WTF Community

Who are your top Twitter follows for Politics?

Let’s make a list…

These individuals tend to post a lot about the Trump Administration with a large focus on the following topics below. I tried to limit each category to ~5 favorite people.

Footnotes at the bottom of this post will track updates and new additions: ¹,²

A. — Special Counsel Mueller’s Investigation on Trump & Russia:

• Amy Siskind @Amy_Siskind - LGBT and Women’s Rights activist recently named to The Politico 50 for 2017 who now maintains weekly lists summarizing political norms and other violations under the Trump Administration related to authoritarianism (the list is also now being archived by the Library of Congress).
  • Sarah Kendzior @sarahkendzior - Writer on politics, the economy, PhD in anthropology with focus on studying authoritarian states of former Soviet Union and how the internet affects political mobilization.
  • Caroline Orr @RVAwonk - Behavioral scientist, political analyst, & blogger for far-left news media ShareBlue. She often has interesting evidence-based twitter threads.
  • Renato Mariotti @renato_mariotti - Former Federal prosecutor who posts great explanations about the legal aspects/implications of activities by Trump, his lawyers, and WH aides.

B. — Law (Immigration, DACA, Sanctuary Cities, Travel Ban, etc.):

• Neal Katyal @neal_katyal - Former Acting Solicitor General of the U.S., Supreme Court lawyer, and Georgetown University Law Center professor who is currently a prosecutor against Trump’s travel ban and Jeff Sessions’ effort to defund “sanctuary cities”.
  • Preet Bharara @PreetBharara - Former Attorney General for the Southern District of New York, fired by Trump in June. He was working on the U.S. vs Prevezon Russian money laundering case—defended by the same Russian lawyer who organized the Donald Trump, Jr. meeting at Trump Tower last summer to allegedly deliver damaging info on Hillary Clinton and attempt to lift Russian sanctions. Bharara was also overseeing an investigation into current Health Secretary Tom Price’s suspicious stock trades.
  • Benjamin Wittes @benjaminwittes - Close friend of former FBI Director James Comey, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institute, and Chief Editor of LawfareBlog.
  • Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey - Managing Editor of Lawfare, Brookings Fellow in National Security Law, Former attorney in the Office of General Counsel of the National Security Agency.

C. — Ethics Violations (Trump Org & family financial conflicts of interest, lack of White House transparency, etc.):

• Richard Painter @RWPUSA - Law professor at University of Minnesota, Vice Chairman of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), and Former White House counsel for George W. Bush.
  • Norman Eisen @NormEisen - Also a chairman CREW, CNN commentator, Brookings Senior Fellow, former U.S. Ambassador to Prague, and former White House Ethics Czar under Obama.
  • ¹ Walter Shaub @waltshaub - Former Director of U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) who resigned in July due to Trump’s conflicts of interest and disregard for ethics oversight.

D. — Health Care:

• Andy Slavitt @ASlavitt - Former Acting Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) who ran Obamacare, now a think tank policy adviser and USA Today columnist.
  • Larry Levitt @larry_levitt - Senior VP at Kaiser Family Foundation.
  • Margot Sanger-Katz @sangerkatz - New York Times correspondent and reporter on health care.
  • Sarah Kliff @sarahkliff - Senior Health Policy Correspondent for Vox.
  • Judy Solomon @JudyCBPP and Edwin Park @EdwinCBPP- Vice Presidents of Health Policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

E. — Activists:

• ¹ Shannon Watts @shannonrwatts - Founder of Moms Demand Action, a grassroots group advocating gun control solutions to end gun violence.
  • ¹ Shannon Coulter @shannoncoulter - Co-founder of Grab Your Wallet, an organized movement to boycott companies that do business with the Trump family.
  • ¹ Sleeping Giants @slpng_giants - A group of online activists with the goal of stopping racism and sexism in the media. They inform advertisers to block “ad buys” from specific websites to prevent their brands from displaying next to offensive and inflammatory content. Over 2000 companies have since blocked sites like Breitbart (Steve Bannon’s media “platform for the alt-right”).

F. — Foreign Policy - North Korea, Japan, & Asia-Pacific Region (APAC)

• ¹ Jeffrey Lewis @ArmsControlWonk - Director of the East Asia Nonproliferation Program at Middlebury Institute. Expert on nuclear nonproliferation, international security, disarmament, and arms control.
  • ¹ Anna Fifield @annafifield - Tokyo bureau chief of The Washington Post with a focus on Japan and Korea.
  • ¹ Mira Rapp-Hooper @MiraRappHooper - Adjunct Senior Fellow at the Center for a New American Security in D.C. Expert on Asia-Pacific security issues, nuclear deterrence, strategy, policy, and alliance politics. Former Asia Policy Coordinator for Hillary’s 2016 campaign.
  • ¹ Ankit Panda @nktpnd - Senior Editor for The Diplomat based in NYC. Writes about global security, defense, and politics with a focus on Asia-Pacific.
  • ¹ Dr. Mark Barry @DrMarkPBarry - Lecturer in Management and Political Science at Barrytown College in New York. Focused on U.S.-North Korea relations.

