WTF Community

🗳 2020 General Election - Trump vs Biden

Here’s a link to a message from Obama saying to be aware of the Channel 4 News dump

and the link to the Channel 4 News revelations…There are a couple videos I believe. @Windthin already has listed here (but I can not find it) :blush:

3 Likes

I did but I can’t find it either. I’ve watched it, though, and read the articles, and it’s wild stuff.

3 Likes

Watch Party!!

3 Likes

Early surge of Democratic mail voting sparks worry inside GOP

Of the more than 9 million voters who requested mail ballots through Monday in Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Maine and Iowa, the five battleground states where such data is publicly available, 52 percent were Democrats. Twenty eight percent were Republicans and 20 percent were unaffiliated.

Additional internal Democratic and Republican Party data obtained by The Washington Post shows a similar trend in Ohio, Minnesota, New Hampshire and Wisconsin.

Even more alarming to some Republicans, Democrats are also returning their ballots at higher rates than GOP voters in two of those states where that information is available: Florida and North Carolina.

3 Likes

Ok…that is great news.

3 Likes

ICYMI: Round One of the 2020 Debates

4 Likes

Another Trump lie gets shot down by the “Portland sheriff.”

I hope his deputy weighs in also.
3 Likes

The first post-debate polls say Biden won

To get a better picture of how this will affect the race, though, we’ll have to wait longer.

To get a methodologically rigorous look at who “won” the first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden — if winning is defined as helping their presidential campaign’s chances — you’ll have to wait a bit longer.

The indicators we have right now are necessarily incomplete and limited; they’re focus groups of tiny, handpicked samples of undecided voters, or polls of people who watched the debate rather than the electorate at large, or just pundits making stuff up. Plus, the true impact of a debate is often determined in the spin war fought in the hours and days afterward.

Keeping these limitations in mind, overall those preliminary findings so far look better for Biden.

CBS News and YouGov have been tracking respondents in battleground states, and they were able to quickly contact some of those respondents and ask those who watched the Tuesday debate what they thought. Overall, 48 percent said Biden won the debate, while 41 percent said Trump won, and 10 percent said it was a tie. As CBS elections and survey director Anthony Salvanto pointed out on air, this was pretty close to the support for each candidate going in.

Kabir Khanna of the CBS News Election and Survey Unit also points out that 42 percent of debate watchers said they thought worse of Trump afterward, and 24 percent said they thought better of him. In contrast, 32 percent said they thought worse of Biden, while 38 percent thought better of him.

CNN and SSRS also conducted an instant poll of debate watchers, and they found a more lopsided margin in Biden’s favor. Sixty percent of their respondents thought Biden won, while 28 percent thought Trump won.

Then we have the focus groups. Republican pollster Frank Luntz convened a focus group of 16 purportedly undecided voters from swing states, and in general they had kinder things to say about Biden’s performance than Trump’s.

Asked to describe Trump in one word or phrase, the responses were: “horrid,” “chaotic,” “unpolished,” “crackhead,” “ehh,” “puzzling,” “un-American,” “unhinged,” “an ass, but a confident ass,” “classic Trump,” “forceful,” “unhinged,” “bully,” “arrogant,” arrogant,” “typical.”

Then, asked to describe Biden, the responses were: “I was surprised at how well he did,” “better than expected,” “definitely more professional than Trump and I think he’s more a people person,” “competent,” “politician,” “showed restraint and compassion,” “politician,” “predictable,” “nice guy but lacking vision,” “coherent,” “leader,” “attentive and rehearsed,” “somewhat evasive,” “humanity and integrity,” “predictable,” “presidential.”

CNN convened its own focus group of undecided voters in Ohio, and most of them said that neither Biden nor Trump won the debate (there were about a dozen, and one said Biden won while two said Trump won).

The bigger picture, of course, is that Trump is currently losing to Biden, according to all the pre-debate polls. So even something like a draw in the debate would effectively be a win for Biden. Trump needed a strong performance to dramatically reshape the race, and the early indications are that he didn’t get that.

