WTF Community

Who The Fuck Has Sued The Trump Administration

Thanks @dragonfly9 I’ve added it to the record!

///

New Suit (September 20, 2018):

The New York Times Company

vs.

Federal Communications Commission

Concerning: Net Neutrality Laws

Source: Ars Technica

Current Record Count: 21

2 Likes

A first here, the Administration suing someone else!

///

New Suit (September 30, 2018):

The United States of America

vs.

The State of California, Edmund Gerald Brown Jr. (Governor of California) and Xavier Becerra (Attorney General of California)

Concerning: Net Neutrality Laws

Source: The Verge

Current Record Count: 22

///

Also an update:

9/28/2018 Judge Denies Trump’s Request to Dismiss Emoluments Lawsuit (NY Times)

4 Likes

You have this one listed #20 New York V. Commerce Dept. Re: CItizenship Q’s

Learning that what Ross said under oath about his conversations is contradicted here.

Wilbur Ross Discloses Bannon Chat, Apparently Contradicting What He Told Congress
By Andrew M Harris
and Chris Dolmetsch
October 11, 2018, 1:44 PM PDT Updated on October 11, 2018, 5:39 PM PDT

Wilbur Ross spoke with Steve Bannon, President Donald Trump’s former chief strategist, before including on the 2020 census a question about people’s citizenship, the Justice Department said in a court document that appears to contradict what the commerce secretary told Congress.

The disclosure came in a lawsuit by more than a dozen states, cities and advocacy groups seeking to block the U.S. from asking the question, claiming it’s discriminatory and designed to reduce the accuracy of the count by cutting participation. The Justice Department’s filing, which was posted online Thursday by the New York Attorney General’s office, was in response to questions from the plaintiffs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-11/wilbur-ross-spoke-to-steve-bannon-on-census-citizenship-query

3 Likes

much appreciated @dragonfly9, I’ve added an update along with the following:

10/08/2018 Motion to Dismiss “Cockrum v. Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.” (The Atlantic) - new to record

10/11/2018 Defendant Objections and Responses to Interrogatories in “New York v. U.S. Department of Commerce” (Bloomberg) - thanks again @dragonfly9!

10/15/2018 Judge dismisses “Stephanie Clifford v. Donald J. Trump” (Politico)

Current Record Count: 22

1 Like

New Suit (October 16, 2018):

PEN American Center, Inc.

vs.

Donald J. Trump (President of the United States)

Concerning: Constitution Violations

Source: Fortune

Current Record Count: 23

5 Likes

@Eliwood

This is another one…they got the go ahead (standing.)

A federal judge on Friday gave the go-ahead to a lawsuit filed by nearly 200 congressional Democrats against President Donald Trump alleging he has violated the Constitution by doing business with foreign governments while in office.

The lawsuit, which was led by Sen. Richard Blumenthal is based on the Constitution’s emoluments clause, which bars presidents from taking payments from foreign states. Trump’s business, which he still owns, has hosted foreign embassy events and visiting foreign officials at its downtown District of Columbia hotel.

3 Likes

@ariberman. (Writes on voting issues Mother Jones)

Wilbur Ross repeatedly lied to Congress about why he added citizenship question to Census but SCOTUS is shielding him from answering questions in deposition under oath https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1054529454855340032

BREAKING: #SCOTUS Halts Deposition Of Commerce Secretary In Challenge To Census Citizenship Question, Allows Deposition of DOJ Official To Proceed: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/chrisgeidner/supreme-court-halts-commerce-secretary-deposition-census https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1054529454855340032/photo/1

4 Likes

More from Ari Berman about Wilbur Ross status and his not having to testify about the controversial question on Citizenship.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross will not have to testify under oath about why he added a controversial question about US citizenship to the 2020 census, after the Supreme Court blocked a federal court ruling requiring Ross to sit for a deposition in an ongoing lawsuit over the question.

On September 21, Judge Jesse Furman of the Southern District of New York ordered, “Secretary Ross must sit for a deposition because, among other things, his intent and credibility are directly at issue in these cases.” The Second Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed that ruling, but Monday night, the Supreme Court issued a stay, sparing Ross from answering questions under oath and handing the Trump administration an initial victory in a critical case.

The census has not asked respondents about their citizenship status since 1950. Civil rights groups say the citizenship question will depress response rates from immigrants, imperil the accuracy of the census, and shift political power to areas with fewer immigrants. The census determines how $675 billion in federal funding is allocated, how much representation states receive, and how political districts are drawn.

The plaintiffs challenging the citizenship question, which include New York and 16 other states as well as the American Civil Liberties Union, wanted to depose Ross because documents released as part of the lawsuit suggest Ross has made numerous false statements about the origins of the citizenship question and why he added it to the census.

Ross, who oversees the census, approved the citizenship question in March because he said the Justice Department needed it for “more effective enforcement” of the Voting Rights Act. He subsequently testified before Congress that the Justice Department had “initiated” the request.

However, Ross repeatedly lobbied the Justice Department to add the citizenship question, not the other way around. In a May 2017 email to Ross, a senior Commerce Department official named Earl Comstock wrote, “We need to work with Justice to get them to request that citizenship be added back as a census question.” Ross wrote in response he had “inquired whether the Department of Justice would support, and if so would request, inclusion of a citizenship question.” Comstock wrote to Ross in September 2017, “Justice staff did not want to raise the question given the difficulties Justice was encountering in the press at the time (the whole Comey matter).”

3 Likes

More bad publicity for Trump and his family – good timing just before the midterms. Hope the major news sites pick this up soon.

President Donald Trump is accused in a lawsuit of misleading investors who lost money in a multi-level marketing company he endorsed in speeches and on “The Celebrity Apprentice.”