G. — Foreign Policy - Middle East

• ² Colin Kahl @ColinKahl - Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for the Middle East under Obama and National Security Advisor to Biden.
  • ² Laura Rozen @lrozen - Journalist for @AlMonitor, a news publication focusing on the Middle East and North Africa.
  • ² Michael Weiss @michaeldweiss - National Security Analyst for CNN and co-author of ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror.
  • ² Hend Amry @LibyaLiberty - Libya-American writer and artist living in Qatar. Often posts about issues affecting Muslims.
  • ² Louisa Loveluck @leloveluck - Washington Post reporter in Beirut, Lebanon. Often posts about ISIS and Syria.

H. — Voting Rights Issues (gerrymandering, election tampering, voter ID laws, etc.):

• ² Dale Ho @dale_e_ho - Director of Voting Rights Project at ACLU.
  • ² Ari Berman @AriBerman - Investigative journalist for Mother Jones. Posts primarily about Voting Rights Act and Trump’s sham “Election Integrity Commission” led by Kris Kobach, Pence, and others.
  • ² Greg Palast @Greg_Palast - Former investigative journalist, economist, and author who reported on the purge of voter rolls in Florida by Governor Jeb Bush in the 2000 U.S. election of George W. Bush, who won the state by only 537 votes.
  • ² Jennifer Cohn @jennycohn1 - Lawyer and self-described “Twitter activist” who posts about election system security and voting machine vulnerabilities.
  • ² Let America Vote @letamericavote - A grassroots organization founded by @JasonKander, former Missouri Secretary of State, to fight voter suppression.

Updates:
¹ Edited September 19, 2017. Sections: C.) Ethics, E.) Activists, F.) Foreign Policy–Asia.
² Edited September 20, 2017. Sections: G.) Foreign Policy—MidEast, H.) Voting Rights.

5 Likes

I have a Twitter list (that’s public) that I call “news smarts” – over time, I’ve carefully complied people I’ve found to be the best for breaking news or good analysis. 9 out of 10 times any breaking news, etc I come across in this list before it even makes it to the “trending” section (which I always use to rely on to get updates – but now, that’s my second stop!).

Anyone can subcribe here to the list here: https://twitter.com/mouseam/lists/news-smarts1

Also, a good follow for Trump/Russia breaking news is Benjamin Wittes - in particular look for the “BOOM!” Baby Cannon tweets, those are articles with significance to Trump/Russia.

1 Like

Oh, and @matt - the WTFJHT twitter handle is on the list! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Vann Newkirk @fivefifths: writes for the Atlantic on health care and civil rights, makes fun of Mike Pence’s hems
Stacy-Marie Ishmael @s_m_i: analyzes relationships between tech, social media, and traditional media and is fucking done with your fake viral posts

2 Likes

I’m sure many of you have heard about the mysterious Comey twitter account.

Well, this morning it was confirmed that Reinhold Niebuhr (@FormerBu) is, in fact, James Comey.

Should be an interesting twitter follow, to say the least… :thinking:

4 Likes

I forgot how incredible this list is.

Found this last night via @alt_uscis

I refuse to give her an actual link (this link above is to Alt-Immigration’s tweet, which was also just a screenshot) for traffic or retweets, but every so often she gives me a good, if usually bitter, laugh.

Guess I should add the @alt_uscis account to the list for regular following, too.

HA HA HA. She’s the fucking worst. I regret falling for her shtick when I was emotional and vulnerable after the election. What an assclown.

2 Likes

LOL. I found out yesterday I’m blocked by her :joy: I’ve had her on mute for months, also I never respond to anything she’s mentioned in and don’t even use her full name…so I found it quite amusing.

Hell yeah–you on…THE LIST muahaha! I read she uses block apps, or whatever it is that can apparently block the ppl simply following ppl she’s blocked, but who the fuck knows.

And srsly she is good at what she does, fooled countless ppl before the double-agency crazy started showing thru. I was fucking confused for a while too ffs, and I still see some who I think should know better wrapped around her finger.

Bruce Bartlett - especially now with the tax agenda in process… I had no idea that he regularly tears Trump a new one on twitter…

LOL. Welp, @FormerBu is now @Comey and verified (blue check mark and all)!

LM is wrong…again.

Seth Abramson

2 Likes

Seth is great! His threads just kill me…he once had +200 tweets in a single thread (yes that’s two zeros, not a typo). I feel like his average is like 50 per thread. :laughing: It’s like at some point just write an article on medium and post it with maybe a few tweets of the highlights.

I wish Seth would actually cite all his sources. It’s a lot of quasi-reporting and inference, which really unfortunate.

1 Like

Add SEth abramson to the legal list