WTF Community

šŸ¤® Coronavirus (Community Thread)

A U.S. Navy destroyer is believed to have a significant coronavirus outbreak on board as it carries out a counter-narcotics mission in the Caribbean, U.S. officials told Reuters on Friday, marking the latest challenge for the military in dealing with the virus.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that over a dozen sailors had tested positive for the virus. Given the size of ship, usually only a few hundred sailors, an outbreak like this is likely to cause concern and raise questions about whether it would have to return to the United States.

The cases on the ship appear to be the first onboard a ship currently underway at sea.

The aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt was in the Asia Pacific when it had an outbreak onboard, having to eventually dock in Guam. Nearly 850 out of the roughly 4,800 personnel on the carrier have tested positive on the Roosevelt.

4 Likes

As a person who grew up in a town that fought developers for years, I really appreciate this story.

5 Likes

1,000 West Point Cadets are scattered around the country, staying at home for their safety.

Trump is summoning them ALL back to New York, the worst pandemic hotspot, so he can one-up Pence, who will be in Colorado for the Air Force Academy commencement.

4 Likes

The danger of blood clots with the coronavirus has been noted many times.

A Mt. Sinai/Brown study found blood clotting treatment in 4 patients helped beat Covid-19.

4 Likes

Trump administration considers leveraging emergency coronavirus loan to force Postal Service changes

President Trump has railed for years against what he sees as mismanagement of the agency, which he argues has been exploited by sites such as Amazon

So, this is more ā€œsarcasmā€, right?

Trump asked NASA if their technology could sterilize the inside of peopleā€™s lungs to kill coronavirus

4 Likes

This is the result of ā€˜sarcasm.ā€™

2 Likes

ā€œImmunity passportsā€ in the context of COVID-19

Scientific Brief

24 April 2020

WHO has published guidance on adjusting public health and social measures for the next phase of the COVID-19 response.1 Some governments have suggested that the detection of antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could serve as the basis for an ā€œimmunity passportā€ or ā€œrisk-free certificateā€ that would enable individuals to travel or to return to work assuming that they are protected against re-infection. There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection.

2 Likes

Damn it, Trump!

Illinois Poison Control Gets More Calls After Trump Incorrectly Wondered If Disinfectants Can Fight Coronavirus

One caller said he or she gargled with a mixture of bleach & mouthwash in hopes of controlling coronavirus.

2 Likes

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241884351.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article242224601.html

My own thread documenting Trumpā€™s PPE piracy:

4 Likes

The Plan for Dogs to Hunt Out the Coronavirus

Labradors and spaniels can sniff out malaria in humans, and scientists say we may be just weeks away from unleashing them to spot virus superspreaders.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-16/coronavirus-news-dogs-may-help-solve-the-virus-testing-problem

Europeā€™s Economy Was Hit Hard Too, But Jobs Didnā€™t Disappear Like In The U.S.

3 Likes

:eyes: Watch

Sheā€™s not wrong about embalming. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Medical supplier says FEMA seized 400,000 N95 masks, has them ā€˜just sitting on a loading dock at JFKā€™

I canā€™t decide if this is rank incompetence or by design, but neither is in any way acceptable.

71 percent of jobless Americans did not receive their March unemployment benefits

3 Likes

Now imagine the Great Depression without FDRā€™s ā€œNew Dealā€ but with social distancing and insufficient testing to even open the markets, thatā€™s where we are right now. :disappointed:

White House economic advisor Kevin Hassett says unemployment rate will approach Great Depression

KEY POINTS

• Speaking to reporters on the White House lawn on Sunday morning, Hassett said the unemployment rate could hit 16% and ā€œthe next couple of months are going to be terribleā€ for economic data.
  • Hassett described the coronavirus shutdown as ā€œthe biggest negative shock that our economy I think has ever seen.ā€
  • ā€œYouā€™re going to see numbers as bad as weā€™ve ever seen,ā€ Hassett said.
4 Likes

First the party in majority drops the ball and allows the USA to become the epicenter of this terrible plague and now they want to blame someone else?! His incompetence has always been a national security risk. Look at the numbers! Total confirmed cases: 965,435 ā€” Total deaths: 54,856 ā€” Total recoveries ā€” 106,985 Looking at these numbers I canā€™t imagine weā€™re even half way towards reopening the economy.

And not one flag at ordered at half staff ordered by this administration.

President of the plague. :microbe:

Hammer them back, they donā€™t have a good argument. Is the stimulus working? Are hospitals getting supplies? Are the people ok? These are valid questions.

Skip the China talk and pivot towards what America is doing for Americans right now.

Simple point. Endless options. Demand empathy from these people.

ā€œYou keep talking about China but how does that help Americans in isolation right now?ā€ Or ā€œAmericans suffering on the fronts lines or their hospital beds?ā€œ Or ā€œAmericans weeks away from financial ruin?ā€

It wonā€™t matter where the plague came from if we canā€™t pull together to right this ship of fools and save ourselves.

Read the memo :point_down:

5 Likes

The Financial Times of London still showing the US at an accelerated rate of infections. Free to read :point_down:Great graphics

Expand to see full image :point_down:

4 Likes

If youā€™re curious where this pandemic actually came from, read or listen here. This is all anyone should understand right now, the geopolitical ramifications wonā€™t matter until we contain this disease.

4 Likes

Pelosi says ā€˜guaranteed incomeā€™ plan for Americans worth considering as House Democrats push forward with next big coronavirus bill

ā€œWe may have to think in terms of some different ways to put money in peopleā€™s pockets,ā€ Pelosi said on MSNBC. ā€œOthers have suggested a minimum income, a guaranteed income for people. Is that worthy of attention now? Perhaps so.ā€

Her comments came as House Democrats push forward to unveil a major new economic rescue bill in coming days. Democrats want to boost aid for cities and states, increase funding for nutrition assistance, and raise financial support for individual Americans. The emerging Democratic bill is certain to run into opposition from most Senate Republicans, and could set off a fierce ideological and partisan battle about how much further the federal government should go in its coronavirus response as the nationā€™s economy reels heading into the election.

A basic income would protect what markets we have left as well as our people.

5 Likes

Sharing this because it made me feel good. Also sharing my personal response from my hidden mountaintop lairā€¦sorry, Chuck Berryā€¦

https://youtu.be/FaO2K3dwp2U

6 Likes

@Huddy

I love this!! Can you please share the lyrics, I wanna learn your song!

5 Likes

Navigating the web of alliances the states have had to forge because the Trump regimeā€™s federal response is an unmitigated disaster.

3 Likes