WTF Community

Support NothingButNets 8/21

Today is World Mosquito Day, a day which celebrates the discovery of the link between mosquitos and malaria. Each year 200 million cases of malaria are reported worldwide. Among other things, I am a member of JCI. The Jaycees support https://www.nothingbutnets.net/ a joint program with the United Nations to provide mosquito nets to communities in need. August 21st is JCI’s World Malaria Call In Day, where citizens all over the world call their leaders and ask them to continue to support this program.

As you know, the current administration doesn’t have a great attitude towards international partnerships, and there is concern that funding for programs like these will be maliciously pulled out of the US budget. So, I would ask everyone to share this with their groups to call their Reps and Senators tomorrow to ask them to protect funding for malaria programs. Here are the instructions. Let me know if you do this, I’m keeping record of a rough tally.

STEP 1: Find your House of Rep phone number here:

Find your Senator phone numbers here:

STEP 2: Call your Reps on Monday and use this script (or something similar)

“Hello, my name is NAME and I am a constituent of yours in TOWN. I’m calling you today to ask that you continue to protect funding for malaria programs, such as NothingButNets and to protect funding for the United Nations in general. Each year 200 million people contract malaria, a deadly, yet preventable disease. With your leadership on the issue, we can help defeat the disease. Thank you for all your hard work representing myself and my community in TOWN.”

Following this call, post on social media using the hashtag #JCIUSAEngage500 and tag your member of congress you spoke with using the ‘@’ symbol. Challenge your fellow activists to call in as well. Three calls usually take less than 5 minutes. We appreciate you actively practicing your right to an opinion and advocating for what you believe in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.