The suit filed by four investors says Trump violated federal anti-racketeering law and is seeking class-action status.

Translations:

Here’s the filing – 164 pages. The first few pages make interesting reading, laying out the allegations. I think I’ll skip the rest and wait for some astute legal analysts in the media to sort out the details.

Case 1:18-cv-09936 Document 1 Filed 10/29/18

One thing to keep in mind: civil suits often dredge up nefarious acts that result in criminal charges – for example, the original civil allegations against Michael Cohen drew the attention of the Feds who then indicted him. In other words, this civil RICO case against the Trump family could trigger a criminal RICO case against them.

UPDATE: Good, the NYT has picked this up – and has done a good job digging deeper into the allegations.

The 160-page complaint alleges that Mr. Trump and his family received secret payments from three business entities in exchange for promoting them as legitimate opportunities, when in reality they were get-rich-quick schemes that harmed investors, many of whom were unsophisticated and struggling financially.

Those business entities were ACN, a telecommunications marketing company that paid Mr. Trump millions of dollars to endorse its products; the Trump Network, a vitamin marketing enterprise; and the Trump Institute, which the suit said offered “extravagantly priced multiday training seminars” on Mr. Trump’s real estate “secrets.”

I knew about Trump’s horrible steaks, but I’d never heard of his shady vitamins. Wow, he truly is the Grifter-in-Chief.

4 Likes

Good luck on that dismissal…
I think the legal brain power on this lawsuit alone makes it unlikely but when the real tax records come to light… DT will be wishing he stayed in his tower!

1 Like

Happy Election Day, good time for updates.

Added: Lawsuit Update (New To Record) (October 31, 2018):

Summer Zervos vs. Donald J. Trump
Concerning: Defamation
Update: Discovery Update

Trump agrees to turn over his calendar in Summer Zervos defamation suit (via Washington Post)

Updated: Lawsuit update (November 2, 2018):

District of Columbia v. Trump
Update: Motion to Dismiss denied, Discovery to proceed

Trump suffers another defeat in emoluments case over profits he’s collected in office (via Daily Kos)

Added: New Suit To Record (October 12, 2018):

Al Otro Lado v. Nielsen
Update: Amended Complaint filed

These two lawsuits are challenging Trump’s barbaric border policies (via Daily Kos)

Added: New Suit To Record (October 29, 2018):

4 Anonymous Plaintiffs v. Donald J. Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization
Concerning: Fraud
Update: Lawsuit Filed

Trump Persuaded Struggling People to Invest in Scams, Lawsuit Says (via New York Times)

Current Record Count: 26

Notes:

Thanks for the posts @dragonfly9 - I couldn’t figure out what suit that Blumenthal-Led Lawsuit article is in reference to so I can’t add it to the list (if I don’t already have it). Honestly it’s very frustrating when the Post/NY Times/etc. write about a lawsuit but don’t link to the filing.

Thanks for the post on the fraud case @Keaton_James and many thanks for finding the filing, those are usually a chore to find!

Finally, can I ask how you insert those fancy page links that show the source name and the cover photo?

2 Likes

THanks @Eliwood for all your updates, and attention to keeping the records straight.

And yes - Happy :rofl: or Sad :unamused: Mid Terms…Hard to know now 6:45P PST/9:45P EST

Is this it??? (Googled Blumenthal v Trump) - I did not double check what you already had…

Note: As for getting the Picture/box etc, you just go to the browser’s top line - and copy link - on Mozilla there are three dots I press and it copies the link for me, and then I paste it into the center of this comment area. You need to leave enough space between your writing and your links. And it may be that you are also adding the " marks, which sets the information into a block quote. That may hinder the creation of the link’s box creation etc. Am guessing though.

Here’s another lawsuit - CNN sues Trump over the WH removing CNN reporter Jim Acosta’s WH badge. Suit sues, Donald Trump, Bill Shine, (Comm head) John Kelly, Sarah Sanders to name those who orchestrated the removal of Acosta’s badge.

CNN on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump and top administration officials demanding that correspondent Jim Acosta’s access to the White House be restored, a dramatic turn in the president’s years-long battle with the press that sets up a court fight over the First Amendment.

“While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone,” CNN said in announcing the lawsuit, which asks for a restraining order requiring that Acosta’s security credentials be returned. “If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”

3 Likes

Maryland seeks an injunction from the US Government over the appointment of Whitaker, instead of Rod Rosenstein.

Now, Mr. Whitaker’s appointment is facing a court challenge. The State of Maryland asked a federal judge on Tuesday for an injunction declaring that Mr. Whitaker is not the legitimate acting attorney general as a matter of law, and that the position — and all its powers — instead rightfully belongs to the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein.

Mr. Trump may not “bypass the constitutional and statutory requirements for appointing someone to that office,” the state said in a court filing.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/486-state-of-maryland-challenge-to/6ef94e5387c778dd921f/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

3 Likes

And this one - from three Senate Judicary members regarding the appointment of Matt Whitaker, as Acting AG.

2 Likes

@ellwood - a whole lot of litigation listed here.

2 Likes

A step in the right direction…barring the question about citizenship on the 2020 census is struck. For now.

Judge bars citizenship question from 2020 Census

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge in New York has barred the Trump administration from adding a question about citizenship to the 2020 census.

U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman said Tuesday that while such a question would be constitutional, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had added it arbitrarily and not followed proper procedure.

The ruling came in a case in which a dozen states or big cities and immigrants’ rights groups argued that adding the question might frighten immigrant households away from participating in the census.

The decision won’t be the final word on the matter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-bars-citizenship-2020-census-150010751.html

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Oh hey, it’s been a while. I’ve been busy but no less interested by the legal troubles of the administration. I’m currently in the process of updating my records here. I’ll update again once I’m caught up.

3 Likes