WTF Community

I am the guy behind WTFJHT. Ask Me Anything

Hi Matt,
Thanks so much for scouring the news and keeping us even overseas in the picture with US presidential policy.
Here’s my question: what do you do to keep yourself on an even keel? Following tons of “outrage” and just plain depressingly barmy events on The Hill must be quite an effort, so I’d be interested to know how you keep yourself calm and sane every day? Perhaps we can all learn from you, here?
Thanks again for staying in there and keeping us all informed.
Simon

6 Likes

I am in Houston, could you cover Trump’s plan to cut FEMA and the national flood program.

Also the lack of enforcement of the safety regulations of chemical plants, the environmental damage from this flood will be enormous because the plants that flooded were not up to spec?

There are tons of rumors flying around here on these issues and I 'd like some information that I can trust.

Thanks.

4 Likes

How do you keep sane wading through the shit-show that is the current political landscape. I keep sane by reading my WTFJHT digest… but… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it was Shakespeare or Christopher Moore (my favorite goofy author guy) who first used the term “Heinous Fuckery.” But that certainly nails our current situation.

We are assaulted on a daily basis with Trump’s insane rhetoric. I think that there isn’t a group of people in this country more pervasive, narrow minded, and dodgy than Trump’s base. My question is, is there a way for good folks to let go of our anger and somehow truly connect with his crazy-ass supporters and I don’t want to say to help them ‘see the light’ but really, to help them ‘see the light’? Elections are coming…

3 Likes

What is your advice to the Resistance? All parts of it have value and it seems the worst thing we can do is argue and fiddlefuck among each other.

Thanks for all you do…been with you since day 1!
Mesila

2 Likes

Hi Matt, thank you for all the awesome work you do every day to keep us informed! Two questions. First, I’m curious about the status of the Muller investigation. Have you seen anything on how many other facets this investigation has, or if he’s under any time constraints? Second, and this may be a tough one… while I know we can all come up with the bad things he’s done since taking office, in your opinion, is there anything he’s done right?

2 Likes

Hi Matt. Thanks for your very valuable service. Have you ever considering providing a daily “window” into what the real fake news sources are feeding their audiences? Perhaps pick what leads your lineup for any given day with the usual summaries of main stream media and then contrast that reporting with just one “alternative” news outlet, such as Breitbart, Fox, NY Post, Limbaugh, etc. I’ll bet it would make for interesting discussion here. Cheers!

4 Likes

Has anyone been effective in refuting and changing the mind of a 24/7 Fox News viewer? Would normally walk away but he’s my father in law and it’s intolerable when we visit.

1 Like

Matt, you’ve really struck a chord with WTFJHT and major kudos to you for keeping it reader funded! My only question is, have you spoken to a publisher yet?! This could become an awesome fucking book!

2 Likes

It would, but I’m not sure it’s so great to give that stuff more stage time than it already has. Personally I think it’s best to keep this site confined to real news, we have enough going on with what’s actually happening; we don’t need to worry about made-up shit. If someone wants to see what kind of news white nationalists are reading, they know where to go.

3 Likes

First of all, I want to express my sincere gratitude for the work you’ve been doing. It is my anchor. When I have to check out of the news world for the day and actually have a life, I am infinitely grateful that I can catch back up at the end of the day with your email. I also worry less that I’m missing critical issues.

I am impressed with your perseverance, commitment, writing style, humor, and leadership in stepping up and doing this important job. I would love to know what paths led you to this, and if you plan to stick with us for the long haul.

1 Like

Since you said we can ask anything… and I’m pretty sure I got the hang of WTFJHT, so, let’s get a little bit personal. I’m sure even you got asked this question when you were younger: ‘‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’’. Does your answer from the past match with what you are doing now or have been doing before you took up this job? And if your life has become something so much bigger than you expected, what is your next big goal, both personally as well as professionally?

3 Likes

Along with many others I wish to profusely thank you for providing daily articles​:dart: :newspaper:informing your readers about the latest WTF and a member discussion section.
The comments already posted cover my basic questions or suggestions.
In response to the individual on how one deals with a close family member who defends the yellow haired trumpster, I received some very helpful guidance from one of your readers directly through my email but wonder if it this could be a focused and ongoing topic between members who share tactics and results.
Nothing more heart breaking and emotionally difficult to process when witnessing your family actually being torn apart :fearful::frowning::sob::angry::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil::see_no_evil:— due to do and because of dt​:poop::poop::poop:.
Otherwise, :medal_sports::medal_sports::medal_sports:Matt my deepest respect :clap::handshake:and regard for all the work you do and the amazing additional contributions :mega::mega::mega:continually made available by dedicated members.
Oh, and want to purchase a women’s ♀small (x small depending on size n dimensions) V- necked tee shirt​:tshirt::womans_clothes:. Don’t know if these offered or you are:womans_clothes: waiting for another batch to arrive.

2 Likes

I love this question. <3

I have no idea. This thing was suppose to be just a side-project and personal challenge to finish something I’ve started. We’ve long blown past that (awesome!), but it means there’s no clear vision or plan for what this becomes.

I do know I want to involve the community more in WTFJHT’s future and direction, which is why I launched this forum. I also want empower individuals with different responsibilities and areas of ownership so that we eliminate the single point of failure being just me.

Ultimately, this really comes down to something super simple: WTFJHT should exist as long as necessary.

Specifically, that means I’ll keep doing this as long as the community keeps supporting me. If WTFJHT is valuable to you, then support it. If it stops being valuable and there’s no reason to continue supporting it, then I’ll know it’s time to pack it up. All good!

8 Likes

Progress doesn’t move in a straight line. It looks like this:

6 Likes
  1. Guy’s behavior is the result of being in over his head.
  2. Is he cunning? Sure, maybe. I tend to think the cronies in his sphere of influence are the ones that are cunning.
  3. Tweets = distraction. Correct. Also: continual poor decisions.
  4. Maggie Haberman’s reporting is probably the closest you’ll get to understanding Trump’s psyche.
3 Likes
  1. No. But you should probably horde water.
  2. Yes. I love this perspective by Elon Musk: “Being US President is like being captain of a large ship with a small rudder - there’s a limit to how much damage they can do.”
3 Likes

To borrow from NPR:

Where did the money go? It was borrowed from some rosy future that never came. And now we have to pay it back.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve made several attempts, with the handle SusannaMV. There may be a step I’m missing, because I didn’t want to do anything that might force my edits to be accepted.