WTF Community

What The Fuck Happened Over The Weekend?

From Axios Reporter Alexi McCammond - sizes it up.

2 Likes

This works, this is the path. Police should stand down.

4 Likes

The police have arrested another black CNN reporter, this time in New York. There is no doubt at all it was harassment.

4 Likes

NBC reporter…Garrett Haake

4 Likes

Black protester tells it…what it’s like to be targeted by police. Reporter tries to weigh it against the destruction…she continues with it has never been fair and she and others need to be heard.

Looting has occurred all over the city like the high-end merchants - Gucci, etc were vandalized which really gets at the crux of the wealth disparity, …and someone remarked it’s almost in a French Revolutionary style - “ Let them eat cake ” response.

The flat-out protest requires more than just putting people in jail for the night.

In Los Angeles tonight where curfew started at 8p

https://abc7.com/protester-explains-how-violence-in-la-compares-to-racial-inequality-in-society/6222283/

One protester, who asked only to be identified as Jane Doe, spoke eloquently about the cause and the need to continue speaking out even as violence broke out around her and a curfew was declared.

The message that I want to get out is there is a huge difference in America between white Americans and black Americans,” the young woman told ABC7 reporter Leanne Suter. “They are treated very differently.”

“Although I do not want white Americans to experience what we have experienced from the police, I want the police to come to an agreement with us to have the same opportunity to have the same protection from them that white Americans have.”

Police brutality is out of control, she said, and she sees officers treat people of different races differently.

The violence of Saturday night’s protests, she said, gives the rest of the world a sense of the fear that many people in her community feel every day.

“The damage tonight is necessary. You know why? Because this is how we feel every day walking down the street. We don’t get to see the beautiful buildings that everybody else gets to see.”

We get to feel like we don’t belong there. We get to feel like trash. We get to feel like garbage. We get to feel like we can’t come here. But we came here today because we want to be a part of it.”

"This is what it’s like to walk down the streets. It’s chaos. I’m afraid every time a police officer drives past me. I have a clean record, I have never committed a crime. Law-abiding citizen. I have gone to college. Yet I get pulled over every time I’m driving my car because it’s a 2020.

To see the rest of her comments, watch the interview in the video above.

So the National Guard will be brought in tonight.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: :memo: Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

John Cusack being attacked by police with batons in Chicago was not something I expected to see.

3 Likes

Nashville

Grand Rapids

And then there’s a guy in Dallas who was beaten and is in the hospital after he was chasing protesters with a SWORD.

4 Likes

Silver lining…:raised_hands:

video here :point_down::point_down:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Camden, NJ, is where the police joined the protest:

More on John Cusack:

John Cusack attacked by police and ‘hit by pepper spray’ while filming Chicago protests

High Fidelity actor also pledged to ‘kick Trump’s loathsome Nazi ass out of the White House’

A compilation of some of the police brutality last night.

And the Scapegoating continues:

3 Likes

Did Hacktivist Group Anonymous Take Down Minneapolis PD Website?

2 Likes

The Police Don’t Change

A must read

The initial response of police leaders may have felt like progress, but video footage of police and protesters clashing in the streets reveals the truth: Officers are much closer to what we see in viral videos documenting their brutality than in the well-intentioned words of their leaders. Despite the shift in public statements, police haven’t changed since the protests of 2014 and 2015. As my colleague Julia Craven wrote on Saturday, this week has happened before.

4 Likes

Columbus Police Cordon Off Downtown As Curfew Kicks In

Hours before the city’s first night of curfew Saturday, Columbus Police dispersed downtown protestors following a day of contentious demonstrations over the killing of George Floyd. Police cars were parked on nearly every street, cordoning off the area and leaving the area empty.

Protesters marched peacefully that morning at the Ohio Statehouse, but the environment grew heated as Columbus Police sent tear gas into the crowds. By late afternoon, Gov. Mike DeWine had announced the deployment of the Ohio National Guard to the city, which would come under a 10 p.m. curfew.