2 Likes

All that for 6% of viewers? Amazing, I wonder what percentage of that 6% turned it off after the first five minutes watching the President yell at the former Vice President. That debate made all politics look bad. Is this the bottom yet because the next step on this path scares me.

5 Likes

The master debaters in charge of the debates are discussing giving the moderator the power to cut Trump’s mic to maintain order.

Pelosi: Turning off Trump’s mic at the debate would have been the ‘simple thing to do’

Pelosi also said it was a “sad night for our country” because Trump refused to “disassociate himself from white supremacists.”

Trump-Biden debate was marred by interruptions. Should mics have been cut?

Would cutting off mics fix the presidential debates?

There were a number of calls to give moderators more control during last night’s rancorous first debate between President Trump and Joe Biden.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/cutting-off-mics-would-it-fix-presidential-debates/85-4b0ffc24-af5e-4b7d-9971-62419af44d18

No, Chris Wallace Couldn’t Mute Trump’s Mic Yesterday

2 Likes

Wow.

3 Likes

I had to miss the debate last night, I saw a clip or two but I’m not sure it’s worth bothering with the whole thing. Trump shit the bed and that’s not new, but I guess this time it was long form enough that his press sec will have a harder time keeping up.

Seems a lot more people are becoming familiar with the term “gish gallop.”

3 Likes

It was intense but unless you want to watch it for the absolute shitshow that it was, I would advise you to not. You didn’t miss anything important, believe me.

3 Likes

I know some people were mad at Biden for not going into policy more, and like… why. What would actually be the point of that? Trump didn’t go there to debate policy. He went to shit on the floor and make people think Biden did it. Literally Biden’s only job was to sit there and look dignified, sane, and like he had at least a few answers, and my impression is that he did that well enough to create the contrast he needed to.

I think if Trump listens to advisors anymore he’ll make up a reason to sit the next one out.

3 Likes

Wow $31.5 million one-day haul for Biden-Harris in ONE day -during and post-debate. That is a big bump for their campaign and points to momentum. :moneybag:

3 Likes

More articles on the madness of the debate:

Chris Wallace Calls Debate ‘a Terrible Missed Opportunity’

The veteran anchor conceded he was initially “reluctant” to step in during the Trump-Biden matchup. “I’ve never been through anything like this,” he said.

At Least 73 Million People Watched “Shit Show” Trump-Biden Debate

Ratings for the first debate between the president and his opponent, Joe Biden, dropped sharply compared to the numbers Trump and Hillary Clinton drew in 2016.

“This Is So Unpresidential”: Notes from the Worst Debate in American History

Trump talked and talked on Tuesday night, but, politically speaking, it added up to nothing.

That Was Not a Debate. That Was a Warning. This Nation Is Not Well.

Trump is scared sh**less: He can’t handle the truth, so he wouldn’t let Biden talk

Trump’s no strongman: He’s a coward who listens to no one and hides behind the fascists he urges to “stand by”

Donald Trump Is America’s Abusive Father

The debate was hard to watch because abuse is hard to watch.

Eight Things That Were Somehow Not Takeaways From the Debate Because Everything Else Was So Deranged

Tuesday night’s presidential debate was instantly received as a milestone in political history: a debate driven off the rails by the frantic obnoxiousness of Donald Trump, as the president compulsively interrupted Joe Biden and moderator Chris Wallace again and again, while seeming to be speaking only to a base of far-right supporters rather than the country as a whole. To support this account of the central themes and implications of the president’s behavior, political journalism has focused in on a few shocking moments—chief among them Trump’s apparent endorsement of the far-right, street-fighting Proud Boys and his debate-ending rant declaring that the entire election would be untrustworthy and riddled with fraud.

