WTF Community

WTF is... The Girls That Never Die

Welcome to Who The Fuck Is The Resistance, an interview series highlighting what the WTFJHT community is doing to resist and exist.

The Girls That Never Die

Who are you?
My name is Jessica Miller and I’m the director of the Girls That Never Die music video, by singer and songwriter Emily Bell, who provided the overall vision and production of the video.

What are you doing?
The Girls That Never Die music video features the men and women who march for progress. Throughout time, they are the heart of this story; affirming that though women have come a long way, we still have much further to go.

Where can people can find you?
You can find my portfolio here. Below is the music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTScQW6f3Oo&feature=youtu.be

When did you start?
We started shooting on January 21st during the Women’s March and worked on editing a few versions over the following months. We then released the video on June 23rd, right before Emily Bell began touring her new album.

Why are you doing this?
As a documentary filmmaker, I’ve been looking to direct a short, feminist-centric project, and when this opportunity was presented to me, I knew this was what I had been waiting for.

How did you get started?
Our original concept was to crowdsource the footage in the video from diverse groups of everyday protesters. I wanted to combine real people’s different experiences from as many marches as possible.

I reached out to hundreds of official Women’s March partner organizations to send footage from their perspectives. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, most of the footage was unusable.

Instead, I used amazing footage from 15 different professional cinematographers who were at marches all over the world. We also tried to incorporate a performance shoot of Emily singing, but it felt fake and inappropriate amongst the real march footage.

How do you fight political fatigue?
Light hearted recaps or satires like The Daily Show.

What are your three favorite books or websites you use to stay informed?

4 Likes

Holy fuck this is great! Did we just become best friends? :wink:

2 Likes