WTF Community

šŸ¤® Coronavirus (Community Thread)

Trump is really pushing this drug cocktail, but heā€™s not the only one. More and more outlets are posting hopeful stories of it, but I remain wary, given the past history of such ā€œbreakthroughsā€ often falling short.

2 Likes

I took down my thread about Trumpā€™s ā€œmiracle cureā€ of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin because people kept attacking that part and not reading the thread through. Frustrating.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1242150258014027781

The GOP just smuggled another awful provision into the stimulus

4 Likes

ā€œOn Monday, the Italian doctors association FNOMCEO said 24 doctors had died. A total of 4,824 health operators have been infected, according to Italyā€™s Higher Health Institute (ISS).ā€ https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/23/coronavirus-latest-news/

4 Likes

Trump Bets Business Will Answer Call to Fight Virus, but Strategy Bewilders Firms

It remains unclear if the effort to enlist companies like General Motors, Apple and Hanes constitutes an effective strategy.

BBC News - Coronavirus: PM announces strict new curbs on life in UK

5 Likes

FFS

3 Likes

@Windthin

One more for ya

Trump told people to drink poison and they did.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1242098837667352580

5 Likes

OMG. Reminds me of Jim Jones! It really is a cult.:scream:

6 Likes

T is off the rails in his press conference - suggesting that in ONE week everyone can travel, go back to school, work etc and that it would be up to the Governors.

He is speaking what he wants to believeā€¦that of course the Stock Exchange is WAAAAY more important than protecting Americans. Unreal.

Washington Post reporter

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1242227879204868105?s=20

PBS

CNN fact checker

NBC Reporter

Bloomberg writer

PBS

CNN and Former CBS
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1242228291798478851?s=20

3 Likes

NYT reporter

3 Likes

So letā€™s try this again. A thread looking at Trumpā€™s miracle cure of chloroquine / hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin, and why even on the off chance it does work he is not doing enough to implement it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1242214562377555968

3 Likes

A couple of weeks ago, Italyā€™s outbreak did not seem so severe, with 107 deaths on March 4. But things were already rapidly getting worse; by March 10, more than 600 people were dead, and now more than 3,400 are. That makes Italy the epicenter of coronavirus fatalities in the world, with more deaths than even China, where the outbreak started. Hospitals have been pushed to the breaking point, with doctors and nurses without adequate protective equipment collapsing at work and other doctors reporting that patients wonā€™t all get lifesaving care because there isnā€™t enough of it to go around.

Whatā€™s scary about Italyā€™s experience is that Italy wasnā€™t exactly passive in its response to the virus. The country did act, quarantining a dozen towns in northern regions on February 23, urging the public to engage in social distancing, and ordering the closure of all schools nationwide on March 4.

But case numbers kept growing. On March 8, Italy locked down the north of the country, and on March 9 it extended the lockdown to the whole country. Itā€™s not clear even that was sufficient to stem the growth of cases, which grew by 6,557 on March 22 and 5,560 on March 23. It is possible the lockdown will start to produce a drop in cases this week. Itā€™s also possible even the lockdown wasnā€™t enough ā€” experts from China have argued it needs to be stricter.

Italy has been devastated by the virus because the action it took was just a little too moderate, a little too restrained, and a little too slow. The country took measures that were substantial and costly but nonetheless insufficient to actually bring the epidemic to a halt.

5 Likes

I am sure this will end well.

FDA Suspends Routine Food Inspections Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

About 77 percent of the U.S. food supply is regulated by the FDA

4 Likes

So there this isā€¦wonder why they didnā€™t listen to the social distancing requestsā€¦?

At least five students from the University of Tampa have tested positive for coronavirus after traveling with other students from the school for spring break, the university announced on Twitter. This comes after crowds of spring-breakers in Florida were criticized for ignoring social distancing guidelines and packing beaches in complete disregard of the potential risk.

University of Tampa announced on Friday that it learned that one student, who resides off-campus, tested positive for the virus. Just a day later, the school confirmed that five students, who were part of a larger group traveling together during spring break, had tested positive.

UT has been notified that five UT students, traveling together and with other UT students during Spring Break, have tested positive for COVID-19. We sincerely wish our students, and any others who may be affected, a full and rapid recovery. http://www.ut.edu/coronavirus

ā€” The University of Tampa (@UofTampa) March 21, 2020

The school moved all of its classes to online instruction on March 17, but some students were still in close contact with each other over spring break and in the schoolā€™s residential halls, which are still open.

4 Likes

Fauci: ā€˜I cannot do the impossibleā€™ and force Trump to stick to facts

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Sunday that he wished Donald Trump would do a better job of giving factual information about the COVID-19 pandemic and following the rules to reduce its spread.

In an interview with Science magazine, Fauci expressed frustration with Trumpā€™s rhetoric and his behavior.

Asked about Trumpā€™s presentation of information at press conferences, Fauci said that he says things ā€œin a way that I would not express it, because it could lead to some misunderstanding about what the facts are about a given subject.ā€

ā€œI canā€™t jump in front of the microphone and push him down,ā€ he added. Instead, he said, he focuses on trying to get Trumpā€™s false statements ā€œcorrected for the next time.ā€

On Thursday, for example, Trump falsely claimed that the FDA had approved the anti-malarial drug chloroquine as a COVID-19 treatment. On Friday, Fauci made clear that this was incorrect, as clinical trials have not yet determined its safety and efficacy.

For weeks Trump has made false statements about the crisis, including claims that the situation was under control, that anyone who wanted a test could get one, and that the number of cases in the United States would soon be ā€œdown close to zero.ā€

Trump has also repeatedly failed to follow CDC recommendations that everyone avoid large gatherings, practice social distancing, and refrain from handshaking.

ā€œWe should not be doing that,ā€ Fauci said of Trumpā€™s handshakes. ā€œNot only that ā€” we should be physically separating a bit more on those press conferences.ā€ He promised to keep pushing the administration to address the problem, but said, ā€œIā€™m trying my best. I cannot do the impossible.ā€

Fauci made clear in the interview that, unlike Trump, he has never used and will never use racist terminology to describe the coronavirus.

Asked about Trumpā€™s frequent boasts that he made a huge dent in the problem by limiting travel from China and his other false statements about the earliest days of the coronavirus outbreak, Fauci responded, ā€œI know, but what do you want me to do? I mean, seriously Jon, letā€™s get real, what do you want me to do?ā€

The forums donā€™t like the name of the person I am trying to post a tweet from, so here is my re-tweet of it:

4 Likes

Iā€™m short on sympathy for any illness among the college students that ignored ā€œsocial distancingā€ and are now sick after spring break partyingā€¦as a matter of fact, I hope they get a good scare out of COVID-19. Some have to learn the hard way, & sadly, by now theyā€™ve all exposed who knows how many others. :angry:

2 Likes

Does anyone out there know how to analyze the worldwide virus data? It looks to me like China has been reporting the longest, but Iā€™m not sure by how much. Probably a couple of weeks. China shows a huge number of recoveries. Does this mean that the virus hangs on for 3-4 weeks? Does it indicate a different definition of recovery? Why arenā€™t other countries showing higher recovery rates?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen these reports too in my nervous scrolling, does anyone have any recovery reports handy? Or info about the virus itself and duration of illness? That might be more useful, since disinformation is abound these days.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s good question. I would have no idea how to answer it, unfortunately. Seems like a task better left to epidemiologists and other professionals

I did find this to be useful for context

5 Likes