By the time it was over people were thinking, deep down: The incumbent is an incompetent who’s out of his mind, and the challenger is a befuddled man who struggles to carry a public thought to its conclusion, and who can’t tell you what he’ll do in part because he doesn’t want to and in part because he doesn’t really know.

After the debate I spent a long night and a full day talking to Trump foes and supporters and foes, and all I heard was an outpouring of sadness.

Mr. Trump has come in for most of the critical scorn—fair enough!—but Biden deserves plenty also. He could string sentences together, but they weren’t very good sentences. He wasn’t always coherent: “The 20—the 200 mil—the 200,000 people that have died on his watch, how many of those have survived?” He insisted Roe v. Wade “is on the ballot in the court.” He attacked Mr. Trump for coronavirus lockdowns: “This is his economy he shut down”—but when asked why he is more reluctant to reopen it he didn’t really have an answer.

Chris Wallace: “Are you willing to tell the American people tonight whether or not you will support either ending the filibuster or packing the court?” Mr. Biden seemed in his answer to be repeating the advice of his debate coach: “Whatever position I take on that, that’ll become the issue. . . . You should go out and vote. . . . Vote and let your senators know strongly how you feel.”

Mr. Trump: “Are you going to pack the court?”

Mr. Biden: “Vote now.”

Mr. Trump: “Are you going to pack the court?”

Mr. Biden: “Make sure you, in fact, let people know, your senators.”

Trump: “He doesn’t want to answer the question.”

Biden: “I’m not going to answer the question.”

But it couldn’t be more important as a question. Every American has the right to know his plans here, and Mr. Biden has the responsibility to provide them.

Mr. Wallace asked Mr. Biden what “reimagining policing” means. Biden said he’s not for defunding; police need “more assistance. They need when they show up for a 911 call to have someone with them as a psychologist or psychiatrist to keep them from having to use force and be able to talk people down.”

C’mon, man. An officer answering a midnight call with some doped up guy wielding a knife in a darkened doorway and a woman and kids sobbing inside the house—that cop would be happy to have a shrink to help, and also a priest and a rabbi and The Rock and a helpful hospital team with a straitjacket. In what world is tapped-out, freaked-out, unruly America going to get that?

Mr. Wallace asked if Mr. Biden had ever called the Democratic mayor of Portland or governor of Oregon and asked them to do whatever it takes to end the summer’s riots. Biden, weakly: “I don’t hold public office. . . . I’ve made it clear in my public statements that the violence should be prosecuted.”

He never asked them to “knock off a hundred days of riots?”

Mr. Biden: “They can in fact take care of it if he’d [Mr. Trump] just stay out of the way.”

The two most terrible moments. however, belonged to Mr. Trump. Condemning white supremacy is not only morally right, which is its own unarguable imperative; it is easy, a softball a competent demagogue could have hit out of the park. Americans disapprove of hate groups! They hate groups based on hating a race or religion or ethnicity. Such groups are un-American. It is scandal a president would not denounce them.

As terrible, and ominous, was at the end.

Mr. Wallace: “What are you prepared to do to reassure the American people that the next president will be the legitimate winner of this election?”

Mr. Trump: “As far as the ballots are concerned, it’s a disaster.” He spoke of mail-ballot fraud, “We might not know for months because these ballots are going to be all over.” “It’s a rigged election.” “This is not going to end well.” He said this twice.

Mr. Wallace: “Will you urge your supporters to stay calm during this extended period, not to engage in any civil unrest?”

Mr. Trump: “I am urging my people . . . if it’s a fair election, I am 100% on board. But if I see tens of thousands of ballots being manipulated, I can’t go along with that.”

He wouldn’t vow to do what any president in history would do, urge calm and discourage violence.

But Mr. Biden did. “The fact is, I will accept it. . . . And if it’s me, in fact, fine. If it’s not me, I’ll support the outcome.”

It was the most important thing said all night. Thank you, Mr. Vice President, for saying it. Shame on the president for not. What a loser.

1 Like

Stable genius becomes disease vector

Trump’s ego, coupled with his disgust for any kind of physical fragility — this is the man who sneered about wounded war veterans that “nobody wants to see that” — has been a major reason that the coronavirus pandemic spiraled out of control in this country.

From the very first hints that the virus was going to be a problem, Trump treated the situation the way he treats his faltering eyesight: as an embarrassing weakness to be hidden away, instead of a problem to be dealt with openly and honestly.

