WTF Community

US in crisis - Black Lives Matter Fallout - National and local responses

White voters are turning on Trump, new data shows. Why now?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/09/white-voters-are-turning-trump-new-data-shows-why-now/

National Guard member deployed in DC when tear gas was launched at peaceful protesters said what he saw was ‘really f----- up’

‘What I saw was just absolutely wrong’: National Guardsmen struggle with their role in controlling protests

POLITICO spoke to 10 National Guardsmen who have taken part in the protest response across the country since the killing of George Floyd while in police custody.

‘Ugh’: Republicans cringe after Trump’s attack on 75-year-old protester

Most GOP senators tried to deflect questions about the president’s latest controversial tweet.

3 Likes

Yes, that is the message that needs to be seen.

4 Likes

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright discusses Trump using tear gas on protesters to pose with the St. John’s Church, why she says Trump is the most un-American president in U.S. history and her new book.

Stephen Miller Reportedly Writing Trump Speech on Race Relations

3 Likes

The man who claimed “MAGA loves the blacks” has come out against removing the names of treasonous, losing racists from U.S. military bases, citing them as part of our “Great American Heritage.”

Shocking, I know.

3 Likes

Three articles about it today.

One from yesterday before the tweet.

One about the bases.

One about how the Army was ready to follow the Marines’ lead.

Protesters Establish Autonomous Zone Around Seattle PD Building as Police Retreat

3 Likes

Oh, really?

3 Likes

video

2 Likes

On the face of it, it sure does look like a slap in the face…

Black community and political leaders called on President Donald Trump to at least change the Juneteenth date for a rally kicking off his return to public campaigning, saying Thursday that plans for a rally on the day that marks the end of slavery in America come as a “slap in the face.”

Trump campaign officials discussed in advance the possible reaction to the Juneteenth date, but despite fierce blowback there are no plans to change it.

4 Likes

Two major developments with Breonna Taylor.

First, Louisville has passed a ban on no-knock warrants:

Louisville city council unanimously pass ‘Breonna’s Law’ to ban no-knock warrants

“This is one of many critical steps on police reform that we’ve taken to create a more peaceful, just, compassionate and equitable community,” the Louisville mayor said.

Louisville bans “no knock” warrants through “Breonna’s Law”

And police released the incident report on her death. It’s… horrifying. What parts aren’t blank are lies.

Louisville police release the Breonna Taylor incident report. It’s virtually blank Breonna Taylor shooting: Louisville police release incident report

Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report – it lists her injuries as “none”

Breonna Taylor Police Report Gives Few Details, Some Wrong

The report, released this week, has a box to check for forced entry, which was checked “No,” and it also said “none” in a space for the victim’s injuries.

2 Likes

I.

Hate.

Groypers.

Nick Fuentes attends BLM protest, tells demonstrators cops will kneel on their neck

Racist trolling.

3 Likes

Man charged in deputy ambush scrawled extremist ‘Boogaloo’ phrases in blood

Carrillo killed Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, critically injured another deputy and threw pipe bombs at police on June 6th, Santa Cruz District Attorney Jeffrey S. Rosell alleged on Thursday.

Before he was apprehended, Carrillo scrawled the word “boog” and “I became unreasonable” in blood on the hood of a car. “Boog” is short for boogaloo, a far-right anti-government movement that began on the extremist site 4chan and aims to start a second American civil war.

This is why site moderation is so important, it just takes eyes and healthy online community leadership to not allow these crazy dealt conspiracies gain traction.

4 Likes

I have a number of articles that talk about the fact that the vast majority of ambushes of rural police are done by white supremacists, to the degree that they’ve had to have seminars and warnings about it.

More on him:

Suspect in Santa Cruz ambush linked to federal officer killing in Oakland; charged with 19 felonies

Suspect was a sergeant in the U.S. Air Force

Two old articles:

Rural cops are more likely to be ambushed by white nationalist and sovereign citizen extremists. Law enforcement experts suggest strategies to protect officers on patrol.