But the traditional practice of summarizing and epitomizing presidential debates did not do justice to how comprehensively, baroquely unhinged the president’s performance was. Trump filled the night with remarks—many of them delivered as offhand asides—that would have been shocking enough to dominate the next-day coverage had they happened anytime before 2016. In the maelstrom of 2020, though, claims that would once have ranked among the most appalling, dishonest, misinformed, or simply bizarre things ever said by a major-party presidential candidate passed largely unremarked. Here are eight of them!

The two most relevant scientific officials in Trump’s own administration are wrong about when a coronavirus vaccine will be ready, according to Trump. Moderator Chris Wallace asked Trump why he has been saying a vaccine is weeks away, despite the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the director of the White House’s “Operation Warp Speed” vaccine task force both saying one will likely not be ready to distribute widely until next summer. “I’ve spoken to the companies, and we can have it a lot sooner,” said the president, whose background is in real estate marketing. “I disagree with both of them.”

Insulin is nearly free now. When Wallace pointed out correctly that Trump has never proposed a replacement for the Affordable Care Act health care system that he is always trying to eliminate, Trump responded that he is “cutting drug prices,” then said the following: “Insulin, it was destroying families, destroying people, the cost. I’m getting it for so cheap it’s like water, you want to know the truth. So cheap.” According to the medical news site Stat, “insulin still retails for roughly $300 a vial.” Trump, Stat says, was likely referring to a limited price-cap plan his administration has put in place that covers “a fraction of seniors enrolled in certain pricey private insurance plans.”

Cars are too expensive because they have too many computers in them. “The car has gotten so expensive because they have computers all over the place,” Trump said, during a discussion of rolling back fuel-efficiency standards. I could not find any coverage online of excessive computer insertion driving car prices up. Additionally, Trump’s related claim that relaxing fuel-efficiency standards will make cars cheaper runs into the reality that if you buy a cheaper car with lower fuel efficiency you end up spending more on gas; Consumer Reports calculated that Trump’s rollbacks will end up costing consumers an average of $2,100 per new car purchased.

Europeans live in fireproof forest cities. Trump denied that the ongoing West Coast wildfires are related to climate change and said they wouldn’t be happening if Americans, like the Europeans who live in “forest cities,” were more vigilant about forest management. “In Europe, they live—they’re forest cities, they’re called forest cities. They maintain their forest. They manage their forest. I was with the head of a major country—it’s a forest city. He said, ‘Sir, we have trees that are far more, they ignite much easier than California. There shouldn’t be that problem.’ ” It’s not clear which head of a “country” that is also a “forest city” the president was referring to, but in 2018, he baffled officials in Finland by asserting that they prevent forest fires by raking the forest floor. Elsewhere, Trump has made clear that what he means by “forest management” is giving more permits to the logging industry; you can click here to read a 2018 Slate article about why that is unlikely to help.

A note on this crazy bit here: one of Trump’s big tells that he is lying is when he tells a story where somebody calls him “sir,”

The numbers on his own tax returns are wrong. The New York Times reported Sunday that it had obtained years of Trump’s long-concealed tax returns, and that, among other things, they show that he paid $750 in income taxes each year in 2016 and 2017. Although Trump called the blockbuster report “fake news,” the White House objected to the story by talking about other kinds of taxes Trump had paid, or income tax Trump had paid in other years, rather than by directly disputing the authenticity of the documents or the validity of the central $750 figure.

Trump at first tried the same deflection when Wallace asked him whether he’d really only paid $750. When the moderator kept pressing him specifically about the number, though, Trump finally directly denied it.

WALLACE: No, Mr. President, I’m asking you a question. Will you tell us how much you paid in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017?

TRUMP: Millions of dollars.

WALLACE: You paid millions of dollars in—

TRUMP: Millions of dollars, yes.

WALLACE: So not $750?

TRUMP: Millions of dollars. And you’ll get to see it. And you’ll get to see it.

Is there a distant possibility that the New York Times spent months examining apparently authentic tax documents and got the most important number in their story wrong? I guess. Way, way, way more likely is that the president lied on live national television about the central fact in what had been the No. 1 story in the week’s news cycle.