Around 8 p.m., the streets around the Statehouse were eerily quiet except for the sound of helicopters circling overhead. Many protestors had moved by that point northward on High Street into the Short North.

Those left downtown were met with armored vehicles and a message blaring from a loudspeaker: "You must clear the area. Crowd control devices are going to be used against you. You must clear the area. Regardless of your purpose, you are subject to arrest."

Many protestors were met with that same message several blocks from High Street, and were unsure where to turn.

On the corner of Broad and High Streets, more than 50 police officers blocked the intersection, letting only police vehicles through.

Were these activists intentionally cornered as the police fired tear gas? WTF? None of this shit is ok. None of it.

3 Likes

Coral Gables, FL., where police took a knee with protesters.

3 Likes

:sob::sob::sob: the generational trauma 400 years in the making.

2 Likes

:pushpin: from last year worth referencing

3 Likes

From Trevor Noah, a South African describes the social contract that whites have laid on the blacks - from you must take what I tell you, and if you start to rebel - loot, shoot, etc then there are dire consequences.

Talks about all the machinations of embedded racial prejudice and the years of oppressive unfairness. :cry:

Each time the rage explodes, whites are again confronted with what this society really looks like. And the systemic racial profiling with the police, voting systems, with T’ers, the R’s and many unconscious MAGA types, and others continues to fill our jails, hospitals with our underserved black Americans.

18 minutes…very moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4amCfVbA_c

3 Likes

Some bipartisan motion…but always feels tone-deaf.
A bi-partisan commission??? within this administration, with a majority R Senate…does not seem like a great idea.

Best idea - VOTE

Lawmakers condemn Trump’s tweets and say they want to address protesters’ fears.

Members of Congress grasped on Sunday for any legislative actions they could take to address racist violence and excessive use of force by police forces.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said members of the House were looking at banning chokeholds, establishing a commission to study the status of black men in America and addressing the fact that black Americans have been disproportionately affected by the coronavirus.

Senator Cory Booker, Democrat of New Jersey, said his staff was preparing legislation to establish a national police misconduct database to prevent officers who are fired for misconduct from being hired by another department somewhere else.

And Senator Tim Scott, Republican of South Carolina, the only black Republican in the Senate, said he had urged President Trump to form a commission on race and justice.

“This is not like we don’t know what to do,” Mr. Booker said on “State of the Union.” “It’s that we have not manifested a collective will to get it done.”

In a rare moment of bipartisanship, lawmakers agreed that Mr. Trump was only inflaming the situation in the country with tweets threatening force against protesters.

Those are not constructive tweets, without any question,” Mr. Scott said on “Fox News Sunday.” He said he had urged Mr. Trump to focus instead on the “the unjustified, in my opinion, the criminal death of George Floyd.”

Representative Ilhan Omar, a Democrat who represents part of the Minneapolis area, said on ABC that Mr. Trump had “failed in really understanding the kind of pain and anguish many of his citizens are feeling.”

2 Likes

6 days of protest since Monday’s brutal police murder of George Floyd.

Here’s the score - 5 deaths…unrest, violence, looting, arrests, curfews,police brutality, press being targeted, Coronavirus exposures, pent up rage…and no one to steady the nation on top of a pandemic.

How did we get here…?

After the death of George Floyd on Monday, protests and unrest have rocked Minneapolis and other cities.

In cities across the United States, tens of thousands of people swarmed the streets on Saturday to express their outrage and sorrow during the day. That descended into a night of unrest with reports of shootings, looting and vandalism in some cities.

In Indianapolis, one person was killed and three others injured when a gunman fired at protesters. In Chicago, where people set businesses on fire, swung hammers and shovels and threw urine at police officers, six people were shot and one was killed on Saturday night during protests, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said.

In total, at least five people have been killed in violence connected to the protests.

By early Sunday morning in New York City, more than 345 people had been arrested, 33 officers injured and 47 police vehicles damaged or destroyed, with several of them set on fire, the police said.

1 Like