Far-right extremists are quietly murdering police officers - Data shows dozens of officers have been murdered by the far-right over the last decade. But no one seems to be talking about it.

Ugly President is trending on twitter thanks to Meidas Touch again:

3 Likes

So we have a story breaking here.

Some are reporting it as a suicide, some as a lynching. A lot of questions are being raised about the lack of footage in a HIGHLY visible, public area in a major city.

Robert Fuller, 23, was found hanging from a tree in Palmdale, CA, outside city hall.

Investigators Say Palmdale Man’s Death By Hanging Was Likely Suicide. Some Speculate It Was A Hate Crime.

1 Like

Today in Seattle

Click links for video :point_down:

4 Likes

@Pet_Proletariat are you at any of these marches? Or is it not safe bc of any beating-cancer complications? I mean i’d like to clarify that you absolutely don’t have to share if you’re not comfortable, just curious if you have the words to describe how it feels there in general.
(i really hope i didn’t miss a post where you said you were/weren’t and i somehow skipped it in my Rona Brain.)

5 Likes

Yeah, I can’t be there. I asked my doctor she said it’s a bad idea for me. So I’m just supporting my friends feeds and seattle twitter posts. I hate staying home but better than a ventilator and maybe never going home.

5 Likes

:eyes: After two days of defending the original date in public.

3 Likes

Yes, this is going to upend a lot of lives unfortunately. The last ‘Heroes Act’ spending bill that Pelosi wanted was not taken up for a vote in the Senate would help with funding those most in need.

Black and Latino people are twice as likely to rent as white people, so they would be most endangered if the protection from removal is ended. But there’s no relief in sight from Congress, with Republicans and Democrats not even expected to begin negotiating a new economic relief package until after the July Fourth holiday.

“How many people are going to be homeless?” Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) asked Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson at a hearing Tuesday at the Senate Banking Committee, his voice rising. “How many people are going to lose their homes, and what are you as an administration going to do about it?”

Carson did not provide an estimate of how many people stand to be evicted when the moratorium ends on July 24. A HUD spokesman said the agency “does not have these numbers available.”

The moratorium covers evictions, not rent payments, and nearly 26 million people will have trouble coming up with the rent by September amid the economic crisis caused by the pandemic, according to Zach Neumann of the COVID-19 Eviction Defense Project. Forty-four percent of black tenants said they have little or no confidence they would be able to meet their next rent payment, according to the latest snapshot from the census, conducted the last week of May.

Timing for the stimulus package matters because programs that were included in earlier bills — like the boost in pandemic unemployment — are due to sunset at the end of July. As a result, the pressure to get something done is only growing as many workers and businesses continue to struggle with the economic fallout of the pandemic.

Heroes Act passed in House in May

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/05/15/democrats-pelosi-congress-coronavirus-3-trillion-trump/

The sweeping legislation, dubbed the “Heroes Act, passed 208-199. Fourteen Democrats defected and opposed the bill, reflecting concerns voiced both by moderates and liberals in the House Democratic caucus about the bill’s content and the leadership-driven process that brought it to the floor. The bill won support from just one Republican: Rep. Peter T. King of New York.

4 Likes

Fox News runs digitally altered images in coverage of Seattle’s protests, Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/fox-news-runs-digitally-altered-images-in-coverage-of-seattles-protests-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone/

Fox News published digitally altered and misleading photos on stories about Seattle’s Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) in what photojournalism experts called a clear violation of ethical standards for news organizations.

As part of a package of stories Friday about the zone, where demonstrators have taken over several city blocks on Capitol Hill after Seattle police abandoned the East Precinct, Fox’s website for much of the day featured a photo of a man standing with a military-style rifle in front of what appeared to be a smashed retail storefront.

For context and comparison.

4 Likes

Another black man shot down in Atlanta.
Rayshard Brooks was gunned down after police were called on him for sleeping in a Wendy’s drive-thru. He understandably wrestled with the officers when they tazed him, but was unarmed and fleeing when they put three bullets in his back.

Meanwhile, cop killer Steven Carrillo was taken alive:

4 Likes