WTF Community

Trump dictated son’s misleading statement on meeting with Russian lawyer

Scaramucci who?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-dictated-sons-misleading-statement-on-meeting-with-russian-lawyer/2017/07/31/04c94f96-73ae-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html

“Because Trump believes he is innocent, some advisers explained, he therefore does not think he is at any legal risk for a coverup. In his mind, they said, there is nothing to conceal.”

See, this is what bugs me. The “dumb” defense. We hear it constantly from various spokespeople for the White House, or from pundits on Fox News, that the Trump administration is new at everything and don’t know what they’re doing, or that they’re too disorganized to collude with Russians, or they try to phrase things to make them sound like the senior staff is sort of dumb…

You don’t have to be that bright to know not to mess around with intelligence from foreign agents during your presidential campaign. I feel like that’s a pretty common sense sort of thing that even the most wet-behind-the-ears political neophyte would know better than to do.

1 Like

Here’s a :trophy: for your excellent use of emojis. :clap:

4 Likes

Trump just destroyed any plausible deniability he might have had about that meeting. :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Trump’s painfully obvious lying is in addition to WH Press Secretary Sarah Sanders statement confirming Trump assisted, “weighed in”, and “offered suggestions” to Don Jr.

So the White House statement not only directly contradicts Trump, but also directly contradicts Trump’s lawyer too. Jay Sekulow said in an NBC interview on July 16, “The president was not involved in the drafting of the statement and did not issue the statement.”

2 Likes

I think Trumps plan is to pardon anyone involved if there is actually anyone convicted of anything, including himself, so there isn’t any need to cover up or try to tell a lie that makes sense. It really won’t matter when it comes down to it.

I think he’s never been held to any consequences in his life ever, and thinks he can talk/cheat/bribe/sue his way out of any issues, like he always has. He also may, deep down in his heart, believe that “everyone else is doing it”, and not actually think that what he’s doing is wrong or any different than what anyone else would do. Not a legal defense, mind you, but from that position, some of his actions make a bit more sense.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s going to be allowed to pardon himself. The wording is somewhat ambiguous, but no sitting president has ever issued a pardon for their self. And it doesn’t make sense that it would be allowed considering a he could go test his 5th Ave campaign claim and then pardon himself for the murder.

As one of my friends is fond of saying, god help that man if they ever get him under oath.

I thought this was a good round-up of opinion from 15 legal experts:

Because the act of a president pardoning himself is such a gray area, if Trump did do it, he’d definitely be impeached (a political process), and it’d be seen as an admission of guilt. But we’d certainly have a constitutional crisis, and it’d go all the way to the Supreme Court. SCOTUS would probably knock it down for this very reason :point_down:

Interestingly, because granting a pardon only applies to federal crimes, many people are turning their attention toward prosecution by NY Attorney General (e.g., for possible money laundering, racketeering, and crimes dealing with finances & real estate deals in general).

It gets even weirder though: pardoning himself could be interpreted as a conspiracy to obstruct justice! So if the pardon was part of a conspiracy or bribe, it’d be legally-binding, but the act would be criminal… :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

This is super useful! Thanks for compiling this.

1 Like

Every time I think I can’t get more sickened by ppl swallowing, either thru some sort of misguided but sort of “genuine” ignorance (like their lack of education on how to verify news) or willful pursuit of self interest and power…well, tequila is medicinal, right? :joy_cat:

2 Likes

if this is what the press has, just imagine what mueller has…

5 Likes

Trump has the “best brain” :brain: when it comes to a master plan for Making America Great Again (or as “like, a smart person” who touts amazing deals :roll_eyes:), but then he’s totally incompetent when he’s liable or has to take responsibility.

Riiight… :unamused:

(:bridge_at_night: <-- Bridge for sale :moneybag: :joy:)

4 Likes

Trump’s denials are never plausible :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This transcript was published by Politico today about a WSJ interview with Trump in the Oval Office that occurred one week ago (July 25). WSJ’s deputy editor-in-chief warned staff about leaking the transcript (WSJ only published excerpts of it).

So even two full weeks after he dictated Don Jr’s misleading denial of having met with the Russians about the campaign, Trump is still blatantly lying about the meeting’s existence (“We never dealt with Russia.”)

2 Likes