The president can, and should, order the extrajudicial assassination of U.S. citizens. On the subject of protests and accompanying violence—a pet theme of the Trump reelection campaign—Wallace set out to press Biden on whether he was reluctant to call out the National Guard. When Biden argued that Trump’s federal interventions in Portland, Oregon, had made things worse, Trump jumped in to boast about his performance: “I sent in the U.S. Marshals to get the killer of a young man in the middle of the street, and they shot him. For three days, Portland didn’t do anything. I sent in the U.S. Marshals, they took care of business.” The “business” the president was referring to was the killing of Michael Forest Reinoehl, a suspect in the shooting of a far-right protester in Portland. After initial reports that Reinoehl had died in a gun battle with the authorities, one witness told reporters he was “clutching a cellphone and eating a gummy worm” when the marshals opened fire on him without warning.

Say what???

Taking status away from white people is an upsetting “reversal.” Here is Trump describing what is wrong with training programs in which white people are asked to consider the ways they may have benefited from and contributed to systemic racism:

WALLACE: What is radical about racial sensitivity training, sir?

TRUMP: If you were a certain person, you had no status in life, it was, sort of, a reversal.

???. This was, according to Trump, one of the reasons he should be reelected:

The greatest, before COVID came in, the greatest economy in history, lowest unemployment numbers, everything was good. Everything was going—and by the way, there was unity going to happen. People were calling me, for the first time in years, they were calling and they were saying, ‘It’s time, maybe.’ And then what happened? We got hit.

Time for what? And who was calling ? Unfortunately, we will never know, because we got hit.

Police shot Portland slaying suspect without warning or trying to arrest him first, witness says

4 Likes

Generally articles like this one fail to take into account that Joe Biden is centrist only within the Democratic Party not necessarily to the entire American political spectrum. Joe’s biggest asset is his ability to build common ground and bring people together. He’s a Party candidate through and through. Like Pelosi, they will pass anything progressive policy we want, there just needs to be a supportive Democratic majority. It’s a big tent Party, so I know how frustrating that kind of politics can be, however that doesn’t mean consensus is out of reach that just means we have to talk each other more and about each other less.

3 Likes

Memory sticks used to program Philly’s voting machines were stolen from elections warehouse

A laptop and several memory sticks used to program Philadelphia’s voting machines were stolen from a city warehouse in East Falls, officials confirmed Wednesday, setting off a scramble to investigate and to ensure the machines had not been compromised.

Though it remains unclear when the equipment was stolen, sources briefed on the investigation said the items vanished this week. The laptop belonged to an on-site employee for the company that supplies the machines. It and the USB drives were the only items believed to have been taken.

City officials vowed Wednesday that the theft would not disrupt voting on Nov. 3.

“We are confident,” said Nick Custodio, a deputy to Lisa Deeley, chair of the city commissioners, who oversee elections, “that this incident will not in any way compromise the integrity of the election.”

But behind the scenes, they fretted about how President Donald Trump and his allies might use the news to cast doubt on the integrity of the city’s elections in light of false claims and conspiracy theories he cited during Tuesday’s presidential debate.

The commissioners initially refused to confirm the theft or that an investigation had been opened. They only did so after The Inquirer informed them it would be reporting the incident based on sources who were not authorized to publicly discuss it.

2 Likes

He is out of his mind, and nobody in his regime of toadies and creeps will tell him so.

3 Likes

Also:

Maine court cites voter fraud concern in ruling against push for ballot harvesting, extending absentee deadline

The court maintained a requirement for all ballots to be received by Election Day

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/maine-court-voter-fraud-ruling-against-ballot-harvest-deadline-extension
https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/politics/elections/court-rules-in-favor-of-maine-sec-of-state-over-extending-absentee-voting-deadline/97-b1eb67b6-11da-4f23-bd9b-93e79721435b

3 Likes