WTF Community

šŸ“ Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

I was going to share this but I wasnā€™t sure!

Also, great complementary listening to this article (which I actually heard before the Bloomberg piece came out, I probably wouldnā€™t have read the article if I hadnā€™t heard it) is Larry Wilmoreā€™s podcast interview with Michael Lewis. Itā€™s quite interesting.

(Side note: more and more we learn about Bannonā€¦the more confirmation that Joshua Greenā€™s book, Devilā€™s Bargain is spot on.)

2 Likes

Love Larry Wilmore! I havenā€™t listened to this one. Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

The rants in the PSA episode are everything. Have a listen!:ear:

1 Like

:joy: Lovettā€™s ranttttt. yasss.

(BTW - went to the LA show taping. :grin: It was amazinggggg. Iā€™ve been to Lovett or Leave It before, but this was wayyy different. And, I meanā€¦John Legend & Chrissy Teigen! :star_struck:)

1 Like

Lovettā€™s rants are fucking everything Iā€™m mad about but canā€™t properly articulate! I canā€™t wait for PSA to come to Seattle, I went to LIOL a couple weeks ago, he had on my dream panel, Ijeoma Oluo, Lindy West, and Akilah Hughes. Even my normally super shy partner was yelling and hissing with the crowd.

1 Like

Meta-Profile:
Former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, details his experiences in the Trump White House. :grimacing:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Maybe Brooks should take an AR15 enima and call those kids in the morningā€¦thats not rude is it?

@ron This is your second inappropriate comment about violence. I will not tell you again that this is unacceptable here.

1 Like

Excellent piece.

It makes sense ā€“ 16 year olds are able to work (thus pay taxes), able to drive and in most states are tried as an adults if they commit a crime. Why shouldnā€™t they be able to vote?

3 Likes

Profile: Hope Hicks from the New Yorker

2 Likes

ā€œHeā€™s JFK with tattoos and a bench pressā€œ

A Trump voting Democrat running for Congress in WVā€¦

5 Likes

He might be a little rough for my tastes, but Ojeda at least is taking the Democrats away from the losing corporate globalist party and bringing labor back. Itā€™s kind of disingenuous to introduce him as ā€œTrump voting Democrat.ā€ The article says he regrets the decision, that he originally wanted Sanders. Thatā€™s kind of the real story, that the Democrats couldnā€™t win this area with Clinton.

And hey, if populism wins, Iā€™d rather it win on the left than on the right, and Iā€™d rather we get advocacy for our civil liberties instead of this ā€œprotect my privilegeā€ nationalist, racist, sexist march thatā€™s been going on. If I lived there, heā€™d have my vote, and I hope we get more like him.

2 Likes

From Andrew McCabe

A good (and controversial) follow up from Bret Stephensā€™ previous Op-Ed.

1 Like

David Shulkin on leaving the VA

If President Donald Trumpā€™s lawyer discussed the possibility of pardons with Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn, then it could be a whole new piece of the obstruction of justice investigation into the president [ā€¦] the report raises the possibility that the pardons were offered to influence the two men if they later faced a decision about whether to cooperate with special counsel Robert Muellerā€™s investigation into links between Russia and the Trump campaign to interfere with the 2016 presidential election.

1 Like

From the New York Times.

Mark Zuckerberg, ā€œā€¦ answered with white-noise-machine calm, like a tech-support representative asking legislators if theyā€™d tried turning their democracy off and turning it back on again.ā€

Wow, thatā€™s good.

1 Like

Stand out piece from the Seattle based alt-weekly, The Stranger on homelessness.

This group experiences the cityā€™s economy as a great depression.

Profile: Dan Scavino, ā€œthe Secretary of Offenseā€, White House social media director, the man behind Trumpā€™s Twitter account.

Quote:

One of Scavinoā€™s main roles is the care and feeding of his bossā€™s ego. He has learned how to fend off any negativity with a ready supply of superlatives. While Hope Hicks would inform Trump about how some matter might be playing in the mainstream media, Scavino, Hicks told me, would ā€œtell him how things are playing with his people. Thatā€™s a gauge for him that the president takes seriously.ā€ Checking in with the base is as easy as looking at his phone. Scavinoā€™s old friend offered an example: ā€œDan would scroll through his Twitter feed and if Franklin Graham says something particularly complimentary, heā€™ll say, ā€˜Look what Franklin Graham just wrote.ā€™ Or if [CNN show host] Brian Stelter says something particularly stupid, heā€™ll run over and say, ā€˜Look what Fake News is doing.ā€™ ā€

The full extent of Scavinoā€™s role in Trumpā€™s Twitter regimen has never been fully disclosed. White House officials initially maintained to me that he only typed and posted verbatim what Trump dictated to him, while occasionally contributing anodyne tweets relating to the presidentā€™s schedule. (ā€œNews conference at the White House concerning the Omnibus Spending Bill. 1:00 P.M.ā€) Somewhat begrudgingly, one senior official did not deny that Scavino also sometimes corrected Trumpā€™s spelling errors.

Evidence of Scavinoā€™s active participation in Trumpā€™s tweets emerged last autumn. On the morning of Oct. 4, Scavino posted to his own account one of the social media directorā€™s usual rants against the media: ā€œNBC news is #FakeNews and more dishonest than even CNN. They are a disgrace to good reporting. No wonder their news ratings are way down!ā€ One minute later, the identical message was posted on his bossā€™s account as an original Trump tweet. Scavino hastily deleted his first tweet, but not before eagle-eyed users took screen shots.

On a recent Monday in late March, I dropped by the West Wing to have one last in-person visit with some of Scavinoā€™s colleagues and hopefully catch a glimpse of the social media director. The evening before, Yashar Ali of The Huffington Post had broken the news that Scavinoā€™s wife, Jennifer, had filed for divorce several weeks earlier. I had heard rumors of the split from a former White House staff member who, while praising Scavinoā€™s crazed work ethic and fealty to Trump, casually added, ā€œBy the way, it also destroyed his marriage.ā€ Scavino had long struggled to balance his ambitions with caring for his wife, who suffers from chronic Lyme disease. That day in the West Wing, he was nowhere to be seen by the time I arrived. Scavino had boarded Air Force One with Trump and flown to Manchester to capture images of the president somberly proposing the death penalty for opioid dealers.

Perspective: Scavino makes $179k/year of taxpayer money to tweet and go on KFC runs. What an administration! :money_mouth_face:

1 Like