In fact, Trump clearly thinks the existence of the coronavirus is a personal insult directed at him, and has turned it into a personal loyalty test for his staff, his supporters and other Republican politicians to act like the pandemic is no big deal.

The results, of course, have been devastating. Because so many Republican governors gave into Trump’s wishes to “reopen” their states too quickly, the pandemic exploded across the country. Trump’s signaling that he found mask-wearing and social distancing personally offensive has made it worse, by encouraging Republican voters nationwide to shun basic public health measures to slow the virus. The results never fail to be stunning: Nearly 7.3 million infected as of Friday morning, and more than 208,000 dead.

4 Likes

I’ve been musing upon this over the past couple of days. But this tweet says it all:

5 Likes

You just can’t make this sort of shit up! Anyone with even an ounce of common sense would have decided that this latest stunt by T was completely off the chart of irresponsibility.

‘This is insanity’: Walter Reed physician among critics of Trump drive-by visit | US news | The Guardian

James Phillips, doctor of emergency medicine at George Washington University, who is an attending physician at Walter Reed, called the stunt “insanity”.

“Every single person in the vehicle during that completely unnecessary Presidential ‘drive-by’ just now has to be quarantined for 14 days. They might get sick. They may die,” he wrote in a tweet.

“For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity.”

4 Likes

White House reassurances about Trump’s condition stir doubts instead

https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-trump-covid-photos-video-walter-reed-doubts-questions-154739237.html

In one photo, Trump is putting his signature on a sheet of paper, which on close observation appears to be blank.

While multiple photos were released showing Trump in different locations and with different clothes, the corresponding metadata shows they were taken 10 minutes apart, implying to some observers they were staged to create the impression of a full day of presidential business.

The White House also released a video of Trump discussing his improved health and his intention of getting back to work. At one point in the 4-minute video, Trump appears to have coughed but the moment was inexpertly edited out.

Every problem is handled as a PR problem, including the health of the President of the United States of America.

4 Likes

:eyes:

Visually depicting Trump’s four years of deceit

WaPo fact-checker Glenn Kessler shared this photo and story: “In Brooklyn this weekend, Radio Free Brooklyn erected a 50-foot-long mural featuring every claim listed in our database of Trump’s false or misleading claims, color-coded by subject.” The Brooklyn Eagle has background info about the project here… Brian Stelter’s newsletter

2 Likes

“Don Jr. Thinks Trump Is Acting Crazy”: The President’s COVID Joyride Has the Family Divided

The president’s recklessness at Walter Reed has Don Jr. pushing for an intervention, but Ivanka and Jared “keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source says.

Donald Trump ’s erratic and reckless behavior in the last 24 hours has opened a rift in the Trump family over how to rein in the out-of-control president, according to two Republicans briefed on the family conversations. Sources said Donald Trump Jr . is deeply upset by his father’s decision to drive around Walter Reed National Military Medical Center last night with members of the Secret Service while he was infected with COVID-19. “Don Jr. thinks Trump is acting crazy,” one of the sources told me. The stunt outraged medical experts, including an attending physician at Walter Reed.

According to sources, Don Jr. has told friends that he tried lobbying Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump , and Jared Kushner to convince the president that he needs to stop acting unstable. “Don Jr. has said he wants to stage an intervention, but Jared and Ivanka keep telling Trump how great he’s doing,” a source said. Don Jr. is said to be reluctant to confront his father alone. “Don said, ‘I’m not going to be the only one to tell him he’s acting crazy,’” the source added.

One area where the family seems united is over the president’s manic tweeting early Monday morning. After Trump sent out more than a dozen all-caps tweets, the Trump children told people they want Trump to stop. “They’re all worried. They’ve tried to get him to stop tweeting,” a source close to the family told me.

The Trump family’s private concern about Trump’s behavior could raise questions about his fitness for office. Trump has been prescribed drugs that medical experts say can seriously impair his cognitive function. Last night the New York Times reported that steroids, which Trump is reportedly taking, specifically dexamethasone, are known to “affect mood, causing euphoria or a general happiness.”

There is a long history in the Trump family of denying serious illness. According to a Trump family friend, Trump’s father, Fred Trump Sr., insisted on working even after his Alzheimer’s disease advanced in the 1990s. “To retire is to expire!” Fred Sr. would say. The friend said that as Fred Sr.’s disease worsened––he once came down the stairs wearing three neckties––the family created a system so that Fred could think he was still running the Trump Organization. Every day Fred Sr. would go to the office in Brooklyn and they would give him blank papers to sort through and sign. The phone on Fred’s desk was set up so that it could only dial out to his secretary. “Fred pretended to work,” the family friend said.

The White House did not immediately respond for comment.

3 Likes

He’s not wrong, I hope the first family can come together over this, they need to keep his best interest at heart and ignore petty family politics. It’s quite the situation.

3 Likes

WTAF

We Can’t Trust Anyone on Trump’s Health

Over the weekend, reporters tried to get the answer to a seemingly simple question: How is the president doing? But since Donald Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis last week, we’ve learned how complicated the answer can be. On Saturday, Trump was said to be doing well. And then came reports he’d required supplemental oxygen and had a fever, after which Trump himself started releasing videos to prove how well he was. Eventually, on Sunday afternoon, the president convinced his doctors to let him ride around Walter Reed Medical Center and wave to supporters outside. And still, if you were watching, you might have asked yourself: How is the president doing?

Because when it comes to claims about Trump’s health, the first story hasn’t ever been the real story. It’s always been the sell. And as the president keeps selling the American people on his health, what we know is: Even if he’s doing fantastically well, he has an extremely infectious virus and could be infecting others. Slate’s Will Saletan says this matches up with everything we know about Trump: “He doesn’t think about other people. He thinks only about himself.”

While a lot of people are thinking about what happens if Trump takes a turn for the worse, Saletan has been thinking about what we’re left with if Trump recovers. I spoke with him on Sunday afternoon about what we really know about Trump’s illness and what it means for the rest of us. Our conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Mary Harris: Can we just talk about this wild ride of misinformation we ’ ve been on?

Will Saletan: From an ordinary person’s point of view, you might think, OK, I don’t want to hear from the political spin people in the White House. I don’t want to hear from the Republican Party. I don’t want to hear from Trump himself. I want to hear from doctors, because doctors tell the truth. Actually, it turns out that doctors can spin just like everyone else. And these doctors have.

I shouldn’t say doctors, plural. There is one doctor, Trump’s physician, Sean Conley, who has given a couple of press conferences. And in the first one on Saturday, he spun. There’s not a nicer way to put it. He was asked directly several times whether Donald Trump had received oxygen, which is something one often needs due to COVID.

And it can indicate more severe illness.

Yes, it can. Conley was asked several times at the briefing at Walter Reed on Saturday whether Trump had received oxygen—specific questions about which days. And he hedges. Well, now it turns out that Trump did receive oxygen on Friday. So here you have a physician trying to avoid telling the truth in a way that we normally associate with political operatives.

Right after the doctor says everything’s looking great, the president’s in great shape, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows comes out and says, actually, it was a little touch-and-go on Friday, and we’re not quite out of the woods yet. A little bit later he says, but the president is great now. And it’s kind of this other layer of conflicting information where you just truly don’t know who to believe.

There’s really no one here you can trust and certainly not Mark Meadows, who, as you point out, has given different versions of events.

One of the lessons of the last few days is that we are learning things in the media from unnamed sources first, and then the White House is coming forward and confirming what various members of the media have learned. For instance, we learned that the president was on oxygen and was unwell on Friday from unnamed sources who spoke to the Times. And then a day or so later, you get the confirmation.

We get this from the media, and the media get it from the anonymous sources, who are, by the way, people in the White House or people around the president. And then we have the bizarre spectacle of Trump advisers denying information that they’ve given on background. So these people are putting out information anonymously, then challenging the media to prove it. When you hear the Trump campaign and Trump talking about fake news and it’s anonymous sources, it’s them . It’s their own people. And then they come out and they accuse us of fake news because our sources are anonymous. That is absolutely infuriating.

I don ’ t get why the White House would do this? It just makes them seem incompetent. And I ’ m just not sure about the strategy. C learly, the president was unhappy with the idea that people knew that he was unwell , but I just don ’ t understand what the play is here.

Well, they’ve gotten away with this for so long. The virus is the first thing that came along that just didn’t care what Donald Trump said. It’s just a virus. It’s going to infect as many people as it can. It can’t be cowed. It can’t be spun. And it can’t be snowed. It’s not some foreign leader who can be bullied. It’s not some Trump voter who doesn’t care what the actual economic numbers are. It just infects and kills whoever it can kill. So, the Trump strategy of lying and of denying, which has worked on other issues, just isn’t working on this one.

The death toll is unbelievable. Think back: Less than 3,000 people were killed on 9/11, and Trump said that that was an outrage and George W. Bush should be held accountable for it. We are over 200,000. We are in six figures of deaths. And Trump is still going, incredibly, with this strategy of “don’t pay attention to that.” He’s asking people to basically ignore it.

It stood out to me that we’re at this particular moment in the presidency where so many people who might have stood up and said, Hey, we need to do things differently are out and they’ve been replaced by people who are yes men. And that means that in a situation like this, it’s just especially precarious.

Part of what’s going on at this point is this gradual filtration effect. There used to be people who stood up to Trump. Famously, his former chief of staff, John Kelly, told the president that if he surrounded himself with yes men he would end up getting impeached. Well, that was proved quite prescient. He was impeached. So gradually, the people who stood up to him have been removed. And the people who remain are those who tell him what he wants to hear.

Part of what is so grotesque about what’s happened here with the infections is that it reflects the larger pattern of the Trump family thinking they’re immune, thinking they don’t have to follow the same rules as other people. We have the debate in Cleveland on Tuesday where everyone was supposed to wear a mask. The Biden people at the debate wore a mask. The Trump family took their masks off. They thought that that wasn’t necessary for them. The rules didn’t apply to them. And they thought they were protected from that.

What I think is going to be the much larger scandal coming out of this is that on Thursday, after the White House knows that Hope Hicks, Trump’s senior adviser who has been very physically close to Trump and others, has been diagnosed with COVID, they go to Bedminster and Trump sits around a table at a fundraiser with people who have no idea that he has just been with someone who has just been diagnosed with the virus. And he exposes those people to the risk of the virus without their knowledge and just tries to hide it from them—to get money. To get money! He collects millions of dollars at this fundraiser in an extremely dangerous situation. He exempted himself from the rules so that he could go and collect that money. That, I believe, will be the largest scandal coming out of this.

How is catching the coronavirus good or bad for Trump politically? There is this idea that maybe it will generate sympathy and that could be part of reelecting him? Is that what you think too?

I think there is some sympathy for him. As soon as his infection was announced, there were people on Twitter on the left celebrating, and there were people like me who said, don’t celebrate. And Rachel Maddow saying, don’t celebrate. And Joe Biden saying, don’t celebrate. It’s unseemly. It’s inhumane to wish ill on anyone, including Donald Trump. What’s much more likely to hurt Donald Trump is that the focus of this conversation can shift, and I believe is shifting, from Donald Trump’s health situation and how he got infected to how he endangered and possibly infected others. That’s a completely different conversation. Donald Trump, God willing, will get better and will be back on the campaign trail. And then we will be left with the question of the measures that the White House failed to take and the protocols they violated: what Trump knew, when he knew it, and why he proceeded to endanger others, apparently for the sake of large campaign contributions in the form of these fundraisers.

And it keeps the coronavirus at the front of the news, which is something the president did not want.

Can we just stand back and say how bizarre it is that we have anonymous quotes from people who work for Donald Trump talking about how they want to keep the coronavirus out of the news? A thing that has killed more than 200,000 Americans. And they’re just openly saying we’re trying to get people to ignore this. It is a grotesque campaign strategy. To some extent it has worked, but I think it’s running out. Their failure to control the virus, their attempt to wish it away and to hide it is failing.

We should say that all presidents try to keep information about their health away from the public. What do you think it is that makes this circumstance different?

I can’t think of another case where the medical threat to the president was a threat to other people as a result of his actions. To me, that’s the fundamental distinction. You’re absolutely right that presidents have tried to hide health problems. I believe in every one of those cases it has simply been a matter where the president may have been incapacitated in some way when there may have been a national security risk and we weren’t told. They can say in those situations, Hey, we didn’t want the Russians or the Chinese or some other nefarious enemy to know that for those five hours the vice president was in control or whatever it was . But this is different because I just keep thinking of Trump sitting around a table with these Republican donors in New Jersey, some of whom are in the high-risk group. This is not like the president has a cardiac problem. This is that the president has an infectious disease and hiding that is just the height of irresponsibility.

3 Likes

:boom: this is it right here, this is a huge national security problem. Probably the worst national security problem ever.

3 Likes

I hope he’s just really high

4 Likes

From a Dr on the sidelines

2 Likes

If this were my parent, I would be using my power of attorney to keep him and America safe. This bonkers, just bonkers. Don’t they care about his health?

3 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes