Must Read Op-Ed and Profiles

(nina) #81

WSJ ‘opinion’ piece suggesting there is a ‘mole’ that the FBI planted into the administration. I think that piece written by Kimberly Strassel, who is on the editorial board of Murdoch owned WSJ.

Not endorsing this…just read for outlandish conservative speak.

Tonight Rachel Maddow dove into an absolutely fascinating account of Nixon’s “Enemies List” followed by some sobering “then-and-now-comparisons.” Listening to the tapes is chilling! This is more entertaining than an episode of “Law & Order” – really! When you watch this, like Comey, you’ll be thinking, “Lordy, I hope there are tapes.”

(You’ll need to watch a brief ad before the segment, but, hey, Rachel’s got to keep the lights on.)

This is the most credible “forward looking timeline” of I’ve come across. Some astute predictions here, but really, who knows what surprises lie ahead?

Regarding Paul Manafort’s fate, Cunningham concurs with many other legal analysts:

Paul Manafort will plead guilty in the coming weeks. The two indictments against former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort, relating to his work for Ukrainian backers and his efforts to evade federal registration and to pay taxes on the proceeds of his work, are exceptionally strong. His junior partner in crime (and Trump’s deputy campaign manager) Rick Gates has already pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate. And just last week, Manafort’s former son-in-law (and former business partner), Jeffrey Yohai, pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate. There is little question, in prosecutors’ circles, that Manafort faces certain conviction and a long prison term.

Manafort at the moment is exercising his own Hail Mary defense: claiming that Mueller has exceeded his authority in charging him. That claim was roundly dismissed last week in the D.C. court, and in all likelihood the Alexandria court will follow suit. Rosenstein’s charge to Mueller to investigate allegations that Manafort “[c]ommitted a crime or crimes arising out of payments he received from the Ukrainian government” could not be more clear.

Once his Hail Mary motions fail, Manafort (and Mueller) will have every incentive to quickly reach a resolution. Manafort, who is 69, does not want to spend the rest of his years in prison.

Thank you, NYT, for publishing this in-depth flow-chart of the possible paths the investigation could take – very informative – this covered many crucial “forks-in-the-road” that I didn’t even realize existed. Awesome reporting.

@Keaton_James That’s so funny, I had just finished reading that piece too. Lol. Best explainer yet. :nerd_face:

(nina) #86

We really do not have a full picture of what Wray, Rosenstein and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III (with whom Rosenstein and Wray almost certainly consulted) are up to. They may wind up providing nothing more than what is available currently in the media.

What is clear is that Republican members of Congress are “utterly supine in the face of the moral vandalism that flows from the White House daily,” as Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) aptly put it in a commencement address at Harvard Law School on Wednesday.