WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

I know just how you feel. I lived most of my life in California, but now in Arkansas, my neighbors had trump signs in their yards, and most people seem to be rabid disciples of trump here…:nauseated_face:

1 Like

Well, I travel a lot. I’m sitting in an airport in Richmond, Virginia right now, as a matter of fact.

AMA anything about USDS! But of course starting here is good: https://www.usds.gov/

Google is ur fren. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for creating this site. When I came across wtf just happened today it made me feel like someone understood.
I live in the Heartland surrounded by Trump supporters, saved only by working in a college town with progressives. I am the mother of three children all interested in social justice. This is why I’m hopeful. The kids will make us proud.

3 Likes

Hey… Greetings from New Zealand! I’m a big fan of WTFJHT (even got the t-shirt!).

Pretty sure it was watching seven series of The West Wing that first got me interested in your very unusual model of government. My political tendencies do lean more to the left; I was a big fan of the Obamas, but find I’m still pinching myself almost daily thinking how Donald Trump even managed to get elected. Even from our little part of the world, it’s to be greatly concerned about.

There is so much news to take in on the huge changes taking place and I’ve found WTFJHT is brilliant for a daily snapshot of the most relevant info. I despise discrimination in all its forms, and I have been horrified at what’s occurred over the last year, and feel deeply for the millions of Americans who have been and continue to be affected. I applaud the journalists continuing to do their jobs in the face of lies and derision, and all those fighting to right so many wrongs.

Not much I can do from here, but I’m sure I’m only one of many on the outside looking in - and hoping for better things to come…

Kia kaha. :new_zealand:

4 Likes

It’s lucky that pinches are generally not fatal, Kristy…there’s a LOT of us pinching ourselves these days. :confused:

2 Likes

Hello from Fox Point Wisconsin. I’m a former military officer(Vietnam), architect, advertising Creative Director, corporate executive, and small business owner. I used to be non-political but three things pushed me into political activism, the undeserved attacks on President Obama, the Sandy Hook shooting and, of course, Trump. I have been on the internet since 1994 and WTFJHT is the best damn political resource I’ve ever come across. Can’t wait to read it each day. Thanks Matt!

6 Likes

My name is Katie and I live in Southern California with my husband, son, and we are expecting our daughter in July. My husband and I question our decision to bring children into this shitshow of a country every day. I work for a large bank on the corporate side, and while I don’t love being a part of financial corporate America, I do love that the work that I specifically do is working to protect customers and ensure that the bank is keeping their interests and safety in mind. Thank you, Matt, for your tireless efforts to keep us all in check. I am still hopeful that we’re going to come out of this … someday.

5 Likes

I think this is going on the press page. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi! I’m a writer, editor, legal assistant (almost a paralegal!), Mom, Grandma, and partner. I live in rural SE Arizona (not far from Tombstone), and am surrounded by uber-conservatives. I live out here because there are times I can forget I live in such a troubled country. I can only take news in bits and bytes, so WTFJHT is a wonderful way for me to stay informed. Like most everyone here, I imagine, I’m tired of slacktivism and want to help clean up this mess to leave it better for my kids and grandkids. I’m at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, and I know a lot of Gen X’rs feel we had a lot of opportunities that they will never have. That’s because we had intelligent post-war Presidents who realized that equality, education, public infrastructure and the means to obtain them were the only things that would truly make America great. And yet, despite it all, they tell me that a preponderance of my generation voted for He-who-shall-not-be-named. I’m looking forward to this community, and I won’t always be so long-winded. :wink:

6 Likes

Sometimes it just takes more words to express what’s going on or what’s in your thoughts…I don’t think you need apologize, you’re among friends here, & we’re glad to have your input. And I sympathize with your location…I lived many years in the (CA) desert, but now I just reside in a “thought-desert”…like you, I’m among way too many trump-voters. :confounded: Somehow we have to keep each other sane & motivated to fight back until this all goes away & our country is in the recovery room.

1 Like

Weird, I do my laundry in the same place you do :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m an architect–the building kind.

Have been applying open source to the practice of architecture: http://openingdesign.com/

Love that WTFJHT is trying that with media, as well.

All the Best, Ryan

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Julie from Northern Virginia. I’m 67, retired, and have been happy go lucky all my life.

A. T. (After Trump), I find myself delving into more serious reading, volunteering, and mentoring. I’m often now sad and furious. I cannot remember crying so much as I did yesterday.

I so appreciate WTF as a great way for me to catch updates on a forum that doesn’t make me want to jump off a tall building.

6 Likes

I think we ALL know that feeling. Maddening that such a huge mess takes SO long to clean up…but I’m optimistic that it will happen, we just have to hang in there for brighter times ahead.

2 Likes

Hi,
I’m Heather. I live in Massachusetts and often find myself truly shocked by the world outside our liberal bubble.
I have three of my own kids and teach first grade to 20 more.
I’ve been reading WTFJHT since the beginning and am so grateful to have it because I often find myself either unable to get to or stand to look at any news that is longer.
Thanks Matt!

9 Likes

Heather,

I trust your city/school has offered some training or video, many of which I have been watching for hours:

run, hide, fight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

Sadly, we have an active shooter training, as well as conducting regular containment drills.

From SoCal, part of a large Blue State. We are living in interesting times. Keep your wits about you and don’t give up!

6 Likes

So Cal in da house! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

:wave: welcome to the wtfam!

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m a sex positive activist, author and relationship coach (semi retired) who is currently living in Cyprus helping some friends who just adopted a little girl. I’ve been politically active since I was 15, so that’s almost 50 years. I’m a very young 65 and love talking to and meeting new people.

Allena Gabosch

3